Saint Louis Cut Spare Ribs

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
What is the consensus?
cut full packers down before or after they cook?

I have always cooked spare ribs uncut (trim fat & remove membrane), and cut into ribs and riblets afterwards.
However more & more I read to cut them down pre-cook.

what have you found works best?

What do you do about the riblets then?

When you cook them as full packers, you don't really have that issue, but it does take up more room.

We always trim to St Louis before cooking. The other parts cook quicker and are perfect for the cooks treat. Actually, most of the time we pull the trimmings when done, let them cool, and foodsaver for beans, etc. Maybe I am crazy, but I think the St Louis cut makes a better rack of ribs.

We always trim to St Louis before cooking. The other parts cook quicker and are perfect for the cooks treat. Actually, most of the time we pull the trimmings when done, let them cool, and foodsaver for beans, etc. Maybe I am crazy, but I think the St Louis cut makes a better rack of ribs.

I do that with the skirt, but normally leave the tips on, and cut to st. louis after. I will have to try it the other way around.

js, try each way and see what you like. Obviously, folk like to do it different, so try all the suggestions and see what you like the best. There is no right or wrong way and this forum will try to give you unselfish options. Keep us posted on what you like.

I've never cut them down or pealed them either, I didn't know I was supposed to. No one has complained.

I trim the ribs before smoking. The trimmings are cut into smaller pieces so they cook faster. This allows me to double check my quality control as the slabs cook. I'm able to tell how they are going to taste at various points during the 6+ hour cook.

My wife thinks I cook the trimmings so I have something to nibble on while cooking. I'm trying to convince her otherwise.

My wife thinks I cook the trimmings so I have something to nibble on while cooking. I'm trying to convince her otherwise.[/QUOTE]

You may be attempting to fool her, but not us! We all know you are doing it that way so you can sample your good work. Life is Good!

Never trimmed mine and most of the time I can't seem to get more than half the membrane off either (getting better though!) Might try at least trimming the skirt Monday... but we also usually split one untrimmed rack between three people and there haven't been complaints yet.

If you do Competition cooking you pull membrane and cut skirt and cut tips prior to square up for judges "Apearance" catagory. The cutting from Spare to st. louis will also ensure an even cook down all the bones (same size).

I cook the skirts for a snack .. I mean quality control and chop up, vacuum seal and freeze the tips for beans and such.

I always cook St louis style spares over loin (Baby Backs) as much more meat and less shiners (exposed bones on back side).

The method I use for taking off the membrane is really simple and after a few thousand ribs, it is the best I have found. I take a regular teaspoon and use the handle end towards the rib turned upside down (spoon open part facing away from palm). I then go to the middle of the rack and work the handle between two bones on the oppisite side as skirt. You wand to work it in just under thin membrane on bottom side of rack and not too deep. As soon as I am in about an inch, I remove spoon handle and work a finger and then two in all the way across the membrane and then pull off membrane.

Hope that helps....

I do Competition cooking and was taught to cut them into Saint Louis style before you cook them. The rib tips I either chow down or give away.

I did spares for 100 people recently, trimmed them down so I could fit all those racks into two Banderas. The trimmings weighed about 30 pounds, way way too much to snack on (understatement). I filled up three foil pans with trimmings (raw) and froze them. I take one out and boil the meat until it's falling apart, then pick out the bone bits and cartilage and fat, saving the meat. I strain the broth, defat it, and reduce it to fit into a quart jar. Then I make huge batches of rice pilaf, using the meat and the broth and a few caramelized sweet onions. The teenagers scarf ..

seattlepitboss

I cut and trim prior to cooking so the racks cook evenly. Having the trimmings for a snack and beans is definately a bonus. Have fun and see what you like best.

Last edited:
Back