KCBS BoD Election Results

Alexa RnQ

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoe
January 15, 2011
Election Results for KCBS 2011 Board of Directors

The Kansas City Barbeque Society is proud to announce the results for the 2011 Board of Directors Election.

The top four candidates by number of votes have been elected to serve a three year term to the KCBS Board of Directors:

Randy Bigler Receives 1007 votes, 38.87% of the total
Mark Simmons Receives 989 votes, 38.17% of the total
Mike Budai Receives 916 votes, 35.35% of the total
Tana Shupe Receives 910 votes, 35.12% of the total
In addition the fifth candidate by number of votes, has been elected to serve a remaining two year term to the KCBS Board of Directors:

Arlie Bragg Receives 811 votes, 31.30% of the total

The remaining candidates received the following votes:

Thom Emery Receives 644 votes, 24.86% of the total
Ford Alison Receives 625 votes, 24.12% of the total
Sonny Ashford Receives 588 votes, 22.69% of the total
Jim Stancil Receives 518 votes, 19.99% of the total
Dale Newstrom Receives 513 votes, 19.80% of the total
John Kirby Receives 402 votes, 15.52% of the total
Scott Kuklin Receives 288 votes, 11.12% of the total

Election Statistics:
Total ballots returned 2591
Total number of eligible voters 14060
Percent of ballot return 18.43%

The Board of Kansas City Barbeque Society wishes to thank Ed Roith and Carol Whitebook for their dedication and service to the Board and members of KCBS as their terms expire. We know we will continue to see them serving our organization in other capacities in future years.

The Board of Directors wishes to thank all the members who took the time to vote and support our great organization.

18.43% voted. That sucks. This was a very important election. Amazing how many gripe without casting a ballot. Just like political elections. Hard to understand. Steve.

That's pathetic! For an organization that has that many members, that return shows why the KCBS is the way it is! FYI members we do have a VOTE! Remember that and use it! Congrats to those that got elected and please make the necessary changes that need to be made to make the KCBS better as a whole!

Those who didn't bother to vote have no moral standing allowing them to beotch about how KCBS is run. Just how much farkin' easier does it have to be before some people will cast a ballot?

That's pathetic! For an organization that has that many members, that return shows why the KCBS is the way it is! FYI members we do have a VOTE! Remember that and use it! Congrats to those that got elected and please make the necessary changes that need to be made to make the KCBS better as a whole!

Aren't the majority of members judges ? A good portion are probably one hit wonders who pay the membership fees to take a class to get certified and maybe to particpate at a local event etc....

If non-active judges are the majority of the membership pool, the stance of the candidates probably don't mean all that much which then puts more perspective to the % voted .

Aren't the majority of members judges ? A good portion are probably one hit wonders who pay the membership fees to take a class to get certified and maybe to particpate at a local event etc....

I'd speculate that 80%+ of the membership is 2 year or less casual CBJ's.

If non-active judges are the majority of the membership pool, the stance of the candidates probably don't mean all that much which then puts more perspective to the % voted .

Vinny you make a great point and I do not disagree! This is one example of what the KCBS needs to change in order to make the vote that much more important.

Jon

Vinny you make a great point and I do not disagree! This is one example of what the KCBS needs to change in order to make the vote that much more important.

Jon

The other side of that is with only 15% of the membership being active, the concerned members couldn't put 1100 votes together?

Can anyone substantiate the above insinuations that the voting pool is made up of non-active judges? Where does this information come from? Why shouldn't a non-active judge who is interested in the organization vote? Being "active" is a qualifier? Why didn't 82% of the membership vote when it is soooooooo easy and takes only a minute?

There was an anti-judge message on another forum this morning, too. I don't get it. I'm assuming this is a manifestation of loathing on the part of some who think judges are lower forms of life. Fact: The power lies in VOTES, not in judges, cooks or "non-active" members of any stripe.

Reality Break

How many voted in your last school board election when it wasn't tied to a national election? Less than 18% in most cases.

And I do agree that this Forum couldn't martial enough votes to make a change. How many Brethren are there? Now how many are actually KCBS dues paying members? Now how many voted? I think the answer to # 2 is the key here.

Congrats to our new KCBS BOD

The membership has spoken. It's time to move on and support our new Board and to give them a chance. This is our organization and we have chosen these people to represent us and to make decisions for us. We may not agree with them but at the end of the day we need to support the organization.

I for one will be real interested in the major changes coming to the CBJ program. It was obviously a key issue. I'm disappointed that there wasn't more support for national programs but hope that this will still come to happen and that some BOD member will decide to champion a national SR Q program.
This is written from my hotel room in Ft Peirce FL after another great FBA contest. Will head hone to Lakeland until Friday when I head out for the third weekend in a string of 6 out of 7 weeks cooking contests. Week 5 is my wedding and we're having it at a beach although I suggested going to a contest. Week 8 is open right now then 2 more right after and looking for more in March. Starting week 4 I'll be vending and competing at most.

Those who didn't bother to vote have no moral standing allowing them to beotch about how KCBS is run. Just how much farkin' easier does it have to be before some people will cast a ballot?

Ain't that the truth Dave. That was super easy to vote and I am happy to be one of the 18% that did vote for my choice for BOD. Not all of them got it (OK, I think only one made it in) but I voted.

I was happy to see more cooks on the ballot and thats all who i want to vote for, is the cooks.

Thank you to all who ran and congrats to those that made it in.:clap2:

Let me put out a question. My wife and I are both members but we only got one ballot that only came to me?

Can anyone substantiate the above insinuations that the voting pool is made up of non-active judges? Where does this information come from? Why shouldn't a non-active judge who is interested in the organization vote? Being "active" is a qualifier? Why didn't 82% of the membership vote when it is soooooooo easy and takes only a minute?

There was an anti-judge message on another forum this morning, too. I don't get it. I'm assuming this is a manifestation of loathing on the part of some who think judges are lower forms of life. Fact: The power lies in VOTES, not in judges, cooks or "non-active" members of any stripe.

Hub - I can't validate my comment.. Take it for what it's worth (which admittedly isn't worth anything) as I've not renewed my KCBS membership for the past few years..There is no "anti-judge" perspective on my part. Just general observation.

Last edited:
If the theory that the preponderance of membership is composed of judges is indeed true (and I don't see why not), there's one good contributing reason. Membership is required to be a CBJ. It's entirely optional for the teams. Out of a team with 4 or 5 members, are they ALL KCBS members?

I'm part of a two-person team. We both have individual memberships. We both vote.

I think you are misinterpreting my post, there was nothing "anti-judge" about it. It was sheer speculation on numbers. Every year there are hundreds of CBJ classes turning out 30-50-70 CBJ's at a clip. Each new CBJ is a member for the next year. I'm willing to bet that these "casual" CBJ's make up the bulk of the KCBS membership. How many of them actually care about what's going on in KCBS? From the vote tallies it's safe to say not very many.

Election Statistics:
Total ballots returned 2591
Total number of eligible voters 14060

Congratulations to the new Board members. But the above statement is, in a word, un-farking-believable.

Just a lowly CBJ here who cooks at least once a year, I'm a dues paying member of KCBS (not because I have to,but want to) Also a member in good standing of the Iowa BBQ Society.
I voted, I offer constructive criticism when required, and truly enjoy the sport of BBQ.
I think I'm doing my part. Why aren't those of you who cook only doing your part?
Join up, join in, make a difference maybe.
Smoke on Garth....
Ed

Back