MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Wild Leek Sunday...

Spring finally made an appearance here in Western New York, so yesterday the wife, I and our faithful companion went back in the woods to get some wild leeks (or ramps if you live in other parts), timing was perfect. Today I searching for leek recipes and found this one for "Wild Leek Pie". I was a little skeptical at first, but it was mighty tasty. Definitely a keeper. It fit in perfect with some pulled pork, ribs and shrimp on the UDS. Here's a few pics of a beautiful Sunday. Got dinner in just before the rain hit.

Leek recipes-http://north-link.net/cmsakry/1pub/8904mod1.htm

using my favorite temp controller

Duke sleeping on the job

Bob
Semper Fi

Last edited by Budman1; 04-28-2013 at 10:01 PM..
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 04-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I bet that IS good! Nice work, and nice deck!

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
landarc

Nice, yeah, those wild leeks are terrific. Nice plate

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Mark Warren
is one Smokin' Farker

Awesome Plate
Mark Warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

Nice Nice Nice! And thanks for note on the leek site.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:27 AM   #6
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Looks good mate, does the wild leek taste like store bought?
Duke looks real stressed mate

Old 04-29-2013, 03:19 AM   #7
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Looks downright good enough to eat!
Sounds like you had a great day.

KC

Old 04-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Did some reading about ramps because I raise them. There were some references about being like a leek. What! Not true! You can buy leeks in the store but not a ramp. Ramps are sold at outdoor events because of the strong odor. Much stronger than a leek. One tiny ramp has as much power as a whole basket of leeks. I like them both. Caution, don't eat ramps around someone you like.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTitch View Post
Looks good mate, does the wild leek taste like store bought?
Duke looks real stressed mate
I always pick them wild, so I really don't know. Rumor has it, and as Captdan says, that wild leeks are a lot stronger than commercially grown leeks or ramps. Up here in New York we call them "leeks", a little farther south, towards West Virginia they call them "Ramps". And as Captdan states "Caution, don't eat ramps around someone you like."... Or eat them around somebody you don't like. We've pickled them before with good results and I've even seen wine made from them, though I haven't tasted it. Yet.

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

Titch,wild leek has a taste all of its own. Cross between garlic and onion. Not even close to the home grown/domesticated variety.

I use the white portions,cut lengthwise,dehydrate them and grind them up into ramp Powder. Awesome stuff. You have to use it sparingly though, it is potent.

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
[COLOR=Blue]Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
[/COLOR]
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Most people work their butts off all week dreaming of a day like that! The simple things with family and good food> Good Job!
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
JerBQ
On the road to being a farker

Hey Budman, we're practically neighbors - I'm down in Allegany County, or as we say "Agony" County. I too have been partaking of spring's bounty lately. Keeps the in-laws away. Not to hijack, but here's a new one I tried a few weeks back, which went over huge with my fellow leek lovers: cold smoked leek dip. Just soften up some cream cheese, mix in some minced leeks (as many as you think you'd like, (I liked a ton), some shredded cheddar, a splash of vinegar (I used my home made cider vinegar), some crisp bacon bits and some black pepper. I lined a shallow aluminum pan with cling wrap, plopped the dip in and spread it out to get a good surface area, and cold smoked with my Amaze-n-Smoker for about 5 hours with hickory pellets. Killer.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #13
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Now that's what I call a productive day.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
BobM
Babbling Farker

Very nice!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #15
Arky Hog
Found some matches.

Hope you didn't work inside the next day. My experience with these when living up North was the next day was a good day to fumigate for any bugs. A bunch of guys at fishing camp drinking beer and eating ramps was really bad.