MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
Mattlsmith
On the road to being a farker

Default What is the Best Way to Defrost Ribs in 12 hours?

All,

I wanna smoke some baby backs tomorrow morning but they are completely frozen. They are from Sam's in a nice cryovac but I was wondering if any of the brethren had any tips on how to un-freeze my ribs by the morning?

I was thinking of putting it in a cold bath for 30 minutes and then into the fridge over night but I dont know if that would work.

Also part 2 of the question, if I defrost the ribs can I take 1 rack and smoke it and leave another rack in the fridge for a later day? If so how long can it stay in the fridge before I need to use it? Also is it possible to freeze the extra rack after being defrosted?
Mattlsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Ice bath is the best way to thaw ribs, once they are thawed out throw them in the fridge, they will last a few days so I wouldn't worry if you plan to cook them that quickly.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have soaked them in water (still in the cryo) for an hour, that will be enough, that from there to the fridge will allow them to thaw out completely. As long as you can get them separated, there is nothing wrong with putting partially thawed racks on a smoker.

If it is just a day, I cook both racks until done, wrap one with a little apple juice and sauce (it that is your poison) then foil and store over night. You can even reheat them in the oven the next day (300F for 40 minutes or so, or grill them, broil them whatever). I tend no to refreeze meat, but, that is a personal superstition.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
Mattlsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I have soaked them in water (still in the cryo) for an hour, that will be enough, that from there to the fridge will allow them to thaw out completely. As long as you can get them separated, there is nothing wrong with putting partially thawed racks on a smoker.

If it is just a day, I cook both racks until done, wrap one with a little apple juice and sauce (it that is your poison) then foil and store over night. You can even reheat them in the oven the next day (300F for 40 minutes or so, or grill them, broil them whatever). I tend no to refreeze meat, but, that is a personal superstition.
Did you just throw it in cold water or an ice bath?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Fill a cooler with cold water and toss 'em in in the packaging they will thaw in a few hrs.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

No need for an ice bath, your ribs are essentially your "ice", anyway yep just in some cold water for a few hours, done deal. Once the cryovac is broke, you are probably good for 5-6 days in a good cold refer, or you can refreeze them.

KC

Old 03-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
Mattlsmith

Thank you all for the great advice, the ribs are now enjoying a nice bath.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

I put them in the tub and run enough cold water over them to cover and leave them for a few hours. Then I tell the wife what I did and she cleans the tub. Apparently the cryo is dirtier than the tub. Win win on my end.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

you can do this in an hour to 90 mins if u want. (i use the sink, not the tub.. and wash it real good first).

cool water bath for a little while in cryo, then open them and run warm water on the sides and work your fingers in between to seperate them.

once seperate, then back to cool water.. they thaw quick, then dry with a paper towel and rub em down.. :)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #10
nthole
Babbling Farker

Microwave?

When I freeze the I do the cool water cooler thing. They thaw pretty fast.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

I leave them on the counter and let them thaw the old fashioned way.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

As mentioned above. ^^^ Single packaged racks of Baby Back Ribs in the Cryovac will thaw in about an hour in the sink with cold water. I've done it numerous times. Cheers!!!