MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #5326
sjm845
Got Wood.

I've got an idea for the doors that I'd like to try. I would cut the opening out in the drum and them use a donor drum to cut a slightly larger opening to cover the door. My mod wouldn't use a latch though. If magnets are good enough to seal the intakes for many, why wouldn't lining the perimeter of the door with magnets prevent the air escaping? The gauge of the steel would be similar so heat loss should not be a problem. You could use magnet strips if they were strong enough or I was planning on "borrowing" some high powered mags from the physics dept at school.

Do you think silicone would still be necessary? I've got 2 barrels in the yard and might just try this for version 2.0. Probably not anytime soon...wife is due next month so I'll be on lockdown! If anyone thinks it's a good idea try it out and let me know.
SLOATSBURG, NY
[URL="http://tellyouwhatbbq.com"]TELLYOUWHATBBQ.COM[/URL]
[URL="http://facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
Twitter: [URL="http://twitter.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]@tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
RUB IT...SMOKE IT...PULL IT!
sjm845 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #5327
jkstone
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I had considered magnets, just make sure you find some that are rated for high heat. Regular magnets (even standard neodinium (sp?) magnets) will lose their power under high heat.
jkstone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #5328
hath
On the road to being a farker

yes... some do deteriorate under heat... but those using fridge magnets dont seem to have an issue...

Old 02-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #5329
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstone View Post
OK, so first off... thanks for the great info... really, everyone! I decided to through the K.I.S.S. method out the window despite a lot of advice to the contrary. Anyhow, here is my UDS:

http://stonejk.blogspot.com/2010/02/smoker.html

Let me know what you think!
Drum looks nice. Looks like you got a nice seal on the doors! You use the doors much? I thought about making a drum like that ages ago. Now, I just like 'em plain and ugly as I can. I don't even paint 'em, just let 'em rust.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #5330
jkstone

I would venture to guess that there is a signifigant heat difference and strength needed to hold a door shut inside the barrel versus the heat on the outside the barrel and strength needed to simply bock an intake vent.

I have only cooked (still cooking) on mine once... we'll see how often I use the doors after a few cooks. I don't anticipate using them a lot, but I like the option.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #5331
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage_Man View Post
What are the bolts for that are sticking through the beaten flat lip? Also and chance you would post a close-up pic of how the lid sits on the drum? I have a SS drum that I'm trying to decide what I'm going to use for a lid.
Since the lid was a tad small I had to mash out the lip of the dome so it would fit on the drum. It sat fine on the drum but in a wind I felt that it would blow off and it didn't seal real well. So I sat back and thought......light bulb momennt and I drilled four holes and installed four nuts and bolts. They just happen to angle in on their own and now hold the lid securely. Still did not seal to my likeing so I applied some furnace gasket to the lid. Now with the bolts and gasket I have a secure lid with no leaks. Smoke on......

Pic:

Lid with gasket:

Hope this helps, if not ask away .

If you take note the pic of the drum with the lid on it is in use.........

Paul B
SS UDS

Last edited by Paul B; 02-25-2010 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: added verbage....or garbage!!!!!
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #5332
BadHorsieBBQ

Burning out my drum this morning. One step closer.
BadHorsieBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #5333
NASCARican
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHorsieBBQ View Post
Burning out my drum this morning. One step closer.
AWESOME!! Good luck brother...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/a...&id=1638801679
NASCARican is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #5334
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I had considered magnets, just make sure you find some that are rated for high heat. Regular magnets (even standard neodinium (sp?) magnets) will lose their power under high heat.
I'm sure that there is truth to what you say but I think the defining temp is much higher than our drums achieve. I have often seen people use magnetic probe holders on the grill, and I have used magnetic intake dampers on my UDS at temps above 400 degrees.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #5335
jkstone

Only one way to settle this: FIGHT TO THE DEATH!!!

Or someone could try it. My biggest concern is the temp difference inside the barrel. I noticed during my cook yesterday that I could lay my hand flat on the outside of the barrel, but when I touched the cooking grate... OUCH!!

Old 02-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #5336
jkstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARican View Post

Now what is disturbing about this thread is the 3 pics of the dog, followed by fire, and meat.... WHAT HAPPENED TO THE DOG?!?

Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #5337
wayner123
Got Wood.

I found a few barrels that I am not sure will work. They used to hold spray-in foam insulation glue. He said the inside is bare metal with some small traces of glue. Do you all think these will be alright if I give it a burn and washing?
wayner123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #5338
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

check the label on the drum and look up the warnings. some foams contain $hit like iso-cyanurate that break down into cyanide.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #5339
NASCARican
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Now what is disturbing about this thread is the 3 pics of the dog, followed by fire, and meat.... WHAT HAPPENED TO THE DOG?!?

HAHA!! She won't stay still long enough to get her in a pot...thats crazy gracie!!
NASCARican is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #5340
BadHorsieBBQ

No police or firefighters. Guess I made it through the drum burn out ok. 98 percent of exterior paint gone. Only casualties to report are a few singed eyebrows and eye lashes. My kids could not tell that there was anything different about my face, so I guess I am good. A few more holes to drill, clean up paint, assembly and I will be ready to season my UDS.
BadHorsieBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker