MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:32 PM   #2986
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Bros, lots of good designs for the fire baskets have been posted. The 24 inch clearance is from the bottom of the fire basket to the bottom of the grate. However you build the basket...still measure the bottom of the fire basket. Just my understanding of the UDS build and knowing that works.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2009, 11:02 PM   #2987
masiewiz
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Step drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzspot View Post
If you have a Harbor Freight near you, the step drill bits are cheaper there than anywhere else I've found.
Yeh, they do get the job done and mine was $14 at Harbor, but they don't make very clean holes compared to the nice $44 step bit at HD. I have the nice one, but it doesn't go to 1'', but it cuts super clean and like butter. But the Harbor freight bit will get er done, but you might need to file out the burrs.

Masiewiz
masiewiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #2988
Digi
Full Fledged Farker

Brand new drum: $35
Weber Gold CL score: $20
Ball valve & nipples: $15
All other parts: $0 <--- The benefits of a friend with a shop.
Fully assembled UDS: Priceless

The "Binford UDS 1000" is 99% complete. Enough to smoke on anyways... :D

Weber lid was not an easy fit. Had to hammer out the lip and then reshape it on the drum... Fits great now! LOL! Need another rack and eventually will get a turkey fryer thermo, but for now I'll just use the digital stuff. Plan on building a "vest" (UDS version of a BGE's "nest"). The charcoal basket (looks HUGE btw... LOL) needs to be wired to the grate, but that will be done this weekend. Other than that... here she is:

http://img512.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=pic0172.jpg
22.5" Weber OTG - dubbed "Little Bit"
[/COLOR]
Digi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #2989
ytsejam
Full Fledged Farker

So i started my usd in the fall. i got the barrel, burned it, wire brushed it, took it to the car wash, rubbed it down with manteca, and drilled 3 intake holes. then found a cheep 22.5 inch weberlike grill at walmart on clearance for 20 bucks. This was all in sept/oct. it has been sitting in the back yard unfinished since.
so yesterday i decided to get back after it. suprisingly there was very little rust in the inside of the barrel. the outside is rusted pretty good.

I am a cheapguy, so i decided to try to use the weberlike bottom for my charcoal pan. I cut it with tin snips, so it will fit inside the drum. i drilled about 10 or so 7/8 inch holes in it, and a whole bunch of 1/4 inch holes. then i mounted it to a round cookie sheet/pizza pan thingy(to catch the ashes). Right now it sits about 3.5 inches above the bottom of the drum. but it is mounted with all thread, so i could lower it or raise it if need be.
I had it all planned out 7 months ago, but i can't remember how high i should mount the grill above the fire basket.
I remember it was pretty close to the top, but having trouble remembering if there was general consensus as to how far up from the charcoal it should be.
So how far should i be up?

Once i mount this grill, it will be ready to go, except for a paint job :)
ytsejam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #2990
Digi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsejam View Post
So i started my usd in the fall. i got the barrel, burned it, wire brushed it, took it to the car wash, rubbed it down with manteca, and drilled 3 intake holes. then found a cheep 22.5 inch weberlike grill at walmart on clearance for 20 bucks. This was all in sept/oct. it has been sitting in the back yard unfinished since.
so yesterday i decided to get back after it. suprisingly there was very little rust in the inside of the barrel. the outside is rusted pretty good.

I am a cheapguy, so i decided to try to use the weberlike bottom for my charcoal pan. I cut it with tin snips, so it will fit inside the drum. i drilled about 10 or so 7/8 inch holes in it, and a whole bunch of 1/4 inch holes. then i mounted it to a round cookie sheet/pizza pan thingy(to catch the ashes). Right now it sits about 3.5 inches above the bottom of the drum. but it is mounted with all thread, so i could lower it or raise it if need be.
I had it all planned out 7 months ago, but i can't remember how high i should mount the grill above the fire basket.
I remember it was pretty close to the top, but having trouble remembering if there was general consensus as to how far up from the charcoal it should be.
So how far should i be up?

Once i mount this grill, it will be ready to go, except for a paint job :)

24" from the bottom of the charcoal basket. so in ur case 27.5" from the bottom of the barrel.
[/COLOR]

Old 04-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #2991
ytsejam
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi View Post
24" from the bottom of the charcoal basket. so in ur case 27.5" from the bottom of the barrel.
thanks.
i just noticed, someone else wrote that at the top of this page

i should have read

im gonna go get after it. i took some pics when i started, hopefully my wife didn't delete them yet
ytsejam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #2992
Digi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi View Post
Brand new drum: $35
Weber Gold CL score: $20
Ball valve & nipples: $15
All other parts: $0 <--- The benefits of a friend with a shop.
Fully assembled UDS: Priceless

The "Binford UDS 1000" is 99% complete. Enough to smoke on anyways... :D

Weber lid was not an easy fit. Had to hammer out the lip and then reshape it on the drum... Fits great now! LOL! Need another rack and eventually will get a turkey fryer thermo, but for now I'll just use the digital stuff. Plan on building a "vest" (UDS version of a BGE's "nest"). The charcoal basket (looks HUGE btw... LOL) needs to be wired to the grate, but that will be done this weekend. Other than that... here she is:

http://img512.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=pic0172.jpg

On top of all this... Mom just showed up and handed me 2 grocery bags and says... "here... i brought your new DDS (couldn't remember UDS) a birthday present."... inside was a 10 lb picnic and 2 chickens, and then handed me the keys and told me to grab the bag of charcoal out of the trunk... LMAO! I LOVE MY MOMMA!
[/COLOR]

Old 04-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #2993
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Hey JTank, the charcoal basket is 8" tall and the grate is wired on 3" above the bottom of the basket. I have never had to fill all 5" for a cook. The diameter is the size of the Weber charcoal grate.

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #2994
pinghacker
Knows what a fatty is.

Hey Digi, Where did you find a new drum for $35?
pinghacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #2995
masiewiz
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default New paint

do you all think normal spray paint can take the heat? I never go above 275 and I hate the engine block paint colors. Does anyone use rustoleum paint?
masiewiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #2996
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

I used good ol' Krylon primer and paint on the last one.
Had it up to 400° last weekend without any problems.

This thing has about two dozen cooks to it's credit.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by masiewiz View Post
do you all think normal spray paint can take the heat? I never go above 275 and I hate the engine block paint colors. Does anyone use rustoleum paint?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1459.jpg (81.5 KB, 1375 views)
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #2997
hosshess
Knows what a fatty is.

Default help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosshess View Post
Question from a FNG. I found a cache of about 50 drums of which i can have as many as I can haul away. Question is... they had water blown insulation in them. Safe to use? Thanks and i am looking forward to my first build.

anyone got any ideas about this stuff? Is heat the answer? Thanks for all help.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #2998
JTank70
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Hey JTank, the charcoal basket is 8" tall and the grate is wired on 3" above the bottom of the basket. I have never had to fill all 5" for a cook. The diameter is the size of the Weber charcoal grate.
Barbarian, thank you. I can make two of those out of my hunk of expanded metal then(planning ahead for UDS # 2).

That is good news. Mine will be 1/4" shorter (7 3/4") than yours is but I am sure it will be fine. The charcoal grate is the only part of the puzzle I am missing at this point. I am going to go get it tomorrow night.

I started out having trouble finding a barrel and now I have Five of them.
The first one (not in photo)was a freebie from my boss but I was a little unsure about it because it smelled a tiny bit like fuel oil.

The next two (yellow and blue in pic) I got off Craig list for $25 with extra lids. They are food grad and had mango and cranberry puree’ sp. In them. The blue one has the red liner in it and it seems to be thick and tough. The yellow one is a much lighter barrel but it has a tan liner that looks like it would be easily burned out. Because of this I think the yellow one is going to be my best bet. Even though My favorite barrel is the blue one because it is a nice heavy drum.

The last two (black ones in pic) were free and had a water boune non toxic biodegradable coating (paint) in them. The paint was actually in a heavy duty bag inside the barrel too. These two have a orange liner but it does not look as thick or tough as the liner in the blue barrel.

The two black ones came with the interesting lids with two 2” bungs. One right in the center of the lids.

This past week has been extremely high fire danger in my area. It is going to rain all day tomorrow and part of Saturday so I hope I can do some drum burning this weekend.

Thanks to everyone for all your help thus far.
I will update with more pics As I go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smallCIMG2214.JPG (52.3 KB, 1363 views)
File Type: jpg smallCIMG2213.JPG (49.9 KB, 1358 views)
File Type: jpg smallCIMG2209.JPG (21.7 KB, 1359 views)
File Type: jpg smallCIMG2211.JPG (34.0 KB, 1362 views)

Old 04-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #2999
JTank70
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
I used good ol' Krylon primer and paint on the last one.
Had it up to 400° last weekend without any problems.

This thing has about two dozen cooks to it's credit.

Weiser

That thing is Smokin' Even when it is not smoking. Is that a vinyl decal?

Old 04-30-2009, 09:19 PM   #3000
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Oh Crap!!!

I posted the wrong photo!
I'm in trouble now.

Actually it is one of those flexible magnet things.
Like the ones that are attached to every new phone book you get,
only bigger.
This looks horrible up close, I thought I was purchasing a neat piece of airbrushed nose art.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTank70 View Post
That thing is Smokin' Even when it is not smoking. Is that a vinyl decal?
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker