MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #16
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakdung View Post
Do you have an alternate recommendation?

Sure a bigger one
Look I have gone through several deep fryers over the yrs and this is by far my favorite
Easy to clean and easy to fix if needed. You can buy parts unlike the throw away fryers

I have had mine for almost 2yrs and it's just Awesome

Please never buy a fryer with non stick coating

Old 06-29-2013, 12:04 AM   #17
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Cajun fryer I have one and it is awesome
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2013, 12:31 AM   #18
mbshop
Babbling Farker

bought a half fancy one and used it once. went back the cast iron skillet.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:52 AM   #19
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

The question is this. How often do you need to use it and how are you going to use it?

If you are talking about the occasional home type use then I would suggest something in line with the Presto or Cajunfryer. For the money these will serve the purpose.

If you plan to use this fairly often and more heavily, such as for vending or catered events, then I suggest you go with something more in line with the aforementioned Avantco or even a Globe PF16E 16 lb Stainless Steel Electric Countertop Fryer LINK. They are more expensive but are more in the commercial line and you will be glad you did when it comes to cleaning/repairing and heavier usage. You get what you pay for with this type of equipment. Generally the higher the price the more heavily built and more reliable the item is.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:09 AM   #20
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakdung View Post
I would take a look at Presto. I believe the element is removable, and it comes in single and dual basket models. It is controlled by a digital thermostat.

http://www.gopresto.com/products/pro...hp?stock=05466
I have an earlier version of this and it is NOT a nightmare to clean. I would definately recommend this unit.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:19 AM   #21
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
If I had it to do over again, I would look for these things.

1. Immersion heating coil, preferably removable/replaceable.
2. Simple controls and design.
3. No filters or other do hickeys allegedly to control oil or spray, useless.
4. Removable oil reservoir for easier cleaning.
5. As much stainless in a smooth surface as possible
Landarc list is spot on to what I have currently and looking to replace... I would go 2 pot vs one.... special if your planing on vending. You can do 2 different temps or even swap back and forth to make sure oil has had time to recover. I'm looking at something like this to replace a single pot version(different maker but same feature list)
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #22
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

I have a butterball electric turkey fryer. Their made by masterbuilt. Wally world sells them around Thanksgiving for around 100 bucks, but I picked up my from some left over stock last summer and they were only 50 bucks! This thing can fry a fourteen pound turkey but I think that's a little to snug for the fryer basket they provide. I did a 12 lb one it it fit nicely. IMO I think their a pretty decent fryer and I have been very happy with mine. Sorry I don't have a link, but I'm sure you could google them to find some more info.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #23
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Landarc described my fryer perfectly. It's branded GE and probably made in China. I use it at least once a week and never had a problem. Sits on the deck in a plastic bag. Less than 50 bucks at WW.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #24
Big Frank
Full Fledged Farker

I'm thinking about buying this.

22" weber
Weber Genesis S-330
Camerons Stovetop Smoker
Super-Fast Splash-Proof[COLOR="Red"] RED[/COLOR] Thermapen
[FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][B] [I] Imbas Certified MOINK Baller [/B][/I]
[/COLOR][/FONT]
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Big Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #25
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

We use an eight quart stainless steel pot and a spider. Had a few specialized deep fryers in the past, hated all of them. Generally don't like the one use cookers due to limited kitchen space.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #26
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
I know this doesn't fit some of your requirements, but IMO, household fryers suck. I've got three. Two smaller ones, and one that can deep fry a turkey if I wanted. Other than their initial use, they haven't been used in about two years. If I'm deep frying anything I just dump oil into my enameled cast iron dutch/french oven. It's an incredible multitasker and isn't just some bulky and annoying gadget that takes up a ton of space or is a pain to clean.
Took the words right out of my mouth! I have a "household fryer" with all the accoutrements, and like you, I find I do most frying simply with some oil and a frying pan on my side burner on my gasser. Not that the fryer doesn't work well, it does, but in my experience if the tool isn't within easy reach it doesn't get used, and I simply don't fry enough to warrant having one sit out on the countertop. Plus they're a total pain in the a$$ to clean.

That's just me though, the OP might fry daily, in which case I wish him good health!