Inside of grill getting coated with goo

T

TurkeyGriller

We have a local festival where we cook around 1400 turkeys in a weekend. We have run into a problem and are hoping to tap into your knowledge to help us find a solution.

We use custom-built grills which until a couple years ago were run on charcoal. We have now switched over to gas because it saves us from having to deal with ashes. (We did a lot of testing to confirm that the change would not affect the taste of the birds.)

With the charcoal, we controlled the temperature by adjusting the airflow using vents in the lids of the grills. With gas, we leave the lids closed and simply adjust the gas flow if we need to alter the temperature.

The grills have a rack in the center onto which four turkeys are placed. When we used charcoal, it was placed at the front and back of the grills, so the heat was indirect. Now, the gas burner goes thru the center (with an angled piece of metal above it to deflect the dripping juices from falling directly onto the burner) so the birds are receiving more direct heat than before.

The problem we are encountering is that the inside of the grills is getting coated with a heavy layer of thick, black goo and we can’t figure out why. We are not sure if it has something to do with the juices hitting the deflector or poor ventilation due to not having the vents open anymore.

Any thoughts you folks can provide on preventing the goo would be welcomed.

P.S. You can see some photos of the grills and the goo inside here: http://www.turkeyfestival.com/grill pics/

That looks like burnt fat. Like you said, the fat is dripping onto a hot surface, burning, and the smoke is wet with fat.

If you can find a way to catch that fat, or divert it away from the heat source, it would probably reduce the amount of fatty smoke considerably. One of the primary reasons I use water in my drip pan is so fat doesn't drop into a hot, metal bowl.

Having a top vent to allow smoke to escape would help, some, but won't completely eliminate the goop accumulation.

Can you get those things hot enough empty to burn that goop out? Or, maybe get some weed burners to burn it out. You'll probably need to turn that goop into char, then take a wire brush to it.

CD

That looks like burnt fat. Like you said, the fat is dripping onto a hot surface, burning, and the smoke is wet with fat.

If you can find a way to catch that fat, or divert it away from the heat source, it would probably reduce the amount of fatty smoke considerably. One of the primary reasons I use water in my drip pan is so fat doesn't drop into a hot, metal bowl.

Having a top vent to allow smoke to escape would help, some, but won't completely eliminate the goop accumulation.

Can you get those things hot enough empty to burn that goop out? Or, maybe get some weed burners to burn it out. You'll probably need to turn that goop into char, then take a wire brush to it.

CD

Great info cd!

How many folks you feeding with all those birds?

Another thing to consider is that one of the by products of burning LP is water. You now have more moisture in your cooker than before. That will cause more build up as you cook. Since you know it it there, do like CD said and get your cookers up to a high temp and scrape off before storage.

kind of like creosote , i've had my gas weber catch fire from that stuff

Back