Hickory Smoked Rack of Pork (Prons)

S

smokerpete

Picked up a Swift Premium Rack of Pork from Costco to smoke with Hickory. My last Rack of Pork was dry cured for days and turned out great but wanted to Low and Slow Smoke/Cook this Rack at 225ºF to taste the results.

Rack1.jpg

Trimmed the fat and gray matter. Rubbed the Rack of Pork with Annie's Roasted Garlic EVOO for the glue and applied a liberal amount of Jan's Dry Rub. Tossed the Rack into the fridge for 2 hours.

Rack2.jpg

Scrubbed some baking Potatoes clean and set them aside to dry to be roasted in the Infra Red Char-Broil SRG. Right before cooking the potatoes I will rub them with Annie's Roasted Garlic EVOO and season them with Fagundes Seasoning.

Rack3.jpg

Preheated the MAK 2 Star Wood Pellet BBQ Smoker-Grill to 225ºF using Hickory pellets. Estimated 4 hours at 225ºF for the Internal Temperature (IT) to reach 145ºF.

Rack4.jpg

Experience has shown that these Potatoes take 1½ hours on HIGH with Lid OPEN in the Char-Broil SRG to reach an IT of 210ºF. Used to use the fork test but cooking to a known IT works so much better!

Rack5.jpg

At 225ºF the MAK 2 Star rolls out some great smoke. My other option would be to use the SMOKE setting (~180ºF) and then bump the temp to finish the Rack of Pork but I found that 225ºF gives me the best of both worlds ... Ample Hickory Smoke and a high enough temp to cook the Rack in a timely fashion.

Rack6.jpg

Took just shy of 4 hours to go from an IT of 43ºF to 145ºF. Used to take Pork to an IT of 160ºF but am learning to pull it sooner. The Pork is cooked at 140ºF and even the directions on the Swift Premium Rack of Pork called to pull the Rack when the IT hit 145ºF. Found the Rack of Pork to be extremely moist and tender.

Rack7.jpg

The money $shot ... A serving of scrumptious Rack of Pork served with a Baked Potato and a side of steamed Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli ... Bon Appétit

Rack8.jpg

This Hickory Smoked Rack of Pork met all my expectations and showed me the benefits of cooking to an IT of 145ºF vs the age old standard of 160ºF. If you haven't cooked Pork to the new standards you don't know what you're missing !!

Looks great. Something that good might actually get me to eat my sprouts.

That looks so, so good!

I'm glad to see another MAK owner out there. I love my 2-star.

Looks great. Something that good might actually get me to eat my sprouts.

u know what, brussell sprouts are actually not bad if done right. i like em. i dont eat those little sprouts that look like grass tho. they taste like grass also.

ive also never had "rack of pork" looks good! almost like a rack of lamb ribs. what part of the pork rib do these come from?

u know what, brussell sprouts are actually not bad if done right. i like em. i dont eat those little sprouts that look like grass tho. they taste like grass also.

ive also never had "rack of pork" looks good! almost like a rack of lamb ribs. what part of the pork rib do these come from?

RackofPork.jpg

I've been wondering about those when I've seen 'em at Costco. I'll grab one next time :thumb:

I've gotten to be a huge fan of cooking pork to around 145 - much more juicy that way :hungry:

Nice pix! :clap2:

nice pics, thanks for the potato trick in the Big easy IR.

Mike

I love those bone in pork loins, and you nailed it! :thumb:

Nice and juicy. Couldn't agree more with gtr on an IT of 145. That's what I shoot for with any loin, rack, or tenderloin I do now.

great looking rack, will have to try them one of these days and see if I can do as good of a job!

Looks great. Have never tried this cut but will surely do so in the future. Cant wait to try that IT as well. :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Looks Delicious! Thumbs up for not overcooking the rack too!

Cheers!

Bill

You're making me hungry! Ever try brining pork loin?

i have done pork loin all kinds of ways and my family screams for the brined version. either smoked as a whole loin and then sliced for sandwiches, or sliced, brined and grilled as chops they all seem to think brining is the way to go. i tend to agree, especially if you add some heat to the brine.:thumb:

You're making me hungry! Ever try brining pork loin?

Yes, I have dry cured Pork Loins for days and smoked them which turns them into "Canadian Bacon" ... Yummy :thumb:

CBacon2.jpg

CB5.jpg

I have also dry cured a Rack of Pork and smoked it ... Gave it that nice "Ham" flavor ... like having a chunk of ham on a stick :p

rack1.jpg

rack7.jpg

I've never seen those in the stores around here.
We can get just the whole loins though and yours looks so good I think that will be the next thing I attempt on the UDS.

Back