Quite a Read

DDave

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just finished reading the UDS thread, all 140 pages and 2,030 (or so) posts. Should have my (2nd) drum tomorrow so I can start. I wish I would have read all the way through the thread before I got the first drum. It had one of those nearly indestructable liners in it. I wasted about 5 hours trying to wire wheel it out with a knotted wire wheel and an angle grinder. Had ear plugs, goggles, and mask but apparently the mask didn't fit very well. Was tasting dust and coughing up particles for a week.

Wasted another 4 hours last Saturday trying to burn it out. Although it was fun building a really big fire in it -- and not even as big as some of the fires described in the UDS thread that didn't work--I tried using a 50 grit sanding disc on said angle grinder. It worked somewhat on the lid but couldn't really do much with it on the inside of the barrel because of the shape.

Found out Sunday that a local juice company has clean, unlined, food-grade barrels for $5 each. (Actually, I think that was mentioned in the UDS thread as well.) It pays to read ALL the instructions apparently.

So I will be starting on UDS 1.0a. The barrel for what was supposed to be UDS 1.0 will be somebody's burn barrel. Or I'll give it to one of those "very determined" people who have the patience and will power to get rid of that liner. I don't want it anymore.:biggrin:

Dave

^^^ If not that . One hell of an:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Thought it was funny though when he said he just finished reading the UDS thread and is starting on his 2nd drum.:lol:

Sandblast may be the way to go. I have had 3 drums sandblasted and they were great.

Back