Advice on vending my first fair.

I've had BBQ parfaits with pork, beans, and slaw. I think Big Mista does a version with mashed potatoes. Easy to fix, easy for the customer to carry and eat -- basically a clear "go cup" and a fork!!

as already said keep it simple. Maybe add beans as a side if you have a good recipe. another possible is bbq nachos. chips then cheese sauce then pulled pork and bbq sauce with jalepenos optional. for the first time ribs are hard to do. don't hold as well especially without proper holding. chopped brisket is also a good seller for me. holds,cools,reheats very well.

I'd offer smoked sausage as well. Easy and quick to heat as needed. Either on a stick or bun. That's what I'd choose over a sandwich in most cases. Beer in one hand, and sausage on a stick is easy to eat.

Sausage on a stick is a TX thing. I tried that when I had the turkey leg disaster...we could not give away the turkey legs or sausages. AND, they were cooked on-site...

Regional differences and different times of the year do have an impact.

Now, I stick with simple. The best days are the days I run out or have one pan of "whatever" left!!

I am going to stick with pulled pork and chicken, I did this for my daughters grad party and it was a hit and easy to manage the two.

I may have some ribs handy for some night after the fair closes to share with some other non BBQ vendors and Beer to let them taste what I can do.

Thanks for the good advice, and I will take it.

Denny

Lets say you get 100 customers to order
The profit margin is greater in a pulled pork sandwich but you make much more off a rack of ribs. i would rather sell 100 half racks then 100 pulled pork sandwiches. Rethink not doing ribs, they draw people. Pork is sold by a lot of NON BBQ guys also.

Not sure how far you are from Philly but I have a GREAT source of presmoked ribs to your recipe for a super deal out there. Re heat and eat. Great product.

Keep it simple. Pulled pork and bratwurst. Cook as much pork as you expect to sell / a bit on the low side maybe. Use your brats to make up if you run short. PP, Loose Chips, Pepsi or Water. $7. Brats for a buck less. Use Johnsonville Sheboygan from a wholesaler.

as already said keep it simple. Maybe add beans as a side if you have a good recipe. another possible is bbq nachos. chips then cheese sauce then pulled pork and bbq sauce with jalepenos optional. for the first time ribs are hard to do. don't hold as well especially without proper holding. chopped brisket is also a good seller for me. holds,cools,reheats very well.

We do something very similar called a Haystack. Build in this order; Fritos, PP, Sauce, Shredded Cheese, Shredded Lettuce, Diced Red Onions, Ranch Dressing.

Depending on the size of the event I will cook pork on site through the night and pull and pan and cambro in the morning. If I have precooked I heat up in pans in the smoker or convection oven. There is a lot more to vending then just showing up with a cooker and some tables. If you want to make money at it there are a lot of tools you will need.

Back