Packer Question - Timing

under10minutes

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi guys. I visit the forums a lot but I'm afraid this is one of only a few post that I've made. ....I'm in need of guidance.

It's my daughters bday this coming weekend and I wanted to cook up a Packer and butt for the revelers. Butts usually take me 10 hours but I've never been able to time briskets that well. I thought this time I might remove the point from the flat so I can have two smaller HoM that will take less time to cook.

Timing is my concern. Dinner will be served at 5:00pm. If, for arguments sake, each HoM is roughly 7lbs when should I start the cook?

Slow and low. 225.

^^ agreed. When I do a flat only it does not take any less time than a packer. I get that you would think that a smaller cut would take less time (i.e. a smaller mass with a greater surface area will absorb thermal energy faster and reach desired done-ness quickly), but counter to intuition, this just isn't the way brisket works. Defies logic, kinda like helicopter flight... BFM (black farkin' magic)

The only real way to speed it up is higher temp, or wrapping (or both). Search the bludawg method.

As others are stating it will just take as long. I would leave it as one cut. And remember if you wrap it and rest in a cooler and don't cut it, it will hold for hours. Just start early

At 225 you would have to start in the middle of the night. I agree to go with the bludawg method for that early of a serving time.

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and wo'«t dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

At 225°F, I would assume 1.5 hours per pound for a packer, that puts you at 21 hours for a 14 pound packer (total cook time). Splitting the packer will result in a lower cook time, assuming they are placed separately on the cooker, however, in my experience, you will end up with a lesser product. Packers cook best whole, imo.

Bludawg, do your fingers get cramps from constantly cutting and pasting? Lotsa people need your help!

I did one couple weeks ago at 225 degrees and it took me right at 12 hours and I did wrap in a foil pan with apple juice when it hit 165 degrees .

As others are stating it will just take as long. I would leave it as one cut. And remember if you wrap it and rest in a cooler and don't cut it, it will hold for hours. Just start early

This. Start early and if done early rest in cooler. If I expect early finish preheat some foil wrapped bricks in cooker while cooking. Add to cooler with foil wrapped meat and towels. Will hold for 5 hours+

The wrapped bricks idea is a good one, never heard of that before. I'm trying my first packer this weekend with Bludawg's method and will definitely try this if done early!

The wrapped bricks idea is a good one, never heard of that before. I'm trying my first packer this weekend with Bludawg's method and will definitely try this if done early!
That IS a great idea, more heat mass.
You WILL enjoy Blu's method..... it will save you time.
Follow to the letter.

Back