Anyone cold smoke bacon on their LSG, etc insulated vertical?

harleykids

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has cold smoked homemade bacon on their LSG vertical, or other insulated vertical?

My plan is to make a very small fire with a few briquettes and a small piece of wood, and fill the 8 gallon water pan with ice.

Looking to keep the LSG insulated pit at around 40-60 degrees or so.

Just wondering if anyone has done this before?

I have four 2-3lb slabs curing now in the fridge, should be ready in 5-6 days and not trying to reinvent the wheel if possible.

Thanks!
Jason

I'm interested to see the feedback you get here. I just started the cure on my first belly and with my LSG now only a month or so away I've been contemplating all the things I could do.

I cold smoked some bacon in an FEC. Used the Amazen tube smoker. Had to open the door a few times to cool it down as it hit 90 degrees. Most of the time it stayed around 75.

This was my first time cold smoking, so I experimented a bit. Wasn't sure if there would be enough of a draft to keep the pellets smoldering, so I flicked the power switch to on a few times, which turns on the draft fan. I think that's when the temps climbed higher.

Put the AMNPS under the fire grate of our BGE. Placed the belly on some cookie cooling racks. Worked out well....

Thanks guys! I think I am going to try to take advantage of the thermal mass of my LSG and the wonderfully big 8 gallon water capacity.

Plan is to start a tiny Stubbs briquettes fire with a small piece of hickory on the top. Then fill my water pan with a few bags worth of ice, maybe 20-40lbs ($2 worth!) That should keep temps really low, as my LSG has the deflector plate as well to keep heat from directly contacting the built in water pan.

I know I can get a 4 hour smoke using about 12-15 briquettes and a hunk of hickory wood, which will look like a tiny speck in my firebox that can hold 40 lbs of briquettes at one time.

I will post some pics after my experiment. Bacon should be cured and ready for smoke on Sunday.

Hopefully it will be just another perk of getting the big LSG versus the Mini! Gotta love rack space and thermal mass!!

Thx!
Jason

I sure hope this works out for you and looking forward to seeing how it all turns out. I was able to visit LSG this past week and ordered an insulated vertical... 10-12 weeks they said. LONG wait! I make bacon and was hoping I could do it on my LSG insulated.

Keep us informed!

Rik

Rik, try 16 weeks for the Vertical Offset. Time will fly. Just don't think about it. Heh, yeah, that'll work.

Will do Rik, I think it should work out just fine.

If I can do it with a few $ of ice it will be great!

I cold smoke in an insulated Humphrey's vertical.

I use an A-Maze-N pellet maze for cold smoking cheese, as well as for sausage, bacon, and ham before applying the finishing heat for the meat. I have smoked over 50 pounds of sausage at one time in the vertical.

I usually cold smoke in cooler weather, but for summer events I have used a pan of ice directly under the butter and/or cheese to keep them cool.

I used Cure #1 at the rate of 0.25% per weight of meat. Will know how well it came out on Sunday!

Hey there Harleykids,

Hope your makin bacon was a success. let us know how it went and if you learned some tricks to smokin bacon on your LSG insulated!

Rik

Back