MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
floydo
Full Fledged Farker

Default Help with Combo brisket and ribs in WSM

First I would like to thank you all for the information you have shared here over the years. Great forum.
I’m fairly new at this, and wouldn’t have gotten even this far without you.
My first Post.

My questions relate mostly to cooking and wrapping a brisket…………….. when cooking brisket and ribs in combination. It's my first brisket.
Cooking on 22.5 WSM.

First a quick question about the rub for the brisket .
I added a few tablespoons of coarse pepper, some garlic, and a very little bit of cayenne and cumin to a cup of bovine bold.
Apologies to the plowboys if that’s an offense. Hope not. I love their rubs and used bovine bold on a butt last year that was beyond delicious .

Anyway…………does this rub mod sound ok for brisket ? If it is an ok start, would you use that alone………. or use it light to moderately and then add another layer of coarse pepper……..or of coarse pepper AND salt.

If I’m going to add some ribs to the cook a few hours before dinner, would it make sense to wrap the brisket at the appropriate time and add some hickory and/or peach to the fire for the ribs ? With the Idea being that the foil will both hasten the cook and protect the brisket from the additional smoke. Or would you just forget about the wrap and love the smoke ?

As for the ribs, I guess I was thinking about wrapping the baby backs after 2 hours ( 2-2-1 ) . The only spares I could find were previously frozen and I stayed away . Picked up the baby backs instead. Good choice ?

I plan to use a drip pan on bottom shelf of my WSM. Would you put some broth in that at some point and use that broth and dripping mix later for something ?
I assume you do not use THAT pan to wrap the brisket. Just leave that pan where it is and wrap the brisket with some foil ?

Is 240 to 250 degrees about right ( normally shoot for 220 to start for ribs alone ) ? Hoping for a 10 hour cook.

I will try the snake method unless you tell me not to. Used minion for the butt.

Enough questions ?
I'm new at this and would really appreciate your thoughts.

By the way............It’s a 6 pound piece of meat. The thinner part of the flat was removed by the butcher at my request ……………to save a few bucks ( the only decent piece I could find up here in NH was $6.50 a pound.) . So it’s now 1.5 to 2 inches thick at the flat end. Ok ?
The point end was already cut back before the meat was originally packed, but there is still some left for burnt ends or whatever. I haven’t found a source for a full packer up here in the north country.

Thanks so much for any help.

Floydo

Stay smoky my friends
floydo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
VoodoChild
is one Smokin' Farker

Bludawg ......In 3.......... 2 .............. 1
1- WEBER RANCH KETTLE
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
floydo
Full Fledged Farker

i'll take that as a vote for just salt and pepper

Old 07-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodoChild View Post
Bludawg ......In 3.......... 2 .............. 1
^^^ HA HA HA ^^^

I'm going to disagree with what Bludawg is going to tell you. I'd wrap it in foil when it got nice and dark enough for me and finish it with a little beef broth for the beginnings of au jus.

I'd just put the ribs on the bottom rack to start then move them up after you pull the brisket off. Or, IF everything will fit on the top rack, then just do that.

OR, there's certainly no reason to foil it either. Just something I usually do. I like to have plenty of au jus after slicing. You could just put it in a pan too, and not cover it to help with the au jus.

I'd use something in the WSM drip pan probably too, to keep it moist in the smoker. I usually just do water. The brisket and ribs are going to drip into that throughout the cook.

WELCOME!
Great first post!

Good luck on the cook!!!

Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydo View Post
First I would like to thank you all for the information you have shared here over the years. Great forum.
I’m fairly new at this, and wouldn’t have gotten even this far without you.
My first Post. Welcome

does this rub mod sound ok for brisket ? If it is an ok start, would you use that alone………. or use it light to moderately and then add another layer of coarse pepper……..or of coarse pepper AND salt. Keep it simple. If you like plowboys on the butt, just add salt and pepper and keep it moving. The more you add, the more difficult it will be to pinpoint what worked or didn't work. Actually, I would recommend using some Monterey Seasoning or just cracked black pepper and salt for my first brisket.

If I’m going to add some ribs to the cook a few hours before dinner, would it make sense to wrap the brisket at the appropriate time and add some hickory and/or peach to the fire for the ribs ? With the Idea being that the foil will both hasten the cook and protect the brisket from the additional smoke. Or would you just forget about the wrap and love the smoke ? I don't foil briskets and rarely foil ribs now

As for the ribs, I guess I was thinking about wrapping the baby backs after 2 hours ( 2-2-1 ) . The only spares I could find were previously frozen and I stayed away . Picked up the baby backs instead. Good choice ? Sure. That's a proven method.

I plan to use a drip pan on bottom shelf of my WSM. Would you put some broth in that at some point and use that broth and dripping mix later for something ? I don't put anything in my bowl. Cover it with aluminum foil and let the WSM go to work. Why not put the brisket on the lower rack and when it's time add the ribs to the top rack? You have more than enough room.

I assume you do not use THAT pan to wrap the brisket. Just leave that pan where it is and wrap the brisket with some foil ? You can place the brisket in a aluminum pan. I have noticed that it kills that bark a little as it is sitting in juices but the flip side is that it makes foiling easier if you go that route.

Is 240 to 250 degrees about right ( normally shoot for 220 to start for ribs alone ) ? Hoping for a 10 hour cook. Good temps but the brisket will be done when it's done. Get a good remote thermo and monitor the temps. I don't even probe until 5 hours in. Some folks use the toothpick method to test doneness.

I will try the snake method unless you tell me not to. Used minion for the butt. Why change?

Enough questions ? You're among friends, ask away.
I'm new at this and would really appreciate your thoughts.

By the way............It’s a 6 pound piece of meat. The thinner part of the flat was removed by the butcher at my request ……………to save a few bucks ( the only decent piece I could find up here in NH was $6.50 a pound.) . So it’s now 1.5 to 2 inches thick at the flat end. Ok ?
The point end was already cut back before the meat was originally packed, but there is still some left for burnt ends or whatever. I haven’t found a source for a full packer up here in the north country.

Thanks so much for any help.

Floydo

Stay smoky my friends
See comments above
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

You've gotten some good advice so far. Just a couple of additions...

Bovine Bold is great as it is on a brisket, but your additions would be good as well.

If it were me, I would try to have the brisket out of the WSM and resting in a cooler before putting the ribs on. that way you're not messing up the rib timing by opening the WSM to check the brisket.

I don't see any value to the snake method in a WSM. Guys use that in a Kettle so they can lengthen the burn and still have an indirect area for the food.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
floydo
Full Fledged Farker

thanks wampus

when you say

"I'd wrap it in foil when it got nice and dark enough for me and FINISH it with a little beef broth for the beginnings of au jus"

you mean put some broth in the foil with or on the meat, right?

plenty of room on the top rack for the ribs.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
floydo
Full Fledged Farker

va connoisseur

thanks for all the helpful comments and suggestions .
some will certainly be applied.
and thanks for the welcome.
good to be here.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
floydo
Full Fledged Farker

thanks ron

so...........it's ok to have the brisket resting for the 4 or 5 hours the ribs take to cook ? Do you have to freshen up the brisket if it waits that long to get to the table ?
I don't think i'll have the luxury this time, if I start the cook in the AM
...........unless I do a hot cook on the brisket, right ?

Old 07-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

At competitions I like my briskets out of the cooker by 8am if possible. When I take them out I open the foil for 10-20 minutes to dump some heat and then they go into my Cambro until we are building our turn in box at 1:00pm. they are still way to hot to handle without gloves.

If you preheat the cooler with hot water, dump the water and dry the cooler, and then insulate the brisket with towels or clean newspaper it will be hot for several hours.

What time are you serving? At 275 you are looking at about 75 minutes per pound for the brisket. Just get up a little earlier and catch a nap while it's cooking

You can overlap the cook if that's more convenient. You may just have to add a little time to the ribs if you are opening the WSM a few times.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
floydo
Full Fledged Farker

ron

dinner at 6 or 7

if I get started a little earlier in the am, it could work. thanks.

off to get a new cooler.

thanks

floydo