Fajita advicr

jamesbowers

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
I am making fajitas for the family this weekend and need some advice. I have both a Weber smokey mountain and a big green egg. Would you smoke or grill the flank steak and chicken? Also what type of chicken is best for fajitas? I was planning on flattening out chicken breasts and using those. Thanks for the help?

Here is what I do.... This is the way we made them when I lived in South texas.

3 cups pineapple juice
1 cup soy sauce (or dale's)
1 cup mexican beer or water

I marinade them for at least 3-4 hours (you can speed that up if you have one of the nifty food saver marinade containers)

boneless chicken thighs are best ( I get them at costco ) and skirt steak for the beef.

Get a good sear on the meat with that mesquite going it is fantastic.

I rub chicken or steak with some fajita seasoning (I use Fiesta brand fajita seasoning.)
and let them do their thing.

once marinating is done is put on some more fajita seasoning and let it set as it comes up to room temp while the mequite is building some nice red hot coals.

This is my go to. I generally make extra and freeze the bags with marinade.

If you have an HEB near you just buy their house brand seasoned and marinated fajita meat and grill it up.

Larry

Yuck. Never understood why people would suffer through grocery store marinated fajitas. Nasty. If you want to buy pre marinated go to your local Hispanic carnicera and buy their fajitas marinara. It will do. When my local store has good quality fajita meat like Akashi, I keep it simple. Trim the silver skin off, hit with coarse sea salt and sear about 1.5 minutes per side on a hot grill (for me Primo Kamado at 550 deg). When you pull off the grill you can squeeze some fresh lime juice in it. Keep it simple. Beef tastes good on its own.

For chicken, boneless skinless thighs work well. Google Pappasitos fajita marinade and you should come across aqua negra. Basically soy sauce, pineapple juice and water. In a pinch you can use a cheap bottle of wishbone Italian dressing. Works just fine.

No self-respecting Texan uses Flank Steak for Beef Fajitas, so give up your man card and move back to California! :clap2: (Just kidding)

Outside Skirt Steak is the best cut for Fajitas but hard to find and it has two membranes that need to be removed. Inside Skirt is more commonly available and also needs to be trimmed of excess fat. Sometimes the local Mexican Markets are selling marinated tough cuts like thinly sliced Chuck as Fajitas, but it's really Carne Asada and needs to be diced after cooking.

As mentioned, Pineapple Juice, Soy Sauce, and Lime juice mixed is a popular Fajita marinade.

For Chicken, thighs have more moisture but breasts are easier to pound out, grill, and slice for fajitas (IMO).

skirt and flank steak are impossible to get around here, what other cut would yield good results ?

Flat Iron is carried in a lot of Kroger locations and besides having superb flavor, it's almost 100% usable. Great for tacos cooked over a really hot grill and sliced thin. It used to sell in the $4.99 a pound range regularly, but as it becomes more popular prices have crept into the $7.99 range.

I am making fajitas for the family this weekend and need some advice. I have both a Weber smokey mountain and a big green egg. Would you smoke or grill the flank steak and chicken? Also what type of chicken is best for fajitas? I was planning on flattening out chicken breasts and using those. Thanks for the help?

Grill em. If you have a Discada make em authentic... :grin:

Back