MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Wicked Edge, need feedback.

Looking at the Wicked Edge knife sharpener and need feedback. Actually want reasons, other than the cost, as why I should not buy one. The theory behind it seems very practical and almost fool proof. If you have one please tell me your pros and cons if any, thanks.
Dave

Old 12-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've got a similar kit from "Smith", I think. I've found the stones too small for my large knives and always go back to my Chef's Choice and a steel. However, I have a belt sharpener coming for Christmas...I know because I bought it week before last and had CincHouse put it away. Belt sharpeners are used by the pros so I'm giving it a try.
Stones and such all get the job done and I know my info isn't helping you make up your mind...sorry! Sometimes you gotta buy and try!

I got my sharpener from Bass Pro Shop, but here's a link to Northern Tools...same sharpener and the price was about the same. They have a video to check out, too. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1964_200431964

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
NorthwestBBQ

I own the Wicked Edge Pro Pac I. This is a quote of my first impressions of the system:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
I bought the Pro Pack I and all I can say is, it puts a Wicked Edge on a knife!

Slice a mushy Roma Tomato like deli meat...check!

Slice paper without any jagged edges...check!

Please don't try to feel with your fingers how sharp a Wicked Edge sharpened knife is - it will cut you like a scalpel!

It is seriously a great product.

Last edited by NorthwestBBQ; 12-06-2012 at 10:56 AM..
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Novass
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

seen alot of videos on you tube. if you put in the time you can split hair on a pocket knife. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=BH6c4GnR9pc

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
I've got a similar kit from "Smith", I think. I've found the stones too small for my large knives and always go back to my Chef's Choice and a steel. However, I have a belt sharpener coming for Christmas...I know because I bought it week before last and had CincHouse put it away. Belt sharpeners are used by the pros so I'm giving it a try.
Stones and such all get the job done and I know my info isn't helping you make up your mind...sorry! Sometimes you gotta buy and try!

I got my sharpener from Bass Pro Shop, but here's a link to Northern Tools...same sharpener and the price was about the same. They have a video to check out, too. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1964_200431964
Presently I have a belt sander converted to a sharpener, paper wheel sharpener, and a wet stone wheel with leather hone sharpener, and a couple lanskys. The Wicked Edge just seems a lot easier to use and more precise.
Dave

Old 12-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Flat_Rate
On the road to being a farker

I am looking at a Wicked Edge but they have been backordered or out of stock for months now.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
I own the Wicked Edge Pro Pac I. This is a quote of my first impressions of the system:
I don't know how long you have had it and wonder if you would sill buy it again? I understand they had some issues with it at first but the Mfg., has addressed them and now have new arm and pivots available that takes a lot of the play out of them, which was the major complaint and the main reason I don't care for the Lansky. Saw a YouTube, were a guy put some thin washers on the pivots to tighten them up and another that put soda straws on the rods to help take some slop out of the stones.
Dave

Old 12-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
K80Shooter
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
Presently I have a belt sander converted to a sharpener, paper wheel sharpener, and a wet stone wheel with leather hone sharpener, and a couple lanskys. The Wicked Edge just seems a lot easier to use and more precise.
Dave
Which belt sander do you use? I have a 1x42 kalamazoo that I use and absolutely love it. With the right belts you can have a scary sharp knife in no time.

Also look at the edge pro. It's a nice looking tool also.

If you're really serious about sharpening knives check out this site http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showforum.php?fid/48/ very informative.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
Which belt sander do you use? I have a 1x42 kalamazoo that I use and absolutely love it. With the right belts you can have a scary sharp knife in no time.

Also look at the edge pro. It's a nice looking tool also.

If you're really serious about sharpening knives check out this site http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showforum.php?fid/48/ very informative.
The belt sander is just a small delta I have turned the motor direction around on and added a 3 step pulley for different speeds and I have several grits and a leather belt but I don't use it enough and have to re learn each time. I am not as steady as I used to be and sometimes get a little careless, not a good thing with motorized equipment.
Dave

Old 12-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

I have the wicked edge system with all the stones up to the 1600 grit ceramics, plus the leather strops. For v edge sharpening it can not be beat. For the most part I prefer a convex edge and use the belt sander to sharpen my knives. Once the convex edge is set the only real thing I do on the belt sander or the paddle strops is strop the edge to get it back to hair popping sharp. The maintenance on the convex edge is very easy and very little metal is lost to keep them that way. There is a learning curve no matter what system you choose but either will produce a sharp edge.
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

this looks pretty cool. here is my question, can a novice (me) pull this out of the box, read the instructions and use it with out destroying my knives. I would really have to ruin a Shun.
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
K80Shooter
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
this looks pretty cool. here is my question, can a novice (me) pull this out of the box, read the instructions and use it with out destroying my knives. I would really have to ruin a Shun.

IMHO no one should try sharpening a Shun or any other good knife until you have learned how to sharpen.

Grab a couple of old knives or get something from a pawn shop to learn on, once mastered then move on to your good knives. As with anything it takes practice to master knife sharping.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #13
Cloudsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Just bought a Wicked Edge kit for Christmas - will report back un after the weekend.
But I found a great store which has them in stock now, nice kits with free shipping.

Oldawan Tools to Stay Sharp
http://www.oldawan.com

Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
IMHO no one should try sharpening a Shun or any other good knife until you have learned how to sharpen.

Grab a couple of old knives or get something from a pawn shop to learn on, once mastered then move on to your good knives. As with anything it takes practice to master knife sharping.
I agree, I have a bunch of old knives bought from second hand stores I keep in a bucket and purposely dull them and practice resharpening every so often.
Dave

Old 12-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #15
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
I don't know how long you have had it and wonder if you would sill buy it again? I understand they had some issues with it at first but the Mfg., has addressed them and now have new arm and pivots available that takes a lot of the play out of them, which was the major complaint and the main reason I don't care for the Lansky. Saw a YouTube, were a guy put some thin washers on the pivots to tighten them up and another that put soda straws on the rods to help take some slop out of the stones.
Dave
I still like it but I want the new arms.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote