MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:21 PM   #16
rwalters
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
If I can use the vortex, then I’ll beat ‘em all with briquettes

...and lighter fluid? [emoji12]

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-09-2019, 07:18 AM   #17
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

thats a long warm up time on the treager. it would be a deal breaker......the whole point of pellets is convenience

Help us raise funds to feed our Veterans and Homeless HERE

www.gofundme.com/2s8fv5qs
smoke ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #18
Crispy Bacon
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Crispy
Default Size??

Not trying to throw gas on the fire here. Isn't there a pretty big size difference between these 2 grills? The MAK is smaller & should warm up faster right???
Crispy Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2019, 11:51 AM   #19
rwalters
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Bacon View Post
Not trying to throw gas on the fire here. Isn't there a pretty big size difference between these 2 grills? The MAK is smaller & should warm up faster right???

Absolutely! That said, the Traeger Timberlines are “insulated” much more so than the MAK’s, so you’d expect (or at least I would) to see a shorter preheat time than 40+ minutes. That kind of caught me off guard. Regarding the MAK’s... I have owned 3 now (at different times). My first was a 2011 MAK 1 Star. It definitely took longer to preheat and recover when opened than my 2017 and now 2019 2 Star. When MAK released their Funnel Flame Zone in 2017 that was a game changer for them. By design, all heat is forced into the cooking chamber vs sitting around in the belly of the cooker before rising. There was a very noticeable difference when I started cooking on a MAK w/ FFZ.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #20
retfr8flyr
On the road to being a farker

My 1300 only takes about 25 minutes to get to 350°. I start mine at 225° and when it reaches that temp, I will increase it to whatever temp I am planning to cook. I did some Hamburger steaks the other day and it only took 35 minutes to get to 500°.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #21
tom b
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
I find that often times, especially on poultry, the flavor profile is more pronounced the next day. I wouldn’t expect any pellet grill to be WAY different than the next when cooking at 375°... but you and your wife taking turns doing a blind taste test tomorrow would be interesting.
I didn't expect a lot of smoke flavor Robb but it was interesting how similar the end product was

Inactive list:
Smokey Joe, Akorn Jr., Wood Fire Barrel Rotisserie cooker, Traeger Timberline 1300 kicked to the curb...
tom b is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2019, 04:46 PM   #22
tom b
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I find that often times, especially on poultry, the flavor profile is more pronounced the next day. I wouldn’t expect any pellet grill to be WAY different than the next when cooking at 375°... but you and your wife taking turns doing a blind taste test tomorrow would be interesting.
l I guess I should have thought of that but I pulled it all and into the somee package

Inactive list:
Smokey Joe, Akorn Jr., Wood Fire Barrel Rotisserie cooker, Traeger Timberline 1300 kicked to the curb...

Old 05-09-2019, 04:48 PM   #23
tom b
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
I've never timed it, but I think it will be closer than you think.
I agree it will be pretty close

Inactive list:

Old 05-09-2019, 04:49 PM   #24
tom b
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
thats a long warm up time on the treager. it would be a deal breaker......the whole point of pellets is convenience
Agree Steve one of the reasons I'm looking for an upgrade

Inactive list:

Old 05-09-2019, 04:51 PM   #25
tom b
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by retfr8flyr View Post
My 1300 only takes about 25 minutes to get to 350°. I start mine at 225° and when it reaches that temp, I will increase it to whatever temp I am planning to cook. I did some Hamburger steaks the other day and it only took 35 minutes to get to 500°.
Mine seems to take forever, I usually set it much higher than what I'm going to cook at then adjust when it reaches cooking temp, that helps but I wanted to run the same set up on both cookers

Inactive list:

Old 05-09-2019, 04:52 PM   #26
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
I agree it will be pretty close
I think it will be too, that's why I'm going todo a real world test.

When you doing the Rib test Tom?

All American Moinkballer
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2019, 04:57 PM   #27
tom b
Babbling Farker

I'm gonna try Saturday If I can find the time but Mothers day has me running around a lot this weekend

Inactive list:

Old 05-09-2019, 06:15 PM   #28
NKSmoke
Knows what a fatty is.

I have heard from several sources the the MAK has a better smoke flavor over long cooks but haven't ever heard from someone who did an actual side-by-side comparison. It would be interesting to see how a brisket or butt would compare.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:19 PM   #29
tom b
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSmoke View Post
I have heard from several sources the the MAK has a better smoke flavor over long cooks but haven't ever heard from someone who did an actual side-by-side comparison. It would be interesting to see how a brisket or butt would compare.
that's what we are trying to find out, ribs or butt will be soon

Inactive list:

Old 05-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #30
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Wish I was closer to you guys. I'd bring my 2 cheaper poopers and make this interesting. Maybe we can do this at the next Texas Bash...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote