MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:00 AM   #31
KClandcruiser
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik

I've thrown some dark chocolate chips into chili before and it was actually really good. Added a whole new depth to the flavor and you couldn't pick out a chocolate taste at all. This was less than half a cup of chips into 1.5 gal of chili. Now cinnamon, on the other hand,seems a tad extreme haha

Old 05-10-2019, 09:27 AM   #32
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

So... Back on topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbelson View Post
I cooking chili for a school fundraiser, my award winning chili I might add, and I'm not sure how much to make.
The recipe I use is for 1.5 gallons. At the last contest I made 3 gallons which was gone in about 2.5 hours serving "tastings" for the peoples choice category (couple hundred).
This event will be much larger, probably 3000. It'll be running 11am to 6pm.
Anyone do events like this? any thoughts on amount would be great
Is this just tasting portions? A lot of the on-topic responses seem to be assuming that you will be serving full sized portions, which I don't think is the case based on your original post.

So, assuming tasting portions of 1 ounce each, you meed 3000 ounces, or approx 24 gallons.

Even that seems unrealistic. Make what you can easily transport and keep hot and serve until you run out!

2019 Chicago-area Summer Gathering Information!!

2019 Chicago-area Summer Gathering Signup!!

The Naked Fatty!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #33
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

I can go through 10 gallons of chili doing 1 oz tastings very quickly with just a few hundred people in attendance.

If your chili is good, you know it, because you are the first to run out. :)
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #34
mrpigs
On the road to being a farker

Some guys from the local fire department used to make some really good chili and they wanted to enter it into a pretty big fundraiser for our high school.

They talked a school kitchen worker into helping them out and getting the district to let them use the school kitchen. Don't know how much they made but she even helped them scale up the ingredients.

Might be worth a try.

And as far as Cincinnati chili goes, in my opinion, making your own with the brand of packets posted in this thread is the way to go.

I cut down on the water so it's thicker and add a little kosher salt, cumin, chili powder and paprika to taste and only cook it for 30-40 minutes so it doesn't get dark and bitter.

Gold Star is ok but Skyline changed their recipe 15 or 20 years ago in an effort to make it healthier and again in my opinion it's not near as good as it used to be.

The best ones were the smaller mom and pop chili parlors but most of them are gone.

If you're in town and like Cincinnati chili, give Blue Ash Chilli a try.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #35
Mikhail
is One Chatty Farker

Yep. Dixie was really good, Camp Washington too. Not a fan of Blue Ash so much. Gold Star's chili is ok but their other ingredients leave something to be desired - buns, dogs, etc.

PK Classic Grill
Broil King Signet 320 Propane
Good One Open Range over & under
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #36
Mikhail
is One Chatty Farker

so back to the OP - will they let you use the school kitchen? If so you might be able to pull this off for that many, but it will be a huge undertaking. I'd figure out how many big pots they have you could use for one huge batch over say four hours, and that is how much you make. When it's gone, it's gone.

PK Classic Grill
Broil King Signet 320 Propane
Good One Open Range over & under
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #37
rawcalls
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : rawcalls

Why are Texans such an insufferable bunch when it comes to chili discussions? Yeah, we all know Texas' claim that it originated there. Who cares? That doesn't mean you get to decide what constitutes "real" chili for everyone else. Recipes change and evolve all the time. It's like saying you're not eating "real" pizza unless it is strictly Pizza Napoletana as defined by Italy's Ministry of Agriculture. Chili most likely originated in Mexico anyway lol. Just make it how YOU like it and don't try to tell everyone else how they should like it.
rawcalls is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-10-2019, 03:42 PM   #38
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
I'm guilty of chili mac.

spaghetti noodles is a hard no....that would be weird
I love chili mac. Do you mix it together or ladle the chili over top? I ladle the chili over top of the mac. And i prefer kraft mac over homemade mac when making chili mac.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #39
chingador
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawcalls View Post
Why are Texans such an insufferable bunch when it comes to chili discussions? Yeah, we all know Texas' claim that it originated there. Who cares? That doesn't mean you get to decide what constitutes "real" chili for everyone else. Recipes change and evolve all the time. It's like saying you're not eating "real" pizza unless it is strictly Pizza Napoletana as defined by Italy's Ministry of Agriculture. Chili most likely originated in Mexico anyway lol. Just make it how YOU like it and don't try to tell everyone else how they should like it.
Chili con carne actually has origins in San Antonio. Look up the chili queens. But like pizza it has gained wide appeal and a lot of different regions have put their own stamp on it. My preference is Texas style, no beans. not right or wrong. Just preference. I love chili over rice or over Fritos or over nothing at all.

As for chocolate and cinnamon? I add unsweetened chocolate to my chili. It is quite good. I do not like cinnamon in chili. But keep in mind that Mexican chocolate contains a fair amount of cinnamon so there you go.

Life is to short to get territorial. Eat what you like, how you like. But allow the other guy his point of view.

Primo Oval XL, BPS drum, Weber gasser
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #40
orangeblood
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawcalls View Post
Why are Texans such an insufferable bunch when it comes to chili discussions? Yeah, we all know Texas' claim that it originated there. Who cares? That doesn't mean you get to decide what constitutes "real" chili for everyone else....
strong words amigo

i wasnt trying to provoke anybody or push any buttons, i would have offered a similar response had someone called oven baked pork with liquid smoke "bbq."

again, didnt mean to offend or cause any panties to get bunched up.
orangeblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #41
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Can you imagine the cost to feed 3000 people a bowl of Texas red? Thats a lot of cubed brisket/chuck roast.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #42
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Sadly, this thread has turned into a mess that I am sure the OP may not want to come back and revisit. Remember, QT should be on topic and we don't need to respond to every thread if we have nothing of value to add. Hopefully, the OP comes back around. And once again, some of those long time members we expect more from.............didn't come through for the OP.

Bob
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 05-10-2019 at 04:49 PM..
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #43
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Sadly, this thread has turned into a mess that I am sure the OP may not want to come back and revisit. Remember, QT should be on topic and we don't need to respond to every thread if we have nothing of value to add. Hopefully, the OP comes back around. And once again, those long time members we expect more from.............didn't come through for the OP.

Bob
Has there ever been a chili thread that hasn't turned into a mess?

Old 05-10-2019, 04:50 PM   #44
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeBurnEverything View Post
Has there ever been a chili thread that hasn't turned into a mess?
That doesn't mean every chili thread needs to turn into one!!

Bob
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019, 05:32 PM   #45
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

Arguing over what is chili is as stupid as arguing what is curry.

Silliness
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote