MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  



Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #2551
rwalters
is Blowin Smoke!

 
rwalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-08-12
Location: Sacramento CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highergr0und View Post
Yeah, fairly lucky I guess. It is in a spot where no structure is at risk as I do take a bit of precaution. If I had to watch all my cooks my bbq days would be over :(


I’ve done many MANY looong unattended cooks... I hear ya!
__________________
MAK 2 Star -- 26.75" Weber kettle w/ SnS, Vortex and GrillGrates -- Camp Chef FTG 900
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote




Old 05-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #2552
Joshw
Babbling Farker

 
Join Date: 09-25-17
Location: Oklahoma
Default

That's why wifi doesn't mean anything to me. I just can't go to sleep with a fire burning.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 05-17-2019, 05:04 PM   #2553
bones1
Got rid of the matchlight.
 
Join Date: 05-14-19
Location: bryantown
Name/Nickname : bones
Default

How do you like the gridiron?.
bones1 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 05-17-2019, 05:56 PM   #2554
Brandon_Lutz
Is lookin for wood to cook with.
 
Join Date: 05-26-14
Location: Forest Hill, LA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones1 View Post
How do you like the gridiron?.

I love it! I try to find reasons to use whenever I can. Weather had me down the last two weeks because of all the rain and high wind. When I cooked the chicken it was the first time in two weeks where the forecast was clear so I just had to cook on it.


It is only my second pellet smoker. For the last three years, any time I cooked on a pellet grill, it was on my GMG DC.


Coming from the DC, I'm still amazed at how quiet the Gridiron is and just how much space I have to cook on now with the shelf kit. So far it has performed perfectly. The few cooks that I've had on it make me feel confident that I can start using it in competitions and doing super long cooks without worries.
__________________
Pits: Various Kettles, BSK, GMG Davy Crockett and a Blaz'n Grillworks Gridiron.
Brandon_Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 05-20-2019, 09:06 PM   #2555
ice_mf_mike
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 07-06-16
Location: NJ
Default

Brethren, i need your guidance.



I am in the market for a pellet smoker. I have a trusty WSM which i love. But i need something that i can set and forget these days as i have less time with a small kid to watch.

Initially i had planned to get a traeger mostly because i had heard they were solid. I was targetting the Ironwood 650 however, after reading through this thread and other sources i think i am leaning towards either the rec tec Bull 700 or the Camp Chef Woodwind sg with a searbox.



My goals here are the following:

1. Ease of use. The less i have to to tend to it the better.
2. Ability to get good smoke on the food(i know this is a downside to pellet smokers).
3. Ability to cook things like burgers, steaks and dogs and sear. Basically allow me to grill as well. Most of my cooks will be smoking but i do want the option to be able to grill the quick stuff if needed.



Seems the rec tec is the better all around smoker but the camp chef has the searbox but no wifi.



Anyone have any input on this? I also have read the GMG is also a solid option. Any other pellet smokers i should be considering in this price range?
__________________
Rookie Smoker cooking on a WSM 18.5
ice_mf_mike is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 05-20-2019, 09:10 PM   #2556
Huskres
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 04-20-14
Location: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_Lutz View Post
I love it! I try to find reasons to use whenever I can. Weather had me down the last two weeks because of all the rain and high wind. When I cooked the chicken it was the first time in two weeks where the forecast was clear so I just had to cook on it.


It is only my second pellet smoker. For the last three years, any time I cooked on a pellet grill, it was on my GMG DC.


Coming from the DC, I'm still amazed at how quiet the Gridiron is and just how much space I have to cook on now with the shelf kit. So far it has performed perfectly. The few cooks that I've had on it make me feel confident that I can start using it in competitions and doing super long cooks without worries.
My blaz’n is quieter than my rectec and my Memphis.
Huskres is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 05-20-2019, 09:33 PM   #2557
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 04-17-08
Location: Dallas Or.
Default

How much of your money can we spend , MAK makes solid pellet cooker !
__________________
Weber Genisis 1000
Weber Silver
Weber 22.5
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
Traeger 075
UDS
Brinkmann Cimarron
Pink Thermapen
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 05-20-2019, 09:52 PM   #2558
SlowmotionQue
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 03-01-17
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_mf_mike View Post
Brethren, i need your guidance.



I am in the market for a pellet smoker. I have a trusty WSM which i love. But i need something that i can set and forget these days as i have less time with a small kid to watch.

Initially i had planned to get a traeger mostly because i had heard they were solid. I was targetting the Ironwood 650 however, after reading through this thread and other sources i think i am leaning towards either the rec tec Bull 700 or the Camp Chef Woodwind sg with a searbox.



My goals here are the following:

1. Ease of use. The less i have to to tend to it the better.
2. Ability to get good smoke on the food(i know this is a downside to pellet smokers).
3. Ability to cook things like burgers, steaks and dogs and sear. Basically allow me to grill as well. Most of my cooks will be smoking but i do want the option to be able to grill the quick stuff if needed.



Seems the rec tec is the better all around smoker but the camp chef has the searbox but no wifi.



Anyone have any input on this? I also have read the GMG is also a solid option. Any other pellet smokers i should be considering in this price range?
Between the two you mention, and looking at your goals, Rec Tec all the way.

BTW, I own a Rec Tec so full disclosure.

On a side note, you have those who will tell you that a WSM is "set it and forget it".

Like you, I own a WSM too, and I know very well that it's not set it and forget it.
SlowmotionQue is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 05-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #2559
SeanBBQ
Full Fledged Farker
 
SeanBBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-05-13
Location: St Charles, MO
Name/Nickname : Sean
Default

Heading to a friends this weekend who's wife thinks brisket is a crap meat and always fatty. Oh no no.... so throwing on a 10# prime from costco this Friday and heading their way on Saturday morning when it finishes. The YS640 is all cleaned and ready. Ill let it sleep on the way to their place and hopefully change her mind.
__________________
Yoder YS640, Weber Performer, WeberQ, BS Pizza Oven, BS 28, Kamado Joe Jr.
SeanBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 05-21-2019, 07:20 AM   #2560
ice_mf_mike
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 07-06-16
Location: NJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
How much of your money can we spend , MAK makes solid pellet cooker !

Those Maks do look nice. Im trying to stay under say 1300ish.
__________________
Rookie Smoker cooking on a WSM 18.5
ice_mf_mike is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 05-21-2019, 07:23 AM   #2561
ice_mf_mike
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 07-06-16
Location: NJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowmotionQue View Post
Between the two you mention, and looking at your goals, Rec Tec all the way.

BTW, I own a Rec Tec so full disclosure.

On a side note, you have those who will tell you that a WSM is "set it and forget it".

Like you, I own a WSM too, and I know very well that it's not set it and forget it.
Yea i just want to be able to hit a button and get going some days.


Have you been able to grill on the rec tec? Sear? I want to have something that can grill or smoke well.
__________________
Rookie Smoker cooking on a WSM 18.5
ice_mf_mike is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 05-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #2562
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
KevinJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-09-15
Location: Pensacola, FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_mf_mike View Post
Yea i just want to be able to hit a button and get going some days.


Have you been able to grill on the rec tec? Sear? I want to have something that can grill or smoke well.
I have a friend with the older RT 680 and it's not the best PG for grilling, it takes his grill a good 35-40 minutes just to get up to grilling temp. Maybe the new grills are better, he ended up buying GrillGrates for it which helped with searing but because of the time it takes to heat up he eventually purchased a gasser for high temp grilling like on burgers and steaks.
__________________
MAK Grills 1 Star General w/Flame Zone
Weber Performer/Slow 'N Sear/Vortex
Weber Go-Anywhere


All American Moinkballer
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 05-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #2563
rwalters
is Blowin Smoke!

 
rwalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-08-12
Location: Sacramento CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_mf_mike View Post
Those Maks do look nice. Im trying to stay under say 1300ish.


I am not typically one to push someone outside their budget, but with a budget of $1300, you are not all that far away from a MAK 1 Star. MAK’s are in a league of their own IMO. You wouldn’t have to do it right from the get-go... but if you were to add the MAK Flame Zone to a 1 Star, you’d have the exact pellet cooker that you are after. A phenomenal smoker, arguably the smokiest pellet smoker on the market, along with that’s it’s a really good everyday grill. Super high quality everything... aluminized steel under the high temp powder coating means no rust in your future... the highly programmable Pellet Boss controller for ultimate control... easy to clean... US made down to the last screw... a pellet cooker that’ll last for MANY years. Yeah, I’m a fan... lol. Buy once, cry once :)
__________________
MAK 2 Star -- 26.75" Weber kettle w/ SnS, Vortex and GrillGrates -- Camp Chef FTG 900
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #2564
SlowmotionQue
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 03-01-17
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_mf_mike View Post
Yea i just want to be able to hit a button and get going some days.


Have you been able to grill on the rec tec? Sear? I want to have something that can grill or smoke well.
If you’re going to sear, you already have the best thing for that. Your WSM.

Use your middle grate for coals. Put your ring on the middle grate. Put coals, I use Royal oak lump charcoal in the ring and directly on that middle grate. Put your top grate on, and you’re ready to rock and roll. Searing is not a set and forget endeavor anyway. And I’ll put this technique against any pellet grill out there.

Your middle grate can take the direct heat of coals. But alternatively you can line your bowl with foil, sit it on your middle grate, put coals in the bowl, about a half bowl of coals, and put your top grate on.

You won’t find a pellet smoker that will sear better than that setup which is really just a Weber Kettle.

Grilling on the Rec Tec is no problem. Temps up to 500* can be hit rather easily. So wings, veggies, and other stuff that you’d normally grill can easily be handled by the Rec Tec.

But if I’m searing, and really need to bring the heat, I either use the setup I just described to you, or my Kamado Joe over cast iron grates.

600*-700* plus to sear a steak is not a challenge for my Kamado Joe. Or my WSM configured as described. I can easily hit 600* plus at the dome with it configured like that. I have replaced the stock thermometer in the lid with a spare Kamado Joe thermometer, so I know. The updraft with the vents open and it set up like that is advantageous.

But again, when your searing, you’re talking a minute or two per side on say a steak. And that’s not a set it and forget it endeavor anyway.

Last edited by SlowmotionQue; 05-21-2019 at 10:00 AM..
SlowmotionQue is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 05-21-2019, 10:58 AM   #2565
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

 
Join Date: 05-05-10
Location: Marietta, GA
Name/Nickname : Lew
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowmotionQue View Post
Between the two you mention, and looking at your goals, Rec Tec all the way.

BTW, I own a Rec Tec so full disclosure.

On a side note, you have those who will tell you that a WSM is "set it and forget it".

Like you, I own a WSM too, and I know very well that it's not set it and forget it.
I usually cook hot & fast on the WSM, but have done several low & slow overnight cooks on it. It pretty much stays where I put it.
__________________
A bunch of Webers, Smoke EZ, GMG Daniel Boone, and a WHITE Thermapen MK4
qnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.
Custom search MAY not work(no display box) in some configurations of Internet Explorer. Please use compliant version of Firefox or Chrome.







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts