MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:49 PM   #31
JD08
Full Fledged Farker

Jeebus, for that price I can get two large BGE demo eggs. Kinda seems like they're cashing in on the name more than anything.
JD08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2016, 05:25 PM   #32
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotonmark View Post
How much?
It will all depend on where you buy it. Primos are generally more expensive that Kamado Joes and more in line with a BGE. My XL Oval with the cart was abound $1700. but it was a killer deal I stumbled on to. I think the Weber Summit is a great grill as well I just like my kamodos.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #33
4ever3
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I can't get my 22" Kettle to maintain temps - tho I can keep it in the range of 225 - 250 - if the day is not frigid and I don't run out of charcoal
I am hoping that the summit will be better
Your oven in the kitchen doesn't stay at 225° either, they are all a roller coaster, I don't care what it is, or who made it. The temp isn't going to be a flatline, not possible (yes, even if you have a guru thingy hooked up.) there is nothing in the world wrong with a 25° temp swing and no one said you have to cook at 225° either. I've got baby backs on the drum now, it settled in at about 315°, why fight it, just let'er roll! Will the ribs be done a little early? Yep, but it's better the the meat to be done early than late.

Old Oklahoma Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Jumbo Smokey Joe
Weber Classic Premium (Jessi)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
GMG Daniel Boone

“The cannons don’t thunder, there’s nothing to plunder, I’m an over 40 victim of fate...”
4ever3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-23-2016, 05:57 PM   #34
wbzipf
Full Fledged Farker

Ok, so I have had my WSCG for two weekends now and have done 4 cooks. What I can say is this:
1) once you get the temp dialed in, it is rock steady. I had a 3 hour spell on a 6 hour pork shoulder cook where the WSCG held its temp +/- 1 degree for nearly 3 hours. No ATC.
2) it does have a high thermal mass, probably not as high as a ceramic, but on my initial cook I over shot my temperature by 150 deg F. After I shut all vents, it took 45 min to get down to my desired temp range.
3) the ATC (BBQ guru DidgiQ dx2) was easy to set up, initially it over shot the target (think I need to manage the fan damper), but then kept steady temps overnight.
4) it's very efficient, I ran a 15-17 hours brisket cook and only used about 1/3 Kingsford blue (19 lb bag).
5) if you are planning a low and slow cook, be careful with how many coals you start, or how long you keep the gas assist on, because it is so easy to get a temperature excursion.
6) I love the two tier charcoal grate setting. I keep it on lower setting for smoking, I keep it on the higher setting for higher temp indirect/direct cooking.

That is what I have learned about this beast so far.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-23-2016, 06:02 PM   #35
4ever3
Babbling Farker

There ya go Mark, that's real world experience for ya...

Old Oklahoma Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Jumbo Smokey Joe
Weber Classic Premium (Jessi)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
GMG Daniel Boone

“The cannons don’t thunder, there’s nothing to plunder, I’m an over 40 victim of fate...”
4ever3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #36
gun smoke
Full Fledged Farker

tough to find anyone with experience on the summit. I would think weber would put out a good product and I too suffer from buyers remorse. if I were buying one TODAY and price didn't matter I would go with one of the 3 ceramics kj, primo, bge if you plan on hauling it around I'd get an acorn just because they have been time tested in a year or two I may have a different answer, you asked for my opinion that's it. good luck
[B]proverbs 27:17 as iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another[/B]
gun smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2016, 06:16 PM   #37
Bob C Cue
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerHusker View Post
Well then he could go with a Primo XL Oval which is also made in USA. Best purchase I ever made.
That's a sweet looking cooker!
Thermoworks Smoke

Poll nitpickers are never happy unless they have a nit to pick with a poll.
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2016, 06:34 PM   #38
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
That's a sweet looking cooker!
Thanks Bob. That was back when it was new and my dog hadn't killed most of my grass.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:43 PM   #39
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerHusker View Post
Well then he could go with a Primo XL Oval which is also made in USA. Best purchase I ever made.
I was once a huge Primo fan back around 2008-2009. That was before I replaced 3 cracked fireboxes, 2 sets of the junk porcelain coated grates, 2 hinge assemblies and 6 sets of the PITA to change cheap gaskets. All in less than 7 years. They are great cookers but cannot stand 4-5 days a week use.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #40
jsperk
Babbling Farker

If I could sell my Big Joe I would, so I could put the money towards the weber summit.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #41
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Guys. Awesome comments. Lots of great thoughts
Does the Weber summit use lump or briquettes?
Crotonmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #42
Crotonmark
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun smoke View Post
tough to find anyone with experience on the summit. I would think weber would put out a good product and I too suffer from buyers remorse. if I were buying one TODAY and price didn't matter I would go with one of the 3 ceramics kj, primo, bge if you plan on hauling it around I'd get an acorn just because they have been time tested in a year or two I may have a different answer, you asked for my opinion that's it. good luck
Thanks
Crotonmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2016, 07:49 PM   #43
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Guys. Awesome comments. Lots of great thoughts
Does the Weber summit use lump or briquettes?
Both.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:11 PM   #44
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

I had a Kamado Joe Classic and thought it made the worst BBQ, not good at grilling either. You can't do true dual zone smoking, you can't dual zone when you're grilling, the heat deflector is worthless, no way to add fuel, can only use lump, no way to stoke the fuel, no access at all to the fuel, weighs 200 pounds, fragile, grease drips on the heat deflector making greasy black junk get on the bottom of your food..on and on..

Yes, it was highly insulated and fuel lasted a long time. But to me the negatives were not worth the positives. Also it seemed to me 1/3 of every bag of lump was small worthless bits you can't use in a Kamado.

I'd put my $100 22" Kettle against any Kamado at any price. Yes, I will do more work but you can get better results with the Kettle. If you made a burn box you could even use real wood. Cant do that in a Kamado either.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #45
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez59 View Post
I was once a huge Primo fan back around 2008-2009. That was before I replaced 3 cracked fireboxes, 2 sets of the junk porcelain coated grates, 2 hinge assemblies and 6 sets of the PITA to change cheap gaskets. All in less than 7 years. They are great cookers but cannot stand 4-5 days a week use.
Sorry to hear of your problems. I've had mine for 4 years (cooking an average of 2 to3 time per week on it) and haven't had any of those problems. My gasket (after 4 years) could be replaced but it cooks fine with it still. The grates are starting to show some wear and I'll probably replace them next year.