MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:45 PM   #31
rwalters
is Blowin Smoke!

One thing that I believe that will clearly set the MAK apart from the Timberline is the ability to easily knock out weeknight dinners, almost as quickly as a gas grill. Not only that, but it has the ability to sear, especially with the MAK sear grates. I simply set the MAK to 450° tonight... 18-20 mins later it was humming at set temp... tossed on some chicken thighs, knocked them out in about 15 mins and we had some really good chicken salads for dinner :)

Thanks from: --->

Old 05-09-2019, 09:59 PM   #32
DBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Great Pics...looks delicious
DBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019, 05:13 AM   #33
WBDubya
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Bryan

I concur with Robb, my 2* gets to the desired temp super fast. Reverse seared some 2" Rib Eyes last night, could not be believe the amount of smoke at higher temps. This grill is awesome.
WBDubya is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #34
tom b
Babbling Farker

Default Test 2 Tomorrow

St Lois Spares. Picked up 2 ordinary racks from the local market. Just finished cleaning both grills and topped off the hoppers, they were both about 2/3 full with cookinpellets hickory and topped off with LJ supreme.

The MAK will get set at 210, it will run about 230 on the upper rack and the timberline at 225 on smoke mode, seems about equal set up to me. Totally naked and no wrap, k-salt when they start to sweat. Expecting about 5-6 hrs but maybe more.

See ya in the morning.

Inactive list:
Smokey Joe, Akorn Jr., Wood Fire Barrel Rotisserie cooker, Traeger Timberline 1300 kicked to the curb...
tom b is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2019, 08:46 PM   #35
Dweverett
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
St Lois Spares. Picked up 2 ordinary racks from the local market. Just finished cleaning both grills and topped off the hoppers, they were both about 2/3 full with cookinpellets hickory and topped off with LJ supreme.

The MAK will get set at 210, it will run about 230 on the upper rack and the timberline at 225 on smoke mode, seems about equal set up to me. Totally naked and no wrap, k-salt when they start to sweat. Expecting about 5-6 hrs but maybe more.

See ya in the morning.
Really appreciate you taking the time to do this. It's great to see a side by side comparison.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:48 PM   #36
Dweverett
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Wish I was closer to you guys. I'd bring my 2 cheaper poopers and make this interesting. Maybe we can do this at the next Texas Bash...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Now we're talking!

Old 05-17-2019, 09:37 PM   #37
Free Mr. Tony
is One Chatty Farker

I've owned four different brands of pellet cookers. Never did a side by side, but I'd guess that I would not have been able to tell the difference between the 200 dollar versus the 2000 dollar one as far as end results. Heat up times on all four were similar to you Mak results or better. 48 mintues to reach any temp on a pellet cooker is a problem.
Free Mr. Tony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2019, 11:31 PM   #38
Bacchus2b
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm curious to see what your pellet usage is with both smokers over a long cook, and does the Timberline have the edge because it's semi-insulated? I know my FEC-100 uses less than a pound of pellets per hour when it is up to temperature, but it's fully insulated. I've heard of similar size smokers to mine like the Yoder YS1500 chewing through two pounds or more of pellets per hour (non insulated). Big difference in cost to operate over the years.

Thanks for the interesting thread!
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2019, 01:23 AM   #39
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Way to test them Tom. You go with what ever taste's the best.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBT-6X Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2019, 06:53 AM   #40
sthamm
On the road to being a farker

Nice experiment. When/if you do a brisket or pork butt, I suggest you cut the brisket/butt in half lengthwise and put a half in each smoker to negate any textural differences which might sway your decision one way or the other.
sthamm is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2019, 07:14 AM   #41
tom b
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Mr. Tony View Post
I've owned four different brands of pellet cookers. Never did a side by side, but I'd guess that I would not have been able to tell the difference between the 200 dollar versus the 2000 dollar one as far as end results. Heat up times on all four were similar to you Mak results or better. 48 mintues to reach any temp on a pellet cooker is a problem.
thanks Tony, that's what I'm working out in my mind

Inactive list:
Smokey Joe, Akorn Jr., Wood Fire Barrel Rotisserie cooker, Traeger Timberline 1300 kicked to the curb...

Old 05-18-2019, 07:17 AM   #42
tom b
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus2b View Post
I'm curious to see what your pellet usage is with both smokers over a long cook, and does the Timberline have the edge because it's semi-insulated? I know my FEC-100 uses less than a pound of pellets per hour when it is up to temperature, but it's fully insulated. I've heard of similar size smokers to mine like the Yoder YS1500 chewing through two pounds or more of pellets per hour (non insulated). Big difference in cost to operate over the years.

Thanks for the interesting thread!
I have both hoppers full so when the cook is complete I will weigh the pellets as I refill

Inactive list:

Old 05-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #43
Montana Jack
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jack

Sorry to be late on this, my Timberline 850 (smaller size than 1300) get up to 400 in 20 minutes or less. Not sure if same burner as 1300 but definitely less space to heat.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:30 PM   #44
gtsum
is One Chatty Farker

In for results. I recall thinking my yoder had more smoke flavor than my Memphis, but as I’ve tried different temps, I seem to have found a sweet spot at 230 where I get a lot of smoke for the entire cook...I think a big part of these comparisons is to know the cookers well enough to know where they are strongest (like knowing where Mak changes fan settings etc).

Mak has the exhaust low in the back and I think it makes the smoke hang out longer in the chamber lending to a smokier flavor...timberline has the downdraft thing, right???? I like both designs better than the exhaust on my memphis...Will be interesting to see the differences

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2019, 09:16 PM   #45
tom b
Babbling Farker

shortly after the cook I was whisked off to a drinking engagement so my thoughts are blurry, I'll post results tomorrow

Inactive list: