MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
ChetPunisher
On the road to being a farker

Default Thinking about an Akorn

Think I'm going to pull the trigger soon on a Char Griller Akorn. Anything I need to know about? Tactics? I'm coming from a Char Griller Pro. Have had fun with it, but I am sooooo over the fuel consumption... I usually do pulled pork and chickens. Looking to expand my horizon and cook times with larger pieces of meat..

Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Shinka
Full Fledged Farker

I believe BJ's is having end of season pricing on the bonus pack for around $279.00.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
CtTradArcher

I have had one for going on two years. Fine cooker for the money. Fuel efficient and yet capable of very long cooks or very hot cooks.
You will have to switch to kamado-type tactics, which I think you will find will be much easier and predictable.

Large UDS, Small UDS, CG Akorn, NB Bandera, NB Black Diamond, Home Built Offset, Vision Classic Kamado, Green Mountain Daniel Boone, Weber Gasser, Smokey Mountain Cabinet, and several Weber kettles of various sizes.
CtTradArcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
KingRanch450
is One Chatty Farker

I really enjoy my Akorn...it's a poor mans BGE. It will roll steady and long when you learn it...just remember to start out slow...it's easy for them to jump up in temp...it's always easier to get that temp up than down!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
KingofTheCoals

Name/Nickname : Captain Smoke

Love mine, it's too easy holds 250 all day. I've done overnight cooks and woke up at. 6am thinking my maverick lost signal, only to find out it held 250 all night, no adjusting. Check out John Setzler "man cave meals" he has done a lot of videos.
KingofTheCoals is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

I used one this summer while on vacation and loved it, I cooked chicken, ribs and two butts during the week and all of it turned out awesome or so they said! I think it is a steal for the versatility and the price. Good luck on the purchase.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
stl-rich
is one Smokin' Farker

Amazon has the

on sale for $260.49 delivered. I would also purchase a http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_27889_-1__?N=395477678&Ntt=great+outdoors+griddle&Ntk=All from Academy to use as a diffuser for low & slow, a weber charcoal grate for a 22.5" kettle to put the diffuser on and a

from Amazon

Best of luck to you
stl-rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

I also believe it is a bargoon for everything it does vs price, I did a few mods to make mine work for me the way I wanted it to.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
hcj3rd

Can't go wrong with the Acorn. Even if you only use it as a grill only.I love mine. I primarily use mine as a grill. I fire up the PBC if I want to smoke something at the house.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
stl-rich
is one Smokin' Farker

Unfortunately the Akorn at Amazon is back to $350
stl-rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

I got the one with the cart similar to a performer from Home Depot for $349 I believe. You have to check because not all Home Depots stock them. Very pleased with it so far. The only mod I did was to put a chacoal grade on it with a pizza stone to act as a deffuser.