MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #61
Garrett
Babbling Farker

I use a 3/4" paddle bit in my drill and drill into the end of a split of whatever wood you want to have sawdust from.

Thanks from: --->

Old 02-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #62
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

Brilliant!

awesome idea, using that for jerky next.
FEC-100's
KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #63
mbshop
Babbling Farker

nothing wrong with cheap and simple. those are the best.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #64
LM600
Full Fledged Farker

Right then, the 30kgs of American White Oak "FINE" sawdust I ordered arrived today.

I sliced open the <<<Made For The Space Shuttle>>> strength plastic sacks it came in and scooped some up in my hand.....they weren't wrong with the description, this stuff really is like dust.

Anyway, it's been snowing, sleeting and raining today, yesterday, day before, repeat....so the air is pretty humid....I wasn't holding out much hope for a good smoulder when I loaded up the sieve, granted it took a little longer to light but, bl**dy h*ll!!!! This stuff (once alight) goes and goes and goes!!!

I got about 4.5hrs (17:30-22:ish) out of this lot (in the drizzle, humidity etc)...and the smoke produced....WOW!!!!

Old 02-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #65
topsideup
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Excellent idea, thanks for sharing.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #66
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM600 View Post
Give it a whirl Mate, the sieve cost me a couple of quid!

To light it, I just hold it over a tealight candle for a minute or so then remove the tealight and let it smoulder.

I have found that draft is a big factor in using it....with the lower vents on the Excel20 open but the access doors shut I get ~5.5hrs out of it, with one of the access doors open I get about 3-4hrs (but it has been windy here).
Thank you so much man! Your idea here is one of genius. Simple stuff usually works out the best. All I gotta find to try this out is smoking woods that will work. All I can find or have is the chunks and no way that's gonna work!

I'ma use it on my Weber Performer so maybe that will be enough space for the heat to dissipate and not heat the inside up. It is 40 degrees here during the day right now in Alabama, so maybe that will help.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #67
LM600
Full Fledged Farker

You're welcome Mate...hope you like it!

Garret posted about how he uses a 3/4" paddle drill bit and drillis into a piece or chunk of wood to make some sawdust, maybe give that a go if you can't find any guaranteed sawdust locally?

40 degrees? I'm guessing that's &#176;F and not &#176;C right!? In my smoker I guess it raises the temp. by maybe a degree or so, I haven't measured it with a therm. because it really is almolst negligeable.
It's been about 10&#176;C here today....ideal opportunity to smoke up some garlic, onions, jalapenoes and tomatoes, all to be blitzed into a stock sauce

Old 02-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #68
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Well, I have a paddle drill bit and I sure got plenty of chunks so it sounds like Ima go to town until I can find dust already processed.

And I've never thought about smoking garlic and onions, that sounds amazing. And yes sir, fahrenheit. Although in the summer I have seen it get up to 40 degrees celsius here! And it was about 95&#37; humidity too. But that's a daily thing in the summer here in the south. Rough stuff, but I love it.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #69
LM600
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbaughn View Post
Although in the summer I have seen it get up to 40 degrees celsius here! And it was about 95% humidity too. But that's a daily thing in the summer here in the south. Rough stuff, but I love it.
And that Mate is why I want to retire (got a few good years to go yet though!!!) to the Southern US....got Georgia in mind at the moment, history, decent climate and what appears to be an alright cost of living.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #70
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Yes sir, Georgia is a great state as is Alabama, but if I had my choice of any state to live it would be Texas. Number one is the humidity is much much lower, and the humidity can really be a killer here in Alabama. Makes it not so great to be outside some days in the summer. The taxes are low, low as well compared to most states and it is probably the one state that is truly growing economically (and socially) despite the poor economy. Austin is coming up as a huge player in the food scene and Houston is great too.

Great place and I wish I could move out there now. But no matter where you pick to live in the South will be a great choice. Every state has its history that is unique and great people everywhere. Nothing like a little Southern charm to make your day a little better!

BTW, I guess you already know that Texas seems to be the best state to live if you love barbecue and smoking. Another good reason to love it there.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #71
LM600
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Mate, I have been looking at Texas too, purely from a BBQ view....but after a little bit of research I couldn't believe the cost of housing in some of the places I was looking at, I have to admit the thought "Too good to be true?" was running through my mind!
I need to get my head round the US taxation system compared to what I'm used to in the UK, basically we pay a 'Council Tax' based upon the size of your house, how many people live there etc. and this pays for the emergency services, binmen, street lighting, etc,etc,etc.
Then you're taxed on your income, depending on what you earn this ranges from something like 22&#37; to 40% of your pay.....then there is the National Insurance Contribution, this is about 3% of your pay and gives you access to the National Health Service (Doctors, hospitals but not opticians or dentists) and your Basic State Pension Contribution
Most of the stuff we buy has VAT on it (VAT=Value Added Tax) and is 20%, some things are 5% (child car seats for example) and some do not attract any VAT....'basic' food is non VATable.
Simple!!!

Have to say, I LOVE the humidity, and as I'll be retired I'll (hopefully) be able to just slob about in the garden and jump in the pool every now and then to cool off!

Oh, and thanks for throwing Alabama into the mix Mate....I'll be checking Trulia later!

Well, that's me plan....just gotta carry on working towards it for the next 25 years or so and hope that when the time comes I am accepted as a US Citizen.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #72
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

It's so stupidly simple that I'm dumbfounded by it.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #73
basuraman
Full Fledged Farker

Awesome idea. I need to try that with salmon next time.

Tags
cold smoke generator, cold smoker, sieve cold smoker, strainer cold smoker