Best Fire Buidling method for Rib Eye?

F

Fiddy/Fiddy

I have been watching some video trying to decide what he best fire building approach to use in my Kettle for the Rib Eye. I am already learning to use less Charcoal with the Cast Iron to get better searing results.

I notice Rib-Eye can't take even small flare-up's. The high fat content will case surface scorching in a matter of seconds. The most recent approach I have seen on-line is the fire ring so no coals are directly under the meat.

What fire building approach do you guys prefer for the perfect Rib-Eye? (A Weber Kettle with Craycort Cast Iron Grates.)

Are you referring to a rib roast, or a ribeye steak? I'm assuming it's a roast, but I'm not sure.

CD

I'm also calling rib roast...I prefer a little char on a ribeye. In fact, I almost always use a chimney starter with a grate on top. Think I've seen that called that the jet engine technique. Love it

Sorry guys, It looks like I did not get enough sleep last night before writing that post. I meant a Rib Eye Steak or a good old fashioned Del-Monaco.

One of biggest issues is the high fat content. Great for buttery flavor but it also make this type of Steak a flare-up magnet. A couple of Flare-up can really sour the sweet buttery flavor of a rib-eye steak quickly.

I tired the old searing 2 zone method with a finishing zone on one side and a searing zone on the other side. The last Rib Eye's I cooked came out fine but not perfect.

I am still also trying to get use to the new CI grates. I am trying to figure out just how much lump I need to get the perfect sear. I may need to buy a surface temp Themometer to make sure I am putting the steak on the CI when the surface has hit the right temp. The dome Themometer is not a good measure.

I am also looking at the reverse sear approach as another option. I am the only one in my family that like my steak Medium. The rest of my family won't eat anything less than well done. I have to sully the meat for them. A good chef has to keep his patrons happy.

This means having a indirect finishing zone for the well-done or nothing members of my family. The ring of fire won't work in this case. You'd be well past done if you left it on for too long.

Maybe you're way over thinking this...

Flare ups are okay. And the two zone method is the best way to do.

How thick are the steaks?

Here's my favorite method for cooking the perfect ribeye steak on a Weber Kettle:

1. Buy 1" thick Rib eye Steaks.
2. Marinate the steaks in soy sauce for 30 minutes.
3. Discard the soy sauce and sprinkle both sides with Montreal Steak Seasoning.
4. Pound, don't rub the spice into the meat.
5. Light about a chimney of coals.
6. Pour the hot coals into a single layer on the charcoal grate of your kettle.
7. Put the top grate on and clean it with a BBQ brush.
8. Spray the grate with Pam or oil it with a paper towel held with tongs.
9. Slap those steaks on and cook them to an internal temp of 135F (about 5 minutes a side.)
10. Take them off and let them rest for a few minutes before you chow down.

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

What Michael said, except I usually buy a cryovac'd whole ribeye roast and cut my steaks 1 1/2" thick from that. Cook indirect to about 125 then reverse sear.

I wonder if I would have to bring indirect cook the steak for the folks that like well done to 145 F.

This is my favorite. Real simple. I use this rub on my tri-tip as well.
Give your steak a light coat of olive oil before you put the rub on.

http://www.weber.com/grillout/recipes/rubs/mikes-award-winning-rub

As far as the fire goes. I like to get at least a chimney full of briquets going and get my fire as hot as I can. Then I will throw a handful of wet hickory chips on top for smoke. This cools my temps down a bit but Im still able to get a nice sear on it. And with this rub it adds to the overall look as well. I will put my steaks over direct heat. Depending how thick the steak is I will cook 2 to 3 minutes then give it a 1/4 turn, cook another 2 to 3 minutes, flip and repeat. I will pull the steak when the temp reaches 125 to 130.

The not so secret way to a good steak is very hot and fast. I use a light mop of soy, teriyaki and garlic. Pam on both sides. 2/3 time on first side and 1/3 on the other. Don't turn more than once. Use the finger trick.

Its really a pretty easy meat to cook. Just pile your coals on one side of the kettle and the other side has no coal. Let your grill dome and grates come up to the highest temp it will get to and then oil the grate away from the coal and put your steak on, cook a few minutes each side and when you believe they are just under done for your liking, move them over the direct heat for a couple minutes on each side, pull and rest for about 10m and enjoy!

Let the easy meat be easy and save the hard stuff for ribs and brisket. :becky:

Here's my favorite method for cooking the perfect ribeye steak on a Weber Kettle:

9. Slap those steaks on and cook them to an internal temp of 135F (about 5 minutes a side.)

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

looks great Michael, but ti thought you only knew how to do mac and cheese.

Starting the cook with a room temp steak is also important for perfection. I do mine at 30 seconds on each side over searing hot coals on one side of the grill. Then 3 minutes on each side away from the fire. I like to lock the flavor in first with a direct sear. Cooking them Sous Vide then searing them is even better.

I read the comment about the 2 heat zones. You might go one step further and have 3. one hot, one medium, and one with no coals at all.

A little flare-up is a good thing with a rib-eye. Here I am adding a bit of butter to improve an already delectable pair of steaks! Just don't forget the gloves!

P9200283-1.jpg

This was the final step after cooking to 100° internal on the kettle.

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

My man; thank you so very much for this. I am at a loss for words about how good this recipe is.

Here's what I have learned from cooking a lot of ribeyes. Hot as F fire direct, but don't turn it into charcoal. If the steak does not hit a good internal, the connective tissue will remain and it will be a nightmare to eat.

If you can't keep the fire from charring the F out of the steak, move it off. I do think it is better to do this before the sear than after.

I have tried (not eaten) ribeyes, cooked by the "Best Steakhouse in Chicago" that were seared well, but tough and mealy as a shoe, barely chew-able.

Make sure the connective tissue renders, whether rare or not.

Back