MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
Big A
On the road to being a farker

Default Lang 36 or WSM

Which would you get?It seems the Lang will hold more food but how well is the temp managment on the Lang compared to a wsm?Man If the wife saw this post I'd get an ear full!lol
WSM 22.5:razz:
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Depends what you want really. Langs are awesome. You have to feed them every 90 minutes or so if you are going to use it as a stickburner (why else would you buy a Lang?). The WSM is more set it and forget it. Both are excellent cookers you see at basically every BBQ competition, so you can't go wrong with this decision.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Smoker101

the lang looks like a great smoker, well built, heavy duty, and can hold a fark load of meat.. the price range on the 36" WOW holy second house loan. it says it is portiable but i thinkg that it would quite heavy. the wsm is smaller yes but that can travel a lot easier if needed. and the price range is a nice one also. Just my thoughts. cooking wise i have no idea on the two because i don't own one. this is just what i have learned by looking at other brethren posts and comments. from what i have read the wsm is a good smoker.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
bigabyte

Something I should add that I did not bring up before...stickburners, when used right, produce superior smoke. The difference is minor however, otherwise at comps you would only see stickburners. That said however, I prefer the flavor of meat cooked on a big stickburner over a WSM. However, I cook with WSM's and crank out fantastic food that people go completely apechit over. Again, you can't go wrong. But I thought I shoudl mention that part about stickburners and their everlasting clean burning fire.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
baldbill
Full Fledged Farker

I do not have a WSM, but have had food cooked on them and it was very good, I have had a stick burner and this is just my opinion, and opinions vary, but a good stick burner in the proper hands just can't be beat for overall flavor. I have a UDS that I use now all the time for ease of use and it produces some amazing stuff, as does the WSM stuff I ahve had before, however, a good clean blue smoke belching stick burner is hard to beat....just got to tend to it more and that should be taken into consideration , you need to maintain a constant temp in a stick burner by feeding the beast, wheras the UDS and WSM are pretty much set and forget.
baldbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Wsm power
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
smokinQ2

ApeChit - like it!!!

It all depends on what you want, portability, etc. The Lang is awesome, stickburners rock. WSM rocks too. Hey get both.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Skidder
Babbling Farker

WSM but if your looking for a sideburner check out Kingfisher Kountry Kookers. Very well made
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
dannypat21
is One Chatty Farker

I recently purchased a vertical cabinet smoker and although I love the ease of a constant temperature my stickburner produces the best smoke flavor profile. IMO it is worth the work.
dannypat21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
ksmoker
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Hey, I finally get to chime in on my Lang 36....

I have owned a lot of smokers in my short time smoking (10 ys) and I can say that my Lang 36 is hands down the best cooker I have ever owned. I like playing with fire and always will, so I actually like the fact that I have to manage the fire every 60-90 mins. As mentioned, I have cooked on all types of rigs, so trust me when I say that nothing beats the flavor of a real, all wood fire. As far as being mobile, the Lang 36 is made from stainless steel and is a smaller unit than all the other langs, so it is very easy to move around. I have no problem wheeling it around my property with ease. I couldnt see any problem getting this rig to a contest if that is your thing. As far as holding temps, again, no problem what so ever. All you do is build a big fire to start, let the logs burn down to coal and then add 1-2 peices every so often, piece of cake! The 36 comes to temp fast and stays where you need it, adjusting the baffles as needed. The thick steel helps keep the temps consistant as well.

Living in S Florida, I use mostly oak, which burns long and hot and gets the neighbors stopping by in droves everytime I fire it up. I even had the garbage man stop and get out of the truck to say how good my BBQ smelled in comparison to his charcoal smoker. He asked me "what do I use, how do I get it to smell soooo good like that!"

I Love my stick burning Lang! Worth the money and wouldn't trade it for anything, except for maybe a Lang 60 Deluxe

Get the Lang! Have fun with your decision and good luck.

Last edited by ksmoker; 07-03-2011 at 05:41 PM..
ksmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
ZouBBQ

Ksmoker, you just sold me on a lang and im not even in the market to buy one...

Stickburner definitely more fun to work with, easier access to all your food as well. The wsm is about as easy and user friendly as you will ever find. It all depends on what youre looking for. I loved playing around with my old offset every hour or so, but it was a hassle having to get others to add charcoal and check temps when i was away. The wsm is easy, but also less enjoyable to work with (not that i dont love it).
ZouBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #12
gtr

If at all possible, get both! If yer gonna get in trouble anyway, go for the Lang and then hold out for a CL score on a WSM & kinda sneak it in later. In other words, cash in yer trouble chips for the big one (Lang) then the cheaper one (WSM) won't seem like such a big deal.

I love stickburning btw, but I am putting together a UDS so I can have the set and forget option.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #13
jestridge

It according how much you cook if it just a ever in a once in while thing go with the WSM If you cook or planning on cooking a lot go with an offset or some type of stick burner. Also another thing to consider what kind of wood supply do you have.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #14
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

all this stickburning love has brought a tear to my eye

Old 07-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
Big A

Many good points.I do like to play with fire.My only thing is how often I'm going to cook large meals.When I convince myself it's worth the money to buy the lang to cook a rack of ribs or a single brisket I'll buy one.Like that rf idea.Maybe I'll try a small comp if I get one.Thanks
WSM 22.5:razz:
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote