120 Gal Tank build thread...

Do you have fig there? The fig in my backyard is now only grown as smoker fodder, it is so sweet if my wife wood let me I'd use it for aftershave (not kidding) almond is nice so I've heard, very mild. Any info you could give me on those other woods would be nice.
BTW thats a really nice bunch of ribs you have there. Thanks for the updates.:clap2:

You know, I've never given any thought to fig. I will definitely try it out next time I get the opportunity! Thanks.

Cheers

Hey Everyone!
Man, I decided to take a look through this thread today and it got me thinking... this grill is really treating me well. BTW she has been affectionally dubbed "Bertha" :becky: there are a few mods I want to do to her but that will come in time!

I've been seeing some build and renovation threads starting to pop up recently so I thought I'd give this thread a "BUMP" for what it's worth... I'm thinking that you "Northerners" are starting to be able to go play outside by now :wink::wink: So I thought this was the time it could possibly help others thinking about doing a build like this (and I urge it!). She's STILL not on a trailer but thats all still in the plan... Just waiting on the time and money. and hopefully a trailer. :heh::heh::heh:

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Phrasty, I reviewed this thread just a couple of weeks ago. Love the story, mon!

This is one of my favorite threads. Really love the build, the design and the play by play. This came out really great. Food looks great as well.

Thanks,
Rick

Very nice smoker...your build is very inspiring. I wish I had the resources to put something like that together.

Thanks Steve. The hinges seem ok for now, But i agree with you... they could be a bit more "solid" Ill probably try to fab. some later and put them on. Ive been trying to fond out... what kind of heat do you get with your Reverse flow? How hot can you get it? Can you hold steady 300's with that thing? Let me know Bro... Thnkas

Cheers

You ask what kind of heat you get from a small RF like this? Well I just finished building a 120 gallon smoker that is reverse flow and I have cooked on it just a few times but am very supprised how much heat I get in it. The first cook (ribs) it spiked right after I put the meat on and it hit 400- 450 degrees F and it took a very long time to bring the temp down below 300. i even shut the damper and it finally settled down.
Third cook was chicken thighs and I made a smaller fire and was able to keep the temps under 300 pretty easy.

But I am wondering just how finicky this 120 will be to keep temps low and slow, I am thinking I will have to micro manage this firebox to do it right temp wise...BUT for doing chicken and pork chops, country style ribs and maybe steaks this thing will be the cats ass as I can cook fast and have crisp skin on the poultry, the others will only take a short cook to get them done.

here is my 120: Still need to add the shelf...

120finshed.jpg

Looks great Two Bears... I'm thinking the obvious here... maybe you just need a smaller fire for the slow and slow cooks. That FB is nice and big too.. U not gonna have probs getting higher temps at all! Great work brother!

Cheers

Inspiration

Talk about inspiration, I'm currently building my own "phrasty style" smoker! It will be done in a week or so, I'll be posting updates.
IMG00945-20110708-1727.jpg

It is also as tropical as yours, it will be welded to a trailer and brought back and forth from Guatemala to El Salvador down here in Central America.

IMG00955-20110709-0857.jpg

What a thoroughly enjoyable thread. Thanks Phrasty, and all who contributed and cheered him on.

You ask what kind of heat you get from a small RF like this? Well I just finished building a 120 gallon smoker that is reverse flow and I have cooked on it just a few times but am very supprised how much heat I get in it. The first cook (ribs) it spiked right after I put the meat on and it hit 400- 450 degrees F and it took a very long time to bring the temp down below 300. i even shut the damper and it finally settled down.
Third cook was chicken thighs and I made a smaller fire and was able to keep the temps under 300 pretty easy.

But I am wondering just how finicky this 120 will be to keep temps low and slow, I am thinking I will have to micro manage this firebox to do it right temp wise...BUT for doing chicken and pork chops, country style ribs and maybe steaks this thing will be the cats ass as I can cook fast and have crisp skin on the poultry, the others will only take a short cook to get them done.

here is my 120: Still need to add the shelf...

120finshed.jpg

Thats the funny thing, the firebox is what the "calculators" say it should be at about 1/3 of the tank. Its a 35 gallon firebox.

Holy crap I quoted myself....I thought I clicked on Phrasty's post obout a smaller fire.....sorry

Awesome build, you will be making a lot of folks happy with what comes out of that. Have you ever tried smearing ripe banana on pork instead of mustard to hold on the rub? Looks like you are not in short supply!

A buddy of mine made one of thosse and it stunk up the neighborhood for abouot a week while he was purging it. He apologized later by inviting everyone over to taste what he had made from what he had made. He also put it on an old john boat trailer that he narrowed by moving the rails inward to accomidate the tank. Great job and enjoy.

A buddy of mine made one of those and it stunk up the neighborhood for about a week while he was purging it. He apologized later by inviting everyone over to taste what he had made, from what he had made. He also put it on an old john boat trailer that he narrowed by moving the rails inward to accomidate the tank. Great job and enjoy.

I can't believe I just found this thread...outstanding build and tutorial Phrasty...congrats! :thumb:

Before cutting on any propane tank you should fill it with soapy water and let it sit for a week. Liquid propane will penetrate the metal. Also Mercaptane will pool on the bottom. Simply drill a small hole on the bottom when you want to drain it.

Back