BBQ Guru CyberQ Wifi Email Alerts (for the frustrated...)

K

KGNickl

So the new CyberQ Wifi does not have SSL support.... and 99% of email services require SSL authentication for SMTP.... So that leaves a bunch of CyberQ Wifi users lost and frustrated in regards to the email alerting functionality.

Solution: http://www.jangosmtp.com

Step 1: Sign up for an account and change the default password to what you want.

Step 2: Open up your CyberQ Wifi and go the Email Alerts tab. Use the following setting (any settings not listed below are up to you to decide what setting you want):

• SMTP Hostname: relay.jangosmtp.net
  • SMTP TCP Port: 587
  • SMTP Authentication Username: Your JangaSMTP username...
  • SMTP Authentication Password: Your JangaSMTP password...
  • Email Recepient: The email address you want to send it to.
  • Email From: Does not really matter who it is, but I just do it the same as the receiptient.
NOTE: Port 587 is listed because it should be open on most ISPs. You can also try port 25 (locked down for most ISPs) or port 2525. If non of them work you might want to call your ISP and ask if if they lock any of those ports and if so can they unlock it for you.

STEP 3: Reboot the CyberQ Wifi by holding the middle button on it your just unplugging and plugging it back in. Wait for it to power back up thengo back to the Email page, check the "Email Now" checkbox, then click the save value button at the bottom. Within a few minutes it should show success and an email should arrive in your email. I'm using my gmail address to receive and its working just fine.

Limitations: 200 free emails (alerts...) per month. If you need more you can pay. But I would assume 200 should more than enough to cover most of us.

BONUS SUGGESTION: If you setup an email filter in the email account that forwards the received email alerts to your cell phone you just created a quick and easy way to received text message alerts as well! You can forward based on the subject of the email. If you never want to see the email, just set the filter to forward the message to your cell phone then delete it. Info about the email address you should use for the forward to get it to your cell phones text message can be found on with a quick google search or most carriers are listed at the following link: http://www.ehow.com/how_5051791_email-text-messages-phone.html.

Port 587 works!

Thanks KGNickl!!! I got my CyberQ wifi yesterday and had infrastructure up in no time (using apple airport extreme had no issues). It was the email alerts that were not working. I signed up for gmx email account today because another thread suggested that BBQ Guru customer service recommended it over the phone. It's a non SSL email account that is free and I don't think it has any limit. I still could not get it to work on port 25 or 465 as suggested on the gmx help site. After I saw your post I tried port 587 and I finally got an email text straight to my phone! THANK YOU!

SMTP Hostname: smtp.gmx.com
SMTP TCP Port: 587
SMTP Authentication Username: Your gmx username w/ @gmx.com...
SMTP Authentication Password: Your gmx password...
Email Recepient: The email address you want to send it to. I have AT&T so I used the email text format: myphonenumber@txt.att.net
Email From: Does not really matter who it is, but I just do it the same as the recipient.

Thanks KGNickl!!! I got my CyberQ wifi yesterday and had infrastructure up in no time (using apple airport extreme had no issues). It was the email alerts that were not working. I signed up for gmx email account today because another thread suggested that BBQ Guru customer service recommended it over the phone. It's a non SSL email account that is free and I don't think it has any limit. I still could not get it to work on port 25 or 465 as suggested on the gmx help site. After I saw your post I tried port 587 and I finally got an email text straight to my phone! THANK YOU!

Email Recepient: The email address you want to send it to. I have AT&T so I used the email text format: myphonenumber@txt.att.net
Email From: Does not really matter who it is, but I just do it the same as the recipient.
That's awesome. I ran into this issue last night in the middle of a late night smoke when I was getting ready to go to sleep. JangoSMTP was the first and only site I could find in a few minutes of searching. The 200 limit is annoying. Expecially, if you have 0 interveral set. For 15 or 30 is should be no big deal unless you smoke a ton and let it alarm hours on end. But unlimited for free is really nice.

Too bad I can't update the post from above, but hopefully most people read down here and sign up and use a http://www.gmx.com account instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ugg...why cant I get this to work. I created an account and set it up exactly as specified and am not receiving emails.

Any tips? Should I call BBQ Guru?

Not gettin it... what does e-mail have to temp control? You guys aren't cooking remotely, I hope. Unattended grease fire= disaster = potential lawsuit

Port issue is with your ISP

Port 587 worked for Cox in Orange County, CA. Chris, you should call your ISP to see which port they have open for non SSL SMTP. Make sure to power cycle your cyberq each time you adjust the port per instructions (I just unplugged for 5 seconds, then plugged back in and waited for it to log back into my wifi).

Most, if not all mobile numbers have an email address you can use for texting. Therefore, CyberQ email is really a text message to my phone using myphonenumber@txt.att.net because I have AT&T.

Back