What is the best commercial seasoning and sauce

Commercial rub is not too expensive, it's only a small amount on a large scale of a food business. I use Dizzy Pig rubs exclusively with our catering and concessions business. There are other great rubs too but I just incorporate the cost into our food costs. If you are still looking for something cheap just go salt & peppery, it would be much better than a cheap bad tasting rub and you can never go wrong with s&p.

I am thinking about adding bbq pork ribs so

What is the best commercial seasoning and sauce out side there?

How much you buy and how much you pay

not sure what you mean by "out side there"

out side there what?

we make our own rub though.

In terms of using a commercial rub and sauce for vending, the first thing I would consider is availability. While rubs such as Oakridge and Simpy Marvelous are both terrific, as is Dizzy Pig, these are all rubs I like a lot, the question is can you get enough, on a regular basis to use it for business. I would be inclined to find a rub that I could acquire locally, in a minimum of 5 pound packages.

The Cattlemen's sauce is one of the largest commercial BBQ sauces on the market, and while quite decent straight from the bottle, it can be even better when adjusted to reflect local tastes. If my goal was a sauce that cooked well, and offered a very broad, market proven appeal, Cattlemen's Original is where I would start.

Not sure what the hell happened up above, but we do offer our rubs in larger quantities for food service/institutional use. And, we have special pricing programs for restaurants. That said, I think several others are right. It is cheaper to blend your own rubs and sauces. With a restaurant, everything costs something. P&L is the name of the game. So, you need to know what flavor profile will connect with your customers, and can you achieve that profile by making your own rub/sauce. At the end of the day, if a rub/sauce costs you twice as much to buy vs. make, but you sell twice as much (or more) bbq because of it, and you have less labor involved in making said rub/sauce, then it might actually work in your favor to purchase a higher-end rub or sauce. Just rambling out loud. YMMV.

Great advice by kcmike. Food cost % vs Margin vs Overall Profit. I've seen a lot of bad decisions made with regard to some notion that food cost must always be in a defined range without regard to margin or actual profit being made when volume is factored in.

So "expensive" can be relative to whether you can charge a premium or move more units.

Have you thought about hiring someone to formulate something for you? Kind of best of both worlds if you're struggling for a recipe. Pay some money up front to have taste profiles developed that you can duplicate and save a bunch in the long run.

For a rub if you are going to go commercial you will need to make sure you will always have a supply at a reasonable price or you'll have to blend your own. (as kcmike said above)

With sauce it is different. Some places will say they serve x meat with sweet baby ray's or whatever other commercial sauce they use. Other places have their own custom sauces. There is both an up and downside to each sauce angle. Most people have tasted sweet baby rays and so they know right away if they will like what you are going to serve. On the other hand having your own sauce can put you on the map, but always have people wondering what something will taste like and you'll always be providing them with a little sample cup of each sauce.

There is also no one sauce so you will need 2-3 different ones. For example I find sweet baby ray's or even the sams club bbq sauce to be awesome on pulled pork and most other pork items. For brisket or pork belly I cannot get enough of the Blues Hog sauce flavor. I did blues hog on pulled pork once and I tossed the portion i mixed up in the trash and went with the Sams Club BBQ.

An awful lot of people advocate for mixing your own rub, on the basis of cost. There is a cost to mixing your own rubs as well, and it can add up in other ways. It takes time to get the ingredients, mix the ingredients, all the measuring as well. Depending on your operation, the loss of opportunity while mixing rubs might be enough to argue for buying a commercial rub that you prefer in bulk.

The same goes for sauce, using a commercial sauce base, such as Cattleman's and tweaking it can save you a lot of time. Time always equates to money.

An awful lot of people advocate for mixing your own rub, on the basis of cost. There is a cost to mixing your own rubs as well, and it can add up in other ways. It takes time to get the ingredients, mix the ingredients, all the measuring as well. Depending on your operation, the loss of opportunity while mixing rubs might be enough to argue for buying a commercial rub that you prefer in bulk.

The same goes for sauce, using a commercial sauce base, such as Cattleman's and tweaking it can save you a lot of time. Time always equates to money.

One other factor is consistency and supply, especially when dealing with spices. You can lose a lot of fans when your flavor changes even a little bit because the spice store changed suppliers without telling you. This is another argument for a commercial sauce base.

One other factor is consistency and supply, especially when dealing with spices. You can lose a lot of fans when your flavor changes even a little bit because the spice store changed suppliers without telling you. This is another argument for a commercial sauce base.

1/3 of our business is supplying rubs for restaurants and caterers. I also caterer and before I catered I made my own rubs. One thing beyond what has been said is the storage for the spices you keep. You will need space to store rub and sauce ingredients. if you are working with a small foot print you need to take that into consideration.

If you have questions about pricing, blends etc feel free to email us at info@simplymarvelousbbq.com Our operators eagerly await your call/email :p

When I do large charity cooks and large parties, I use Bad Byron's Butt rub and mix turbinado sugar and have good results. I can buy it locally at a good rate and produces a nice product. Not what I use for private party's or comps but for high volume and lower cost you can't go wrong.

Back