Sausage Suggestions

TheBBQJew

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I recently went to Dickey’s and had their smoked spicy cheddar sausage. It’s the best sausage I ever had. Its supposed to be sold in Walmart stores. I can’t find it. Can someone who’s has had it recommend an alternative that is similar? Thanks!

Not sure were you located at, but here in central texas I prefer Greens sausage can only get it from there store in Zabcikville, then I would Elgin sausage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not sure were you located at, but here in central texas I prefer Greens sausage can only get it from there store in Zabcikville, then I would Elgin sausage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Second on Green's. Not sure if they ship or not. Was thinking about making a run up there today.

Being you are in NY, you might be able to find Conecuh Sausage at some stores.

I've never had Dickey's (never been to one), but I love Conecuh Sausage, their hickory smoked hot sausage is great, but they don't have a cheddar variety that i have seen locally.

t_76.jpg

I recently went to Dickey’s and had their smoked spicy cheddar sausage. It’s the best sausage I ever had. Its supposed to be sold in Walmart stores. I can’t find it. Can someone who’s has had it recommend an alternative that is similar? Thanks!

I didn't think people actually admitted to eating at Dickey's. ;)

Is that the same low-end BBQ chain that is here in Texas or a different one in NY?

I don't know about locally where you are, but there's great stuff available by mailorder from places in TX like Meyer's, Southside Market, and Kruez. Probably not a cheap option, but farking delicious nevertheless. Or you can learn to make your own - a really great option & I've been doing it for years.

What's better than mail order - albeit less practical - is go straight to TX, bring a soft sided cooler, go to these places and stuff yourself like a crazy person, stuff the cooler as much as you can (freeze what you've gotten before doing so), check cooler as baggage, bring home, keep eating!

Hmmm... Luckily I'll be at the Bash. Will have to check this place out. :thumb:

Hmmm... Luckily I'll be at the Bash. Will have to check this place out. :thumb:

Slovacek makes several varieties of sausage, but to me the Garlic is the best. When my son was at A&M I would bring home 15-20# each trip.

Cheese in sausage is not my thing. I like different mustard on my sausage and my taste buds cringe at the mix of mustard and cheese. I mean I’ll eat it, but not if another non cheese is available. Beer, that’s another requirement:))

Hickory Smoked Slovacek Garlic.

https://www.slovacek.com/locations/austin-area/

There are a crapton Of great sausage makers in Texas. Both raw and smoked. I’ve had bad-good-great all at the same place. I prefer raw and cook myself, but there are some damn solid presmoked too.

Last edited:
How much sausage can I stuff into my suitcase??? That doesn't sound right... :shock:

Sometimes this time of year HEB will have Green Chile bacon. Excellent. Nice background GC flavor. What I’ve had is not hot.

Sometimes this time of year HEB will have Green Chile bacon. Excellent. Nice background GC flavor. What I’ve had is not hot.
How far a trip is that for you? It is green chili and bacon though...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Full disclosure. Johnsonville Sausage. Not their new firecracker green chile whatever. The original raw sausage or beer brawts. Sautéed onions and butter then add beer then simmer sausages then flash grill over coals- then your option put back in the liquid or dip bread or whatever your state of sobriety allows- enjoy. When all I had was an hibachi this was a cookout. Or totally reverse it Grill first then simmer. There’s plenty of fat to ride out however you decide. Texture is great.

Back in the day.

Nearest HEB is San Angelo. 306miles

I’ve got a meat market here local that makes GC Bacon. Pricey but good.

I have some NM Green Chile powder to sprinkle on bacon while it cooks. Not quite the same but good as well.

I just moved to NY and that’s the local BBQ joint. It’s the chain. I had to try it once. Brisket was horrible. Pulled pork same. Sausage is the best I ever had! I’ll go back and get a 1lb link if I get the urge. Was hoping it was still available in groceries or Walmart. If you ever get a chance stop in to Dickey’s and try One. I don’t think you will be disappointed. Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll try to get them and try me out!

I just moved to NY and that’s the local BBQ joint. It’s the chain. I had to try it once. Brisket was horrible. Pulled pork same. Sausage is the best I ever had! I’ll go back and get a 1lb link if I get the urge. Was hoping it was still available in groceries or Walmart. If you ever get a chance stop in to Dickey’s and try One. I don’t think you will be disappointed. Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll try to get them and try me out!

Wow. Good to know about the sausage. I'm glad we agree on the quality of the rest of their offerings. :)

In a previous thread you said you were in the Adirondack region of upstate NY. If you are still there head to Croghan NY. The Croghan Meat Market makes a variety of high quality sausages.

If you are back in the city, no clue. Has to be some meat market down there making good stuff.

In a previous thread you said you were in the Adirondack region of upstate NY. If you are still there head to Croghan NY. The Croghan Meat Market makes a variety of high quality sausages.

If you are back in the city, no clue. Has to be some meat market down there making good stuff.

Thanks Josh but I’m not driving 5 hours for meat from Lake Placid! :biggrin1:

If you're in Placid I really got nothin. Pretty town, but not much in the way of food/food procurement options.

Back