MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #1
viodea
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Any experience with real Granton brand slicer

I was looking for a slicer for brisket. I was almost pull the trigger to get a Mercer 14" granton edge slicer.
Then I did a but more research to see if I want a granton or straight edge. I found out the granton edge on the Mercer, or most others, are not real granton edge.
There is actually a company call Granton making the real thing.
The scallops/dimples on the "real" thing are all the way down the the edge and alternate from one side to the other which actually help cutting and not just for look... and air pocket to help not sticking.

I have a hard time finding anything regarding to the Granton brand knife because granton is a generic term now.

I hope someone here have experience with them and give me some clue how Granton brand compare to others.

For those who are interested in doing some reading.
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how...s-have-hollows
https://www.thespruceeats.com/knife-...n-edge-1907895
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...#post-11268495
viodea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #2
wihint
is One Chatty Farker

I had one and it was a passed down slicer from the previous chef. I had to sharpen the daylights out of it with 600, 800, 1000 and then 1400 grit stones. It was awesome but the term is so generic now I am not even sure where to source another.

Mine ended up with a blade like a filet knife after years of use and sharpening.

Weber 22, Weber 22 OTG, Weber 16 and Kamado
wihint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2018, 10:27 PM   #3
viodea
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wihint View Post
I had one and it was a passed down slicer from the previous chef. I had to sharpen the daylights out of it with 600, 800, 1000 and then 1400 grit stones. It was awesome but the term is so generic now I am not even sure where to source another.

Mine ended up with a blade like a filet knife after years of use and sharpening.
Does it hold the edge? Did you have to sharpen it all the time or that one time?
Can you compare the real granton to the "generic" granton edge? Does it help with cutting?
Would you buy again?

I found them here.
https://www.knifemerchant.com/produc...productID=8644
https://www.knifemerchant.com/produc...productID=3305

Old 09-21-2018, 10:47 PM   #4
wihint
is One Chatty Farker

It held an edge and stayed super sharp. It sliced brisket like a laser but would shred chicken when I tried to cut it into medallions (cooked chicken not raw). I have knives for use in my kitchen ranging from $10 to $200 and they each have their purpose. I would not buy again since a simple slicer with some cooking spray or oil does a similar job. That being said I have a hand hammered asian chef knife that was a gift that costs around $700 that is horrible in my opinion but I run a high volume commercial kitchen and value an edge that sharpens easily and has plastic handle that I can drop into Quat Sanitizer...... to each their own.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:27 PM   #5
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

The MAC Super Slicer is hands-down the best brisket knife you'll ever own. It's not terribly expensive and it cuts brisket (and bread) effortlessly.

https://www.knifemerchant.com/produc...productID=3518

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-21-2018, 11:55 PM   #6
viodea
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wihint View Post
It held an edge and stayed super sharp. It sliced brisket like a laser but would shred chicken when I tried to cut it into medallions (cooked chicken not raw). I have knives for use in my kitchen ranging from $10 to $200 and they each have their purpose. I would not buy again since a simple slicer with some cooking spray or oil does a similar job. That being said I have a hand hammered asian chef knife that was a gift that costs around $700 that is horrible in my opinion but I run a high volume commercial kitchen and value an edge that sharpens easily and has plastic handle that I can drop into Quat Sanitizer...... to each their own.
I will mainly use this one for brisket. I use a ceramic knife for other cooked meat. I don't have a knife long enough for brisket.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:57 PM   #7
viodea
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmike View Post
The MAC Super Slicer is hands-down the best brisket knife you'll ever own. It's not terribly expensive and it cuts brisket (and bread) effortlessly.

https://www.knifemerchant.com/produc...productID=3518
It's not too expensive but for me it's going to be used for cutting cooked brisket only and it's not long enough. Don't want to spend too much money if possible.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viodea View Post
I was looking for a slicer for brisket. I was almost pull the trigger to get a Mercer 14" granton edge slicer.
Then I did a but more research to see if I want a granton or straight edge. I found out the granton edge on the Mercer, or most others, are not real granton edge.
There is actually a company call Granton making the real thing.
The scallops/dimples on the "real" thing are all the way down the the edge and alternate from one side to the other which actually help cutting and not just for look... and air pocket to help not sticking.
Never had a real Graton® Knife, but I have purchased German Made Graton Edged knives for my personal use.

Many years ago I paid big bucks with the belief that Wusthof knives were the best as others raved about them. With daily use and abuse, yes Wusthof's are great knives, but I refused to let my helpers touch them, so I bought them Dexter-Russel's and Mercer's. Long story short I was helping a friend and did not have my personal knives so i used my helper's set. I was amazed at balance and quality, and they worked well throughout the day. I left the event thinking that maybe I bought into the hype and paid too much for the Wusthof's when other quality knives were much more affordable.

I am not saying that Wusthof's are not great knives, they are fantastic. What I am saying is that with constant use I find the Dexter-Russell and Mercer to be great knives as well. If I had known, I would have been happy with the latter and I would have saved a lot of money.

The bottom line is that it's your choice and your money, only you have to be satisfied with your purchase, and only you have to be happy with their use and their ability to hold an edge. It should perfectly slice your end product perfectly without any effort or force.

Also, while a good knife with the ability to hold an edge is very important, the person holding the knife also needs to have at least basic skills as well.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2018, 04:00 PM   #9
sarth67
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Sarth67

https://www.cutleryandmore.com/yaxell-dragon/hollow-edge-slicing-knife-p137462#reviewsY

this is the one I use love the BD1N steel wife leaves these knives out all the time. no big deal I just clean them up and remind myself I really love her.
sarth67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2018, 05:39 PM   #10
viodea
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
Never had a real Graton® Knife, but I have purchased German Made Graton Edged knives for my personal use.

Many years ago I paid big bucks with the belief that Wusthof knives were the best as others raved about them. With daily use and abuse, yes Wusthof's are great knives, but I refused to let my helpers touch them, so I bought them Dexter-Russel's and Mercer's. Long story short I was helping a friend and did not have my personal knives so i used my helper's set. I was amazed at balance and quality, and they worked well throughout the day. I left the event thinking that maybe I bought into the hype and paid too much for the Wusthof's when other quality knives were much more affordable.

I am not saying that Wusthof's are not great knives, they are fantastic. What I am saying is that with constant use I find the Dexter-Russell and Mercer to be great knives as well. If I had known, I would have been happy with the latter and I would have saved a lot of money.

The bottom line is that it's your choice and your money, only you have to be satisfied with your purchase, and only you have to be happy with their use and their ability to hold an edge. It should perfectly slice your end product perfectly without any effort or force.

Also, while a good knife with the ability to hold an edge is very important, the person holding the knife also needs to have at least basic skills as well.
I have read your story while I was doing my research. I do agree good knife doesn't have to be outrageously expensive. That's why I also bought the Mercer.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:04 PM   #11
wihint
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post

This was so similar to an experience I had I looked twice see who posted it!

Old 09-22-2018, 07:10 PM   #12
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

It took me a few posts to realize you are talking about a knife. The whole time i thought you were talking about a slicer.
EyeBurnEverything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2018, 07:48 PM   #13
viodea
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeBurnEverything View Post
It took me a few posts to realize you are talking about a knife. The whole time i thought you were talking about a slicer.
oh... You mean like a meat slicer with a spinning blade?
I'm talking about a slicer knife.