MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:47 AM   #1
Rib bonez
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Recent competition outcome

Sort of stumped here and hoping someone could shed some light on it for me. Performed in a backyard comp and was not pleased with the results. Ribs were of poor quality and slightly undercooked so i understand those scores. My chicken was the best it’s been but still scored all over the board and results were way low in rankings. Any advice on rubs / sauces? Think mine had a bit much heat/pepper. Noticed the fellow next to me used meat church honey hog and gospel rubs in conjunction with blues hog orig sauce straight from the bottle. Seems that would be sickening sweet but he performed well.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #2
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sweet with a hit of heat on the back-end always scores very well.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-19-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I'm not sure how sweet the meat church rubs are, but I'd agree the straight blues hog would seem a bit overly sweet. BUT with all that being said, tenderness is really where it's at. If they chicken was not at the right tenderness, the taste won't help.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #4
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

The Slabs Bird and Bones with Swamp Boys straight out of the jar is good on chicken. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:32 AM   #5
Pig_Farmer
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Carl

I had a brisket like that a couple months ago. Judges comment cards said it was too spicy. Next comp, I changed my flavor profile. Not spicy but had just enough back end heat (pepper). I got 2nd place in brisket. I finally had to realize that I'm not cooking for my taste buds, but for the judges. I just wish more judges would leave comment cards.
Weber Performer, Weber kettle red, Dual Weber Kettle table gold, UDS, East Texas Smoker RK250, Blackstone 36, Blackstone 17, GMG Trek, LSG Large IVC Candy Apple Red W/4WD and a 6.7L Power Stroke
Pig_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-19-2018, 08:48 AM   #6
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig_Farmer View Post
I had a brisket like that a couple months ago. Judges comment cards said it was too spicy. Next comp, I changed my flavor profile. Not spicy but had just enough back end heat (pepper). I got 2nd place in brisket. I finally had to realize that I'm not cooking for my taste buds, but for the judges. I just wish more judges would leave comment cards.

It seems like comment cards should be required. How will you know what to work on if you don't get feedback?

Old 09-19-2018, 09:04 AM   #7
BruceB
is one Smokin' Farker

Welcome to the world of competition BBQ.

Bruce

22 1/2" WSM and 18 1/2" WSM
Weber 22 1/2" Kettle, Weber Jumbo Joe 18 1/2"
Weber Genesis Gasser
Treasurer, Great Lakes Barbecue Association
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2018, 09:09 AM   #8
ronbrad62
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Ron

I was the same in my last backyard comp. The chicken was my best comp chicken ever but placed 9th out of 12 teams. I feel that once you find a profile that you like, become consistent with it and hope that you get the right table that day.
ronbrad62 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2018, 03:53 PM   #9
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Maybe we need to first know if those backyard judges are KCBS judges or just some folks the organizer knew, it could make a difference.

Overdone beats undercooked any day.....
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2018, 04:47 PM   #10
21234rick
Full Fledged Farker

I think this is where a lot of us are stumped. I am trying to figure out what flavor profile wins. I have spent the past two years honing my processes so that I can turn out consistent Q that is tender and looks good.. Now, with tenderness and appearance down, I am looking to experiment with flavors. Sorry I am no help, but I empathize.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:41 PM   #11
Rib bonez
Knows what a fatty is.

Unsure on if the judges were KCBS or clowns off the street. Also frustrating as they had no comment cards.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:18 AM   #12
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That's the price you must pay for going backyard contests. Clowns on the left of me Mayors on the right.. Lately I've been doing more backyard judging with the Iowa BBQ Society. Seems like a lot less whining and the teams seem more fresh and interested in the process. You will not see comment cards at a backyard, they just don't do it.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2018, 07:19 AM   #13
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib bonez View Post
Unsure on if the judges were KCBS or clowns off the street. Also frustrating as they had no comment cards.
You have to know this, because it will make 15 minutes difference in your rib cook. Some folks like fall off the bone ribs.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2018, 08:00 AM   #14
kwas68
is one Smokin' Farker

Go with proven rub/sauce combos and work on the other things first. Nailing Appearance gives you the benefit of the doubt on Taste and Tenderness. Nailing Tenderness gives you the benefit of the doubt on Taste.

As far as a good starting point, ITBFQ had a good recommendation. I'd suggest Smokin' Guns Hot and Blues Hog Comp Blend. You aren't going to offend anybody with those flavors.

Lastly, you stated that scores were all over the board. Perhaps, your pieces of chicken were inconsistent. The issue might be in your process. Make sure the pieces are the same size and are rotated around in the pit so they cook evenly.

I know your initial question was about rubs and sauces but pictures might help.

UDS's, Multiple Weber Grills
kwas68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2018, 08:02 AM   #15
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

At the last event I judged we were told to make a comment card only in extreme circumstances. I like to make comments when I get something good.
West River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.