Hello from Fort Worth, TX

Tannhauser42

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Howdy everyone!
My name's Kevin, I'm in Fort Worth, TX, and I like to cook with hot coals and smokey goodness.

How did I get here? Well, I've had a Big Green Egg for several years, and as much as I love it, it's capacity as a smoker is a bit limited. A few weeks back I bought a 2-pack of spare ribs from Sam's, but I couldn't fit them both on the BGE at the same time. Putting them on upright with a V-rack meant they would brush against the lid. I didn't want to trim them to fit, so, I did one in the BGE and one in the oven that day.

And then I started to look at smokers. I started looking at the standard barrel w/firebox you see at all the stores. Looked at the gas (heresy!) and electric (more heresy!) smokers in the stores. Then I started looking online. I was already familiar with Malcolm Reed and Killer Hogs videos, as I was using the Killer Hogs BBQ rub, so I started paying attention to what he used and what people on this forum and other websites used. I certainly couldn't afford the $600+ smokers that people rave about, but the UDS concept did appeal to me, so I was looking at those. And then, when I was at Walmart picking up some wood and charcoal, I saw the Barrel House Cooker there for only $200. So, I looked it up online. Read about the connection to the Pit Barrel Cooker. Read more about the Pit Barrel Cooker. Watched some videos about the Pit Barrel Cooker. Read even more about the Pit Barrel Cooker. Watched even more videos about the Pit Barrel Cooker.

And then I bought a Pit Barrel Cooker (bet you didn't see that coming). :biggrin1:

So, here I am. One Big Green Egg and one Pit Barrel Cooker. And a wife that gave me "the look" when she got home Wednesday and found me standing next to the new PBC (that I hadn't told her about) in our living room. And two cats* that were happily playing with the PBC's box.

*The cats weren't new, just the PBC.

Welcome aboard Kevin!

We have bashes (get-togethers of Brethren) twice a year. In the Fall we go to Belton Lake (info in my signature) and the Spring at Lake Ray Roberts (here's the picture thread from this year's).

Last edited:
Welcome from Central Texas! Those Texas Bashes are awesome. We'd love for you to join us.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard, glad to have you as a fellow Brethren here.

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

Good Choice - glad you researched and got the Pit Barrel instead of the Cheaters’ One......

Welcome to the forum from sunny SE Arizona.

Welcome to the forum from Victoria, Aust.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

Howdy neighbor! Welcome to the forum - I'm over here, hard by the shores of Eagle Mountain Lake.

Back