• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Smoke Ever! 4 Racks of Spare Ribs

J

JoeB

Well I finally did my first smoke on July 2nd in my new WSM 18.5, but I didn't have internet until today so that's why the pron is late. First off, thanks for everyone who offered me advice, both in my questions thread and in my mid-cook crisis one. Anyway, on to the ribs.

I cooked for 14 people, but there were other things to eat too so the ribs were not the only thing. I rubbed them with a mix of coarse ground black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and salt. Not trying to target a specific temp, I aimed for 250 but didn't mind if it ran a little higher or lower. The WSM ran great! I didn't fiddle with it after the first half hour and temps ranged from 240-280, but I didn't mind because it was windy to start out and then died down. I used three chuncks of hickory and a full ring of new Kingsford briquettes. I cooked the ribs unfoiled and they took 5.5 hours, used the tear test and toothpick test to check for doneness. Although you can't really tell it from the pics, the smoke ring was solid and very pronounced. The ribs had a bit of pull to them, were very tender and juicy, and tasted great! I nailed exactly what I was going for and everyone loved them. My cousin said they were the best ribs she has ever had! We had some leftovers, but I polished them off the next day, hah.

I am very happy with how my first smoke turned out, and this is just the beginning of fueling the addiciton. I am so pumped to smoke again! Oh, and I just got a job at a BBQ restaurant near me, I start tomorrow. Life is good :-D

http://s856.photobucket.com/albums/ab126/JB52/First%20Smoke%204%20Racks%20of%20Spare%20Ribs/

Couple of questions:

1. The temp difference between the thermometer in the lid of the WSM and the thermometer I put on the grate was around 25 degrees. The lid showed a lower reading, however the thermometer at the grate was near the edge of the cooking grate, which I know runs hotter. Could it have been cooler in the middle? Which temp should I go by?

2. Concerning clean-up, should I wash out the charcoal ring and grate, as well as the bottomw part of the WSM, after I am done cooking? I did it this time because I had to travel 2 hours and didn't want ash to get all over the place, but I read about possible rust forming. Is that a problem?

3. I put three chuncks of hickory on top, should I bury some next time so the ribs take on more of a smokey flavor? The ribs had some smokey flavor, but I like BBQ with alot of smoke, so would that be a way to achieve it or how would I go about it?

Thanks again for all the help!

Well I finally did my first smoke on July 2nd in my new WSM 18.5, but I didn't have internet until today so that's why the pron is late. First off, thanks for everyone who offered me advice, both in my questions thread and in my mid-cook crisis one. Anyway, on to the ribs.

I cooked for 14 people, but there were other things to eat too so the ribs were not the only thing. I rubbed them with a mix of coarse ground black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and salt. Not trying to target a specific temp, I aimed for 250 but didn't mind if it ran a little higher or lower. The WSM ran great! I didn't fiddle with it after the first half hour and temps ranged from 240-280, but I didn't mind because it was windy to start out and then died down. I used three chuncks of hickory and a full ring of new Kingsford briquettes. I cooked the ribs unfoiled and they took 5.5 hours, used the tear test and toothpick test to check for doneness. Although you can't really tell it from the pics, the smoke ring was solid and very pronounced. The ribs had a bit of pull to them, were very tender and juicy, and tasted great! I nailed exactly what I was going for and everyone loved them. My cousin said they were the best ribs she has ever had! We had some leftovers, but I polished them off the next day, hah.

I am very happy with how my first smoke turned out, and this is just the beginning of fueling the addiciton. I am so pumped to smoke again! Oh, and I just got a job at a BBQ restaurant near me, I start tomorrow. Life is good :-D

http://s856.photobucket.com/albums/ab126/JB52/First Smoke 4 Racks of Spare Ribs/

Couple of questions:

1. The temp difference between the thermometer in the lid of the WSM and the thermometer I put on the grate was around 25 degrees. The lid showed a lower reading, however the thermometer at the grate was near the edge of the cooking grate, which I know runs hotter. Could it have been cooler in the middle? Which temp should I go by?

2. Concerning clean-up, should I wash out the charcoal ring and grate, as well as the bottomw part of the WSM, after I am done cooking? I did it this time because I had to travel 2 hours and didn't want ash to get all over the place, but I read about possible rust forming. Is that a problem?

3. I put three chuncks of hickory on top, should I bury some next time so the ribs take on more of a smokey flavor? The ribs had some smokey flavor, but I like BBQ with alot of smoke, so would that be a way to achieve it or how would I go about it?

Congrats on your first smoke...and your new job! :thumb: As far as dome temp vs grate temp...what you experienced is normal. Most times a few hours in to a long smoke the two will get closer or even equal...don't sweat it. The main thing is grate temp...that's where the magic is happening. As long as you know what it is you're good to go.

I clean my grates and water pan after every smoke with hot soapy water in a deep sink...don't worry about the charcoal ring...just dump it out and scrape off the chunkies in the bottom as they build up. After a few smokes you'll probably want to scrape off the chunkies and flakes from the top and sides...once a season I usually give it a good scouring inside with hot soapy water.

If you want a LOT of smoke...use 3-4 fist sized chunks of smokewood...be careful to let it burn off a bit before putting your meats on or it may taste a little bitter...it's called "thin blue" for that very reason. I nestle my chunks level with the charcoal after lighting and put my meats on when the white billowing cloud decreases to blue.

Good luck! :cool:

Couple of questions:

1. The thermometers always seem to be wrong no matter what I cook in. I would not worry as you said that the ribs were perfect.

2. I don't wash the grate, just dump out the ash. If you do wash it make sure that you dry it out completely. The ash will eat away at the metal if it is wet.

3. I too have had trouble getting enough smoke to suite my taste. I am using a Pro Q which is similar to a WSM. I mixed chunks into the lump along with some on top. Got way too much smoke on startup and then had to add more along the way. I waited to put on the meat until I got the fire under control.

It's probably a learning experience. I started with a Bandera and could see the fire. Can't see it on the Pro Q so I don't know what is happening sometimes. Looking at the coals that are leftover the chunks looked like they did not burn well. I am going to add these comments and more to my previous thread on the Pro Q.

Really sounds like you got some good ribs, keep up the good work.:thumb:

PS Don't add your pron as a link, use the little mountain thingy icon and you will have the pron right in the post.

On my WSM the lid and grate are sometime 40 degree's diff. but like JD said .... worry about grate temp... and the temps will get closer as time goes on.

Thought I'd post some pron without the link, thanks for the tip Chef Jim!
DSC02529.jpg

DSC02534.jpg

DSC02535.jpg

DSC02537.jpg

DSC02539.jpg

DSC02538.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it! Looks like I'll leave the bottom part of the WSM alone, that will save me alot of time on clean-up. It took like an hour, but it was well worth it if I get to eat great ribs!

Very nice! Great looking bark on those ribs, they look awesome!

Back