MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Jet2
Full Fledged Farker

Default This shouldn't happen in Louisiana!

Snow and ice built up on my patio cover and it all came crashing down about 10:30 Thursday night. Somewhere under there I have a couple of grills. The good news is neither if them is damaged - the bad news is I want to cook steaks tonight. Guess I'll have to wait.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_5385.1.JPG (47.0 KB, 439 views)

22.5 WSM
Weber Smoky Joe
Hathorn Pit
Strabulestone gasser
UDS in progress
Orion Cooker (It looked great in the pictures!)
Gator Pit Bandit (When I need to use it)
Jet2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

That's a dang shame. Glad nobody nor cookers were hurt.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
millsy
is One Chatty Farker

Doesn't even look like that much snow on it.Glad to hear the toy's are all right.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

glad everyone is ok and the grills too. time to call insurance company
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
Bacon_99
Full Fledged Farker

Looks like my backyard....lol Glad to hear cookers are good....

Old 02-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
nolaman
is one Smokin' Farker

Oh Chit!! Those alum. patio covers just aren't made to handle that kind of load! Homeowners Ins. should take care of it.
nolaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
Bacon_99
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolaman View Post
Oh Chit!! Those alum. patio covers just aren't made to handle that kind of load! Homeowners Ins. should take care of it.
Whoa - thought that was all snow - didn't even notice it was part of the roof.... Wow... Glad all is ok - and yeah - insurance should take care of it... Man - that must have been some wet heavy snow (not the light fluffy stuff).....

Old 02-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
swibirun
is one Smokin' Farker

"The roof, the roof, the roof is on....
awwww chit. The roof is on our fire."

Sorry to hear it. Looks like you guys had more snow than we did up here. Hope it all works out for you. Even if the insurance co pays, it's still a pain in the arse to deal with. (quick, crumble up some green pottery and throw it under there and tell them you lost an Egg*)

*totally kidding, insurance fraud costs us all, but couldn't resist a joke.
swibirun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
dig'em
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

It is strange. I am working in Kenner LA and it snowed a little here last night.

That damn global warming. You should send that picture to Al Gore

Old 02-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
bigabyte

Wow! Good to hear none of the cookers were damaged. Sorry about the rest.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
hath
On the road to being a farker

sorry to see that bud, Good luck.
hath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #12
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

I just want you all to know that I live in the Great White North by choice, and have never complained loudly about the snow.

- BUT -

It's kind of fun to see all you farkers get a little of what we get every year. For 7 - 8 months.

I truly am sorry you lost your patio roof. It's one thing I wish I had. I was almost in tears with sorrow, until I heard none of the cookers was damaged.

I'm doing better now, thanks.

Tito, hand me a tissue.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #13
Boshizzle

Sorry about your roof. Glad everyone and the grills are OK. I got this in an email and it pretty much summed up how I feel about snow right now.

The Diary of a Snow Shoveler
December 8
6:00 PM. It started to snow. The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses Print. So romantic we felt like newlyweds again. I love snow!

December 9
We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the Whole World? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had. Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life.

December 12
The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment. My neighbor tells me not to worry; we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. I don't think that's possible. Bob is such a nice man, I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 14
Snow lovely snow! 8" last night. The temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. I didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way.

December 15
20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4x4 Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16
Ice storm this morning. Fell on my butt on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like heck. The wife laughed for one hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 17
Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her. God I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20
Electricity's back on, but had another 14" of the damn stuff last night. More shoveling. Took all day. Darn snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he's lying.

December 22
Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white crap fell today, and it's so cold it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to poop. By the time I got undressed, pooped and dressed again, I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter; but he says he's too busy. I think the jerk is lying.

December 23
Only 2" of snow today. And it warmed up to 0. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What is she nuts!!! Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she's lying.

December 24
6" snow packed so hard by snowplow, I broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the man who drives that snowplow I'll drag him through the snow by his nose and beat him to death with my broken shovel. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was too busy watching for the snowplow.

December 25
Merry Christmas! 20 more inches of the slop tonight. Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think she's a fricking idiot. If I have to watch "It's A Wonderful Life" one more time, I'm going to stuff her into the microwave.

December 26
Still snowed in. Why the heck did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.

December 27
Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze, plumber came after 14 hours of waiting for him, he only charged me $1400 to replace all my pipes.

December 28
Warmed up to above -20. Still snowed in. THE WITCH is driving me crazy!!!

December 29
10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30
Roof caved in. I beat up the snow plow driver he is now suing me for a million dollars not only the beating I gave him but also for trying to shove the broken snow shovel up where the sun don't shine. The wife went home to her mother. 9" predicted.

December 31
I set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling.

January 8
Feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed?

Old 02-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
Porchpup
Full Fledged Farker

I know we get a lot of jokes about what happens when it snows here but it works both ways.
How do you guys cope when it gets over 100 degrees for 30+ days?
No need to answer because we have heard the horror stories of what happens when it gets above 90 degrees for a few days in a row.
To us is just another summer in the south.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #15
Boshizzle

What do you guys in TX do when it gets to 95 to 100 with 100% humidity for a week? We get that in late July and August often. It sucks.