MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
HARRYSTOWN
On the road to being a farker

Default Got the 10# back loin completed, with a problem..pron

Started with a 9.7# Back Loin from Sam's Club. Cut it in half. Put the thicker half of it last night in a brine of Apple Juice, Cider vinegar, brown sugar and salt. It sat in brine overnight for about 12 1/2 hours. ( Brine penetrated about half way through the meat at 12 1/2 hours) After Brine it was rubbed with MCormick Pork Rub. The other half was the narrow end and it was not brined but covered in Guldens dark Brown mustard and the a heavy coat of black Pepper.
Stoked up the UDS with about 8 lbs of Store Brand Mesquite briquettes and a couple apple wood hunk. I thought I would add a apple juice pan to this one. After about a hour I'm concerned about low temps 170-200, never cooked with a water pan before, so I decided to ramp it up and remove pan and rise temp to my experience level of 225-250. Got it there pretty quick after about a hour temp went too high. I started second geussing myself and put the juice pan back on the lower grate.and had a few errands to run. My first couple UDS cooks went without a hitch so I thought it was idiot proof. It is except it proved I'm the idiot. Came back after about 3 hours, loins had been on for a total of 5 hours. Panicked a little when I saw thermo. Bottom grate was at about 250. Top Grate was around 170* Temp of larger brined loin was right at 142*, It looked perfect.Glazed and pulled it off fire. Smaller loin was not looking well. It was dried out around the perimeters and the center was a white gooey mess of fat. It was measuring 120*. I though I may have ruined the small one. I thought I would see how it finished even though I was iffy about eating it. 2 Hours later for a total of 7 hours it was 140- 150 everywhere but in one small area in the narrow end of the loin. I thought it weird that the rest of it was drying out and there was a area about the size of a penny that would not get past 130*, even after another 30 minutes in a 300* oven! I decided I wasnt gonna eat the small one but wanted to see what was in the small aera. Opened her up and found a small globby area of fat that looked undercooked.. Anyway
donated it to the trash bin.The other one turned out pretty darn good,
Sorry for the Long version...

Last edited by HARRYSTOWN; 10-05-2009 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: bad math..
HARRYSTOWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
HARRYSTOWN
On the road to being a farker

Could it have been too much mustard over that area that hindered it from cooking??

Old 10-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Looks great!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote