MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
Banjoman'sBBQ
Found some matches.

Default Seasoning BWS Party

I have seen several posts on the tips and tricks to seasoning a brand new smoker. Getting a BWS Party G2 next week and am looking for opinions on the best method of getting her ready to cook on.

On the forums there seems to be at least two schools of thought...
1) Just a hot (350+ degree) burn to get the oils and residues from manufacturing burned off; OR
2) Oil (rubbed on or sprayed cooking oil (like Pam)) all interior walls and racks with a 250 degree burn.
3) Any other ideas.

Appreciate your thoughts... going from a BGE to the BWS, so I need some advice since it was not a required step with the ceramic smoker.
Banjoman'sBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

I hit my interior with a light coating of oil then high heat with wood for a few hrs.

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
rtboswell
Full Fledged Farker

I burned my Fatboy in as follows:

1. Empty water pan, no heat deflector, no racks, ran at between 350-400 degrees until I couldn't smell the odd odor from the manufacturing oils.

2. Let it cool a bit and then sprayed down everything inside with Pam and burned it at around 300 degrees for another hour or two with a little wood for further seasoning effect.

After that I couldn't wait to eat, so I add more charcoal and threw on a rack of ribs. Really you can do any variation as long as you burn off the oils and add your own layer of cooking oil.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
katman
Knows what a fatty is.

I sprayed the inside, racks and water pan with veg. oil and let it burn at about 250-300 for a couple of hours. Sprayed it again and cranked it up to probably about 375 for about 4 hours to get the paint oils out. Be careful cause with no water in the water pan and both vents open it will take off on you with a full load in the basket and I don't think it is designed for long periods at high temps.
katman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

I do the same thing as Post #3 but I do step #2 twice. I treat my smokers like I would a cast iron skillet.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Uomograsso
On the road to being a farker

I have an ABS Bar-be-cube which is vertical smoker similar to the BWS. Here are the shortened instructions on how to season the smoker. I used cooking oil in a spray bottle as PAM has additional ingredients that I didn't want in my smoker. Hope this helps.

Open the smokebox door and always secure with the latch. Inside the smokebox only, using vegetable oil, spray a light coat on all surfaces, (walls, top, bottom, racks, and trays). Note: Do not spray inside the firebox.

Place 6 to 8 pounds of charcoal on the firebox charcoal/wood grate.

Slide the dampers all the way open on the firebox sides. Screw open the smoke stack(s) cover approximately 1” (inch).

Carefully light charcoal and leave the firebox door open until flame has reduced and charcoal starts to turn white with ash. (approximately 15 to 20 minutes) Note: Do not close firebox door immediately after lighting charcoal. Flames could damage the smoker/grill finish.

Close the smokebox and firebox doors. Allow the temperature to reach 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Adjust the stack(s) cover plate and dampers to maintain this temperature for (1) hour. Close stack(s) cover plate and dampers, this will suffocate fire. Allow smoker/grill to cool completely.

Repeat steps 1 through 4, but only this time allow the temperature to reach 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Maintain this temperature for (1) hour. Allow smoker/grill to cool completely.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
palmtreefrb
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtboswell View Post
I burned my Fatboy in as follows:

1. Empty water pan, no heat deflector, no racks, ran at between 350-400 degrees until I couldn't smell the odd odor from the manufacturing oils.

2. Let it cool a bit and then sprayed down everything inside with Pam and burned it at around 300 degrees for another hour or two with a little wood for further seasoning effect.

After that I couldn't wait to eat, so I add more charcoal and threw on a rack of ribs. Really you can do any variation as long as you burn off the oils and add your own layer of cooking oil.
Same +1

Old 09-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
Bob S
is One Chatty Farker

I did what rtboswell says in post 3. I think you should definitely do it in 2 steps. One hot burn to get rid of manufacturing residues and then a seasoning burn with Pam or crisco. After that, cook some fatties!
WSM 18"
Weber 22.5" Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver "Guinness" Kettle
Weber Genesis gasser
Blazin' Buttz BBQ Team www.blazinbuttz-bbq.com
Bob S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
Smokesignalsfromtx
is one Smokin' Farker

X2. 350 for an hour to get the manufacturing oils off, then cool a tad, spray w Pam and run it at 425/450 for bout 3 hrs. Read for brisket!!
Smokesignalsfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
ATLSean
Full Fledged Farker

On my Party G2, I did the burn at 350 for 4 hours (no racks or water pan, left in diverter), then sprayed with an entire can of PAM and let it cool down over 2-3 hours. Then I threw in the nastiest, fattiest, cheapest picnic ham I could find and cooked it into a briquette to finish seasoning. Literally just let it ride for 12hours and threw it away. Cooked butts and ribs the next day, they were delicious! This is what Andy @ Q Company Smokers told me to do, all of his advice has been great since getting my smoker! Have fun with your BWS!
ATLSean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
Banjoman'sBBQ
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSean View Post
On my Party G2, I did the burn at 350 for 4 hours (no racks or water pan, left in diverter), then sprayed with an entire can of PAM and let it cool down over 2-3 hours. Then I threw in the nastiest, fattiest, cheapest picnic ham I could find and cooked it into a briquette to finish seasoning. Literally just let it ride for 12hours and threw it away. Cooked butts and ribs the next day, they were delicious! This is what Andy @ Q Company Smokers told me to do, all of his advice has been great since getting my smoker! Have fun with your BWS!
Thanks for the advice. I am meeting Andy on Wednesday to pick mine up. He has been great to deal with and has given great advice. Will ask him about seasoning as well, but I'm guessing you just stole his thunder!
Banjoman'sBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
ATLSean
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoman'sBBQ View Post
Thanks for the advice. I am meeting Andy on Wednesday to pick mine up. He has been great to deal with and has given great advice. Will ask him about seasoning as well, but I'm guessing you just stole his thunder!
Ha! That's awesome! Yeah, he's great, he'll fill you in on how to break it in. He's really helped me out with advice as well. Enjoy your BWS, I love mine. Tell Andy that Sean says hello.
ATLSean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BWS, seasoning