MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
walrus79
On the road to being a farker

Default Need confirmation on my estimates

I'm doing my first catering gig this Sunday. Pretty simple, they just want pulled pork (for sandwiches) and hot dogs, 75 each (but may up to 100 each, I'll know by the end of the day.

I'm planning to cook on average 10lb butts and do 4 (if 75) or 5 (if 100). I've read to factor about 40% loss of meat in cooking process and 1 lb will make 4 sandwiches. It's a church group (mix of adults and children), so I don't assume I need to factor for "big eaters". So, I should have roughly 24lbs (or 30lbs if they up it). Does this sound solid? I don't mind having some extra leftover, just don't want to be anywhere near running out.

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
pbj
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Curly

I did 28 lb (4 butts) for my sons Grooms Dinner last Friday, ended up with 17 lb pulled. There were 22 people. I ended up with 7 lb left over. Some had 6, some had 1. So 1/2 per person? It was well received.
Curly
Maverick 732
UDS
[COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]
pbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Figure 5oz per person and add 10% and you will be fine. I would figure this using 50% loss during cooking.

I would cook 47lbs raw butts for 75 people and 63lbs for 100 people.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
RibnOneOff
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I just did a party for 70+ last weekend (think it was about 65 adults and 25 kids). 72 rolls, 72 chicken legs (25 lbs.) and 45lbs of raw butts. I took home one butt (7.5lb raw that I left hid in the cooler LOL) and a few pieces of chicken. 2 pieces of chicken in the last pan when I left. We let them self serve and they would get about 1/4 to 1/3 lb. on each sandwich or plated helping. Had maybe 2 or so lbs of pork left when I took off. I think you are right in the ballpark and I too always want to see some left over and people will pig out on real BBQ, even religious people! Good luck
RibnOneOff is offline   Reply With Quote