MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
DavidEHickey
Full Fledged Farker

Default Need the Brethrens help on some pork butts

Well, a private club I'm head trustee of has its annual picnic Saturday. I'm doing the pork butts which caused a little trouble with another member who self volunteered himself "his plan high heat and done in 5 hours" the member who donated the meat said not a chance and it's back to me doing them. I think I've got it down but I usually don't cook that much and don't want to screw it up. And I know the other member will be running his mouth, so I DON'T want to screw it up!! I want to make sure no matter how much he runs his mouth the pork speaks on its own.
My plan is to inject them with the Chris Lilly's injection recipe "did it before and turned out good" rub them down with mustard and then Lilly's rub recipe. And smoke with Hickory or Apple I can't decide. My question is we plan on eating around noon on Saturday. What time do you think I will need to put them on Friday? Its 8 shoulders weighing in at about 62 pounds. I originally thought about 10:00 pm Friday which would give me about 12 hours. I have an hour drive there and then set up. However I'm now thinking 8:00p.m. to allow a couple more hours. I'm cooking at between 225 and 260 degrees. Do you think I'm allowing enough time? I don't want to be sitting there at 11:00 with them not done! I know last time I did a bunch after 4 hours they were still so hot out of the cooler it burnt your fingers pulling them. So I guess early is better than late! Anyhow any advice would be appreciated. Just don't want to give the other guy anything to talk about : )
Thanks
David
DavidEHickey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

I think your timing will be fine -- be early if you can. Due to their mass (unpulled) butts will hold temperature for a long time when properly wrapped and put in a cambro or cooler. When they hit 195 internal is a good time to pull them -- they'll keep cooking by themselves and easily reach 200-205 (perfectly done) in an hour or so.
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
MikeR
is One Chatty Farker

I think I would go with the 8:00 pm start to be safe- just make sure you wrap and cooler good to hold temp when you're done and you'll look like a hero. Good luck.

GRIM REAPER SMOKERS [B]-[/B] [I]"BBQ To Die For"[FONT=verdana, arial]™ [/FONT][/I]Under the [B]"LENIENT"[/B] direction of Pit Master Tim.

22.5 OTG, 18.5 OTS, 18.5 WSM, Chargriller Duo with optional side fire box.
[COLOR=red]"Founders Club" Operation BBQ Relief.[/COLOR]
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Glad to hear that they're not going with the char-burnt approach. Good luck!!!
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd go for the 8:00 start time. Wrapped and coolered those suckers will stay warm forever. What type cooker you using?

Old 09-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
DavidEHickey
Full Fledged Farker

Well my cooker is actually a dreaded gasser : ( but it works well. Heres a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009 jerky4.jpg (56.9 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Q3.JPG (174.3 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg tday17.jpg (84.4 KB, 119 views)

Old 09-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

I'd add about six hours to the shortest length of time you think they could be done for holding hot in coolers that long if you had to, and without doing the math would definately start sooner than 10 o'clock.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Oh, thought you were cooking shoulders, so I didn't guess as I have no experience with whole shoulders.

With butts avg. 7.75 a pound, I give 'em two hours a pound cooking at 225-250 in my wsm. I figure better safe than sorry, and if temps average at 250 or more, they'll hold for several hours in the coolers.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEHickey View Post
Well my cooker is actually a dreaded gasser : ( but it works well. Heres a pic
All that matters is the taste, and you've got that down pat.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you start earlier than 10, I think you'll be less stressed. One or more of them may be stubborn...if they're done early, like others have said, they will stay very hot as long as they are wrapped and in a cooler or coolers.

We did over 200# a couple of months ago and 8-10 hours later, they were still too hot to handle.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2010, 11:40 PM   #11
samann
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I'd start about 8 on Friday, gives you 12 hours to cook, 1 to travel and 3 hours for cooler and prep time (probably takes 30-45mins to pull 6 butts). Better to have a little time on your hands
samann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2010, 11:53 PM   #12
The Grill Sergeant
Full Fledged Farker

I've only cooked 4 butts at a time - abt 33 lbs total. Each smoke, they took 12 hrs. On 1 of those cooks, it wrapped them, put them in the cooler and left them on the deck til morning (6 hrs or there bouts). They all turned out perfect. I agree with Samann... I would rather have extra time rather than not enough.

Of course, you know the loud mouth, will never be satisfied. He'll find somethin wrong and flap about it. Ur finished product will be the ultimate judge. Keep us posted!

Old 09-24-2010, 06:39 AM   #13
Sweet Breathe BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Don't forget to include time for pulling, depending on how many people you have helping you out and method, this can take some time for 8 butts.
Sweet Breathe BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2010, 06:35 AM   #14
DavidEHickey
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the help everyone. I was a little worried at the start, 62 pounds of Pork Shoulder about maxed out my smoker had one more empty shelf but did not have the height needed to fit the shoulders. I did finally manage to arrange all 8 shoulders. I put them on at 9:00 p.m. stayed up most the night checking on temperature and wood. It stayed about a perfect 250 all night. I pulled all 8 at 8:00 a.m. at 195 degrees. A couple of the smaller butts got a little higher than I'd like but they were still alright. Unfortunately I did not get any photos, didn't think about it till too late. I double foil wrapped them all and into the cooler with a towel covering them. Got to the club at 11:00 and started pulling. So hot I had to wear gloves. I pulled 3 and the picnic started at 1:30. With all the food we had "Burgers, Bratts, Polish sausage, Hotdogs" they barely ate the first 3 I pulled. Had 5 whole shoulders left over. I pulled all 5 of them at 6:00p.m. and they were still hot enough to burn your fingers! But I have a lot of pork to vaccum seal for our next event! Had lots of compliments on the pork and lots of requests for left overs to go!

Old 09-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #15
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

CONGRATS. I learned about the wrapping in foil and putting in a cooler [warmer] here
on brethren and man does it ever keep them warm!!!
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote