MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
LouCfur
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Brisket Flat Pastrami and Smoked Point

I been wanting to do some pastrami so I picked up a small 9 lb packer at Wally World. I've smoked corned beef a few times but wanted to take this one the whole 9 yards.

I decided just to use the flat for the pastrami and smoke the point as its been quite a while since I've done any brisket. Trimmed of most of the fat and split the point and flat apart. I now understand why a trimmed flat cost so much more than a whole packer. Lot of fat trimmed off.

Point

Flat

Rubbed the point with mustard and my own seasoning.

And into the smoker.

The flat went into a curing brine of water, pink cure, garlic power, cbp, paprika, and kosher salt.

This will cure for 7 days in the fridge and smoked this coming weekend.

Smoked the point with apple @ 225o for about 8 hours until it hit an internal temp of 165o. Foiled with some mop and brought it up to 195o. This was without a doubt the best brisket I've ever done and I'm not sure what I did any differently but the taste and moistness was perfect. Forgot to get a shot of it sliced.

Could be this is the first time I've ever separated the point and flat before smoking but I don't know.

Anyway, I'll be adding pastrami pics to this thread this weekend as that develops.

Lou

Old 02-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
jasonalan724
Full Fledged Farker

I have been wanting to do this myself, can't wait to see the pics, where did you find the brine recipe?

Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire… Exodus 12:9

4 UDS' - Rolling Rotis Hog Cooker - Weber Kettle Resuce Collection - ECB - Lodge Cast Iron Collection - HF Weed Burner - ProQ CSG - Super Fast and Accurate White Thermapen - 4 tap homebrew keezer - 10 gallon all grain single tier keggle build
jasonalan724 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Lou, it looks and sounds tasty! You'll never go back to store bought corned beef.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
gtsum
Babbling Farker

I have never done pastrami but am going to give it a whirl sometime soon...I am looking forward to your finished pics!
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
deguerre

Looking good Bro! Can't wait for the end results.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
bigabyte

Looks great!

I love making homemade pastrami. Can't wait to see some pastrami pics!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Hot pastrami, yeah . I've never cooked the point by itself for sliced - that sounds good!
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
Boat-n-BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Go bro, I got do one of these..

2 Bubba Keg Convection Grills
4 Big Steel Kegs
w/BBQGuru DigiQ's
KCBS/CBJ
Boat-n-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 11:32 PM   #9
DFW Big Tex
Got Wood.

I will try the pastrami for sure. I have never done one and look forward to seeing the final result.

I often separate the point and flat if I am going to cook on a pellet grill like a Traeger. High heat 17 lb packer pre trim cooked @ 300 - 350 (medium) for four hours or setting up the same for 225 (low) for 8 to 12 hours doesn't seem to matter to the final product. The flat and point come out great every time as long as I take the internal temp of the brisket up to at least 195. Of course I have to pull the point sooner than the flat and no foil is needed when I do one this way. Just a rest double wrapped in butcher paper in a cooler for an hour or two is very bark friendly.

The best part about separating and trimming out the fat before smoking is the BARK. You have more surface area to rub and penetrate with smoke and there is no mess to deal with post cook. I don't have the courage to separate the point and flat prior to cooking over coals but I have no real reason for not trying to do so.

I can't wait to try my own pastrami. Thanks much for sharing
DFW Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 06:36 AM   #10
LouCfur
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonalan724 View Post
I have been wanting to do this myself, can't wait to see the pics, where did you find the brine recipe?
I kinda used the recipes out of Rytek Kutas - Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing boook and Len Poli's web site recipe. Took a little from both and added a couple of things on my own that shouldn't screw it up.

I still have to coat it with CBP, corriander, and mustard seed before it gets into the smoke. Hoping for some good hot pastrami samiches for the Super Bowl.