BBQ Injestions, what"s your pick?

ArnieTex

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Wanting to experiment with some injections so just curious what you guys see or hear of the most often used by the teams in the winners circle? Found this thread from 2009 but would like some more up to date opinions before I drop the cash? No asking for secret recipes just curious what most winners use since there are so many out there now.

The 3 most common ones would be FAB, Butchers, and Kosmos, I would think.

Yup! Any one of these three will get you where you need to go. Start out with their basic injections. The butchers prime, or Kosmos Reserve is their basic injection plus their rub. If you want your own flavor in there get the basic injection n add your own rub.

I dont inject chicken; grilled chicken doesnt need injecting IMHO...

Pulled pork, I do inject, but I stick to my own personalization of apple juice, worchestershire, and some of rub...

Beef, I think most who inject use their favorite of Kosmos, Butchers, and/or FAB. I haven't tried FAB. I prefer Butchers over Kosmos, but that has more to do with which one goes better with my rub...

You'll want to settle on a rub, then try the different injections with it to see which goes best. Also, for me, we found that they can get more than a bit salty. Also, I didnt care for them mixed with beef broth. I use the injection watered down more than the recipe calls for, and leave it out to "set up" overnight before injecting...

We inject pork and brisket, but we make our own injections for both categories. I have used butchers products with success, but there is a definite flavor to butchers products that I am not a huge fan of. This being said, there are a TON of teams that are very successful with these products! I also know a lot of very successful cooks that make their own injection using apple juice, vinegar, hot sauce, sugars, etc. for pork and a beef base/beef au jus thing for brisket. I would suggest trying several variations and seeing what fits your style and flavor profile the best.

People win with all the the major products and their own mixes, it's all just preference and what works for you. There are even people who win w/out any injections! :shock: lol

lol, so whats a bbq injestion? Just saw my misspelled title, thanks for the replys will start the R&D.

I typically "injest" whatever BBQ is in front of me!

Seriously though, for brisket I like Beef Base mixed strong enough so that its about as salty as the water you would boil seafood in.

lol, so whats a bbq injestion? Just saw my misspelled title, thanks for the replys will start the R&D.

I typically "injest" whatever BBQ is in front of me!

Seriously though, for brisket I like Beef Base mixed strong enough so that its about as salty as the water you would boil seafood in, and then I add phosphates to it.

It should go with out mention what I would vote for. I would suggest that this is the best time of all to try all three. With our Trade In program, after purchasing one and you don't like it trade it in for a like product of Butcher BBQ's. My goal is to just allow everyone a chance to learn about injecting with out it costing so much. I offer this because I feel regardless of who's product is chosen we have introduced one more to the world of injecting.

While there are some great injections on the market (personally I use Butchers). Don't pass up a decent recipe. In his cook book "Slow Fire", Ray Lampe has a great recipe for pork injection. Dr. BBQ's recipe has served me well. It's placed me well in competitions, and even won a few People's Choice Pork events.

Back