MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

Default Pork Shoulder

Today I did my first pork shoulder where I was actually paying attention to what I was doing, and focusing on comp-ready pork. IT cooked a little faster than I anticipated, but only by about 45 min, so it was in the wheelhouse. This is the first time I have set a time to finish, and I was actually done when I said I would ( woo hoo ). The cook wasn't without challenge. I lost a bunch of heat during a pretty big rain storm, but still managed to keep my cool, and keep things under control. The pork was at 199 internal temp when I pulled it off the grill.

So, fast forward to "pulling time" My plan was to slice the money muscle, and pull the rest. When I pulled the bone out, the muscle broke in two, and I am not altogether sure I could have sliced it. It broke apart REALLY easy. So, I am wondering, did I pull it off at too high a temperature? The flavor and consistency was great everywhere else, but this one item is bothering me. So in theory, what could I have done better here?
jcpetro97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

When I plan on slicing, I pull it off in the 185-190* range. I think the 199* is pushing it for slicing.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyboy View Post
When I plan on slicing, I pull it off in the 185-190* range. I think the 199* is pushing it for slicing.
Thanks!! I'll have to try that next time...
jcpetro97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

For comps...if you're serious about them (I'm not and I don't do them...) you should cook multiple butts and/or shoulders. Cook some to pull and some to slice. Good slicing meat isn't always pullable. Good pulled meat can be very difficult to slice.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

^^^ what cook said, and I do take comps seriously. I'll cook no less than 3 for something like KCBS; usually 4. 2 come off at about 180 degrees, the other two off right at 200. I identify which ones ahead of time; meaning I choose the 2 with the best looking money muscles and trim them accordingly.

Sliced pork doesnt pull properly and visa. versa.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote