• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rubs and Sauces

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone used jello in their rubs to good effect? What were the ratios?

and

Has anyone tried the sauce recipe used by the Shack bbq joint? And if so, did you use the grape soda? Was it any good? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Eric

Someone did jello a few weeks ago and posted, sorry I forget who...

Jello brings to mind other flavored powders. I wonder if you could use Tang, Country Time Lemonade, or KoolAid flavored powders in rubs and sauces?

I've made some money off the shack sauce selling it at work. I make it with water instead of the grape soda. I personally don't like the sauce at all, but the people I work with suck it down like liquid gold.

Yes you can use Jello in rubs. I have a friend that uses Cherry Jello in his rub in competitions and does very well. I don't know the ratios or amounts he uses. Add a little to your basic rub recipe and continue to add until you get the flavor you are looking for. The Cherry jello when rubbed on wet meat will turn the meat and your hands very red, so use gloves!!

Someone did jello a few weeks ago and posted, sorry I forget who...

Now who was that...I'm try to put my finger on it...it's just not coming to me right now :biggrin:

I started experimenting with cherry jello a couple of weeks ago & my experiments have been met with great enthusiasm. In fact I will be using the new rub in Princeton, WI this weekend at the Burning Down the Fox comp.

All I will tell you at this point is I use the jello in place of sugar :biggrin:

Jello brings to mind other flavored powders. I wonder if you could use Tang, Country Time Lemonade, or KoolAid flavored powders in rubs and sauces?

I use Lemonade mix all the time in my rub. Works great. I'm going to branch out a bit and try the raspberry lemonade mix or the strawberry lemonade mix and see how that works.

Eric

All I will tell you at this point is I use the jello in place of sugar :biggrin:

On a one for one basis?

Eric

I've made some money off the shack sauce selling it at work. I make it with water instead of the grape soda. I personally don't like the sauce at all, but the people I work with suck it down like liquid gold.

Did you try the grape soda and decide that you like it with the water more? Or have you not tried it with the soda?

Thanks,

Eric

I make a batch every year. my friends thinks it's great too. I use the grape soda, but have cut the black pepper down a bit.

Back