MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
bproffer
Take a breath!

Default #'s help

We've been asked to cook for a church function. The meal will consist of chicken quarters, pulled pork, 2 sides (rice and green salad), rolls and dessert. We were told to plan on cooking for 500 people. Talking to people in the know, they say that usually only 350-400 people show up.

We are donating our time and the church is reimbursing for the cost of the food. We are not making any money on the deal, but I don't want to buy too much or too little meat. I am thinking 100lbs of chicken quarters and 80 lbs of pulled pork (cooked weight). Do these numbers look right? I don't mind to much about having too much meat, but don't want to have too little/run out. We will have 4 buffet lines and may or may not have people serving.

What do you think?

Old 08-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

The big question is, how many people will take both meats? How much are you figuring a chicken quarter weighs?

I think I would go with at least 100# pulled pork. The chicken is going to be tricky.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
bproffer
Take a breath!

Yeah. I'd rather do all pulled pork or all chicken, but my Santa Maria grill can't handle all the chicken at once.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I would buy the quarters already cut and buy a set amount. I can get 14 head of chickens in a case that is cut into individual pieces and the chickens are between 3-3.5#. I ordered them by mistake, and had to use them. Distributor won't take fresh chicken back. The case I received was between 47-48#. I don't know if that helps. Maybe someone else that deals in quarters will chime in.

Good luck.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Old 08-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
bproffer
Take a breath!

Maybe I should spatchcock whole birds or half birds and then quarter them once cooked?
Old 08-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I would buy the half chickens and then quarter. What are you going to do when people take more white meat than dark?

Μολν λαβέ
Old 08-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I'd do 125lbs cooked pork and 1pc of chicken per person be it leg or thigh. If you cooked quarters I would cook 220-250 quarters and cut them in half.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you are serving pulled pork and chicken quarters be prepared to see a lot of waste.

It is human nature to pile the plate because the food looks good and they want to eat everything there. Soon before the plate is half finished the stomach is full...

I would go with individual pieces of chicken, they can always go back for a second piece if desired.

I found that servers also help to minimize waste, we let everyone go through the line once and then let people come back for seconds on their own accord...

But you have to decide what is best for you and the organization..
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote