MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

Default Maiden smoke postponed again...

Okay, so today was finally supposed to be the day for the first cook on the new WSM 22 that I bought myself for Christmas. Had a rack of very meaty spares and a four-bone pork loin roast (six pounds with tenderloin attached) dry-marinating in the fridge overnight and odest daughter, son-in-law and only grandson scheduled to be here for dinner. Got up early, wiped down new cooker and washed the grates, installed probe grommet, and was preparing to fuel up right at noon. Phone rings, daughter has to attend baby shower for her sister-in-law, so dinner postponed until Sunday. Lord, give me patience and give it to me NOW! (J/K Lord)

Old 01-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Argh!!!!

Old 01-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Guess I'm an AZZhole of the first order I would have cooked it and ate a kings feast when they show up on Sunday I'd be serving VandeCamps and BarS hot dogs. Don't forget the Red Bull and Rice Krispie Teats for the grand son for after dinner.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Guess I'm an AZZhole of the first order I would have cooked it and ate a kings feast when they show up on Sunday I'd be serving VandeCamps and BarS hot dogs. Don't forget the Red Bull and Rice Krispie Teats for the grand son for after dinner.
That makes me azzhole #2. There is no way I postpone a smoke, especially if I have meat already prepped. Plus a baby shower is for girls, so why aren't the son-in-law and grandson coming?

I even smoke for myself sometimes.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

hah,at least you get to use it! I had plans tommorow that fell through
guess i got to warm up the smoker and get some ribs:) what a chore....:thumbup:
Sent from Galaxy tab

Old 01-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

I would've cooked something, a naked fatty, something for the love of BBQ

Old 01-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Naw....I would have cooked the whole shebang and got them Happy Meals tomorrow. Good excuse is, "well it was out and I didn't want it to go bad", "you know how expensive this is......right", "would you like fries with that?" Trust me next time, they are there and on time.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
What he said.

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

Well, I'm too far out in the boonies to get Happy Meals without them getting cold on the drive back home, so I went ahead and fired her up after church. Learned a few things rather quickly. Cooking on the 22.5 is a lot different from the smaller unit. What everybody says about a new WSM cooking a little hot is true. Couldn't get the thing below 265 with all the bottom vents closed. Dome thermo temp varied quite a bit from the electronic attached to the upper grate with a clothes pin. Spares cook in roughlly the same time as on the offset at a comparable temp, and a 6-pound bone in pork roast takes longer to get to 140 than I expected it to. So, dinner was about an hour late, but the ribs were very close to perfect and the roast was very good although the bone structure in it was not what I though it would be so it was harder to carve. On to the brisket!

Old 01-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Turtle View Post
Okay, so today was finally supposed to be the day for the first cook on the new WSM 22 that I bought myself for Christmas. Had a rack of very meaty spares and a four-bone pork loin roast (six pounds with tenderloin attached) dry-marinating in the fridge overnight and odest daughter, son-in-law and only grandson scheduled to be here for dinner. Got up early, wiped down new cooker and washed the grates, installed probe grommet, and was preparing to fuel up right at noon. Phone rings, daughter has to attend baby shower for her sister-in-law, so dinner postponed until Sunday. Lord, give me patience and give it to me NOW! (J/K Lord)
Remember the phrase from 'Seinfeld'... 'Serenity Now'...
It wan funny then, but helps a little now.
OR
'The best laid plans of Mice and Man aft gang aglee' (sp?)
(or some such drivel...)
I haven't uttered that phrase since English Lit. in the 60s.
CHILL.

Last edited by Ole Man Dan; 01-20-2013 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: ADDITION
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote