oklahoma joe longhorn at home depot

spider22

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I went to the local home depot and they have an oklahoma joe longhorn offset smoker. Now I have seen pictures of the New Braunfels Oklahoma Joe and they look different. I don't know if they are made by a different company. If they are are they just as good. Thanks in advance for anybody that can help. they are usually $479 but they are on sale for $379

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I've lifted the lid on that model before and it seemed like it was made from decent steel. The price was a little high when you can still find good, thick, used ones for sale on CL. YMMV

im not sure, but someone on here will know better. from my understanding the OLD Ok joes were made much better. 1/4" steel ect. the new ones arent as good.

Look at the label closely. The ones had HD around here are made by Charbroil (or somebody) and manufactured in China. Usually the alignment is off on the doors and there are other minor issues. The are huge though and I am sure they are better than other COS's but for the money scour craigslist for a legit thick gauge metal offset.

grilling with offset

I have another question on a unit like this. It might be answered on another thread somewhere but I could not find it. Are you able to get a good enough of a fire in the firebox to get the main chamber hot enough to grill hot dogs and hamburgers. I like to do corn on the cob and other vegetables as well on the grill. I realize by doing this it will not be a direct grill but I also don't want to them low and slow either. I don't want to take 30-40 minutes to do a dog or burger. I would probably like to do a steak or maybe even some brats as well like this also. I was just wondering if this can be done.

I have another question on a unit like this. It might be answered on another thread somewhere but I could not find it. Are you able to get a good enough of a fire in the firebox to get the main chamber hot enough to grill hot dogs and hamburgers. I like to do corn on the cob and other vegetables as well on the grill. I realize by doing this it will not be a direct grill but I also don't want to them low and slow either. I don't want to take 30-40 minutes to do a dog or burger. I would probably like to do a steak or maybe even some brats as well like this also. I was just wondering if this can be done.

Some offsets have a grate in the firebox and you grill directly on that. Seem to me like those that don't have that could be modded pretty easily.

Some offsets have a grate in the firebox and you grill directly on that. Seem to me like those that don't have that could be modded pretty easily.

That's the way I've done it on my offset, but I know other folks have actually built a fire in the smoke chamber and done it there. Grilling in the smoke chamber from coals in the firebox? I kinda doubt it.

I agree, Arlin. Even if you could get the main chamber that hot with coals in the firebox, you'd need to repaint the firebox for sure.

I went to the local home depot and they have an oklahoma joe longhorn offset smoker. Now I have seen pictures of the New Braunfels Oklahoma Joe and they look different. I don't know if they are made by a different company. If they are are they just as good. Thanks in advance for anybody that can help. they are usually $479 but they are on sale for $379

$379 seems like a killer deal

I too am planning on getting a semi-cheap 20" diam. offset, but will wait til next year since my daughter's wedding is in December. I've done some looking though, and you might want to compare this Char-broil version of the Longhorn with the Old Country cookers at Academy Sports. No promises that your store will have all models in stock, though. The last one that I went to in MS had models I didn't even know existed going by what our local store has carried and what's been on the Academy website. Good luck with your purchase, though! I can't wait to get another offset. I just can't quite duplicate the wood fire flavor on my wsm, but it'll be nice for cooking butts or briskets on after I get the "real smoke" on with the stickburner.

id never put coals in my cook chamber. i thought of doing this BEFORE i purchased my smoker. now that i have it... no way. its my baby. fire in the firebox only for me. mine has a grill area above the firebox, but ill prolly never use it.

id say get a nice smoker to smoke things. buy a cheap charcoal grill to grill on. i have a gasser so i just use that to grill.

when i was down in florida i stopped at academy and looked at the old countrys. they arent half bad. pretty nice for a store bought offset. give em a try.

i did a TON of research for my offset. if u want to step it up a bit from the store bought old countrys, then call old country themselves. the ones they make for customers are a higher quality than the ones at academy. thicker steel and such. but they jump in price up to about the 900-1100 mark. but thats the cheapest ones i found using 3/16th steel that are still high quality. after that you jump up to the 1500 big boys. the gators and jj pits of the pit world.

re: my Hondo offset...
Never had a fire in the cook chamber, or cooked in the firebox.
Another reason why we need more than one cooker.

the metal is thinnish. they did add extra to the lid so it seems heavy when lifting the lid. i was kinda bummed.

Wonder who's selling the Longhorn now. I believe Charbroil had bought New Braunfels after NB bought Oklahoma Joe. Just another little picture of Chinese made stuff affecting our standard of living. Before Charbroil entered the picture these things were heavy duty.

The new Oklahoma joe longhorns are not as well built as the originals . You might have some fire/heat control problems with them . Check out Horizon BBQ Smokers , the company evolved from the original Oklahoma Joe's . However , the price is more than double than Home Depot .

As to T-Man's comment about the Horizons, he's dead right, but this "Longhorn" on sale for $379 is a whole lot cheaper than the 20"X36" Horizon that Bass Pro sales for a grand. That cooker comes up a little short though; literally. It's only got a 36" cooking chamber and the longer one is over $1400. Any one know just how long the Longhorn's cooking chamber is? Or the fb for that matter?

I think I am going to change my plans to looking into building a UDS and look for a used offset on CL that is fairly close and really good deal. They seem to be easy and cheap to build and people seem to be able put out some good BBQ and looks like they would be easy to use with quite a bit less tending than an offset. I have access to a few 55 gallon drums but they have had used motor oil stored in them. There seems to be mixed opinions on this being safe to use. I am in the opinion if you clean it out and give it a good burn you will be all set but other people says you will never get that oil out of there.I plan on using one to build a UDS and another one to build a wood burning grill for when I just want to do steaks or burgers and dogs or something similar to that and don't have the time for a slow cook. Building the grill out of the drum doesn't seem that difficult but building a good sturdy stand looks a little more difficult.

I think I am going to change my plans to looking into building a UDS and look for a used offset on CL that is fairly close and really good deal. They seem to be easy and cheap to build and people seem to be able put out some good BBQ and looks like they would be easy to use with quite a bit less tending than an offset.

Great idea there. You can't duplicate the flavor of a stickburner on a charcoal cooker that smolders wood for flavor like a wsm or uds. However, you can get your smoke on with the stickburner and transfer to the more "set it and forget it" cooker and have the best of both worlds. Good luck with it.

Back