Lots of burgers

Two Bears

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Who has tried regular old burgers on a RF smoker?

I was asked to cook a ton of burgers for a work "picnic" and am wondering if they can be done on the RF smoker.
They said there will be about 600 people attending (a lot of kids) and they want burgers and brats. I know I will have enough cooking space on the 500 gallon smoker but wonder how they will turn out if I smoked them like I do ribs or brisket and butts.

I could build inserts that would sit on the reverse flow plate below the cook grate that would allow me to run charcoal below the cooking grates to actually grill the meats like you would on a normal charcoal grill. This would be easy and I could still cook using the fire box to "enhance" with wood flavor.

What do you guy think?

A smoked hamburger is pretty good but trying to properly cook hundreds on a smoker can be a chore. "lots of kids" might not like a smoked burger.

Do pork burgers on your offset at about 300. When done scallop in pans and sauce. Re-warm in the pans for service. The sauce will get sticky. Mmmmm. We did 1600 for a deal 2 years ago and it worked great. Have a local processor grind a whole hog and make the pork burgers. Serve with pickles and onions.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=183402 go buy this and then you got one ........does nice job for large groups.

If you have a local party rental store they usually have them to rent at $50 for 3 days. I know that I have seen Bubba Grills put briquetts on the RF plate but they have a clean out door. I like your idea of putting briquetts in pans under the grate. I might think about having a steel one made that fits on the RF plate so clean up is a snap and is reusable. I have seen Diamond Plate pits that have a charcoal pan for just this purpose that comes from Diamond Plate, that is until they went out of business.

We will also be doing hot dogs brats for those that don't want burgers.

So how so they cook on a smoker?

Would I be better off with the charcoal inserts

What's an "rf smoker"?
I smoke brats and dogs all the time when vending. Just throw them in a pan with juice and let it ride.
I don't think you'd be happy trying to cook with that volume of burgers to smoke,imo.

When smoking burgers , and I love doing it cause you can do a ton in short order , just warn your customers that with the smoke they will turn out pink to red, and some may think they are not done

This has evolved to something much bigger.

I now am cooking the main course - Brisket - along with these burgers, brats, hot dogs.

The original caterer could not "grill" the burgers brats and dogs so they were going to cook ahead of time and re-heat at the event which will probably not please peoples tastes for this type of food so they decided that I should cook everything !

Gets better - they now expect 700 people there.

One good thing is that they are bringing in the brisket pre-cooked and shreaded from one of our other plants ( I work for a very large meat processing company ), so since this brisket is pre-cooked all I have to do is pan it and throw on my smoker to heat (and soak in real smoke) and serve it.
The challenge is still going to be the burgers ! I have decided to make large stainless pans that will sit on the reverse flow plate below the cooking grates and I will be able to grill the burgers as well as run the fire box so they will be getting good smoke while being grilled.

Its going to be busy but a cooler full of beer will keep me going :becky:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...oductId=183402 go buy this and then you got one ........does nice job for large groups.

I actually wouldn't recomend it-I have one, the heat is very inconsistent and it doesn't get as hot as I would like. I should've bought a commercial grade grill (or Ranch Kettle!). In the end I'm going to build a charcoal grill to mount on my pit, wish I wouldn't have wasted $400 on the Sam's Club grill.

If you do end up cooking the burgers in your pit, be warned that they suck up smoke like a sponge-make sure your fire is burning clean when you put them on or they end up tasting like jerky burgers.

When smoking burgers , and I love doing it cause you can do a ton in short order , just warn your customers that with the smoke they will turn out pink to red, and some may think they are not done
get that all the time. just ask them when you cook a steak med. rare what part would be red the middle or the outsides then they get it.

Well the event was a success !

I cooked about 160 pounds of brisket and 300 or so of hamburgers at the same time on the same smoker.
I made charcoal inserts for my big smoker so I was able to "grill" the burgers and also added smoke to them and they were fantastic!
I will try and post pictures once I find my camera.

Thanks for all of the input !

Back