UDS basket help

F

fnnm358

Ok every one I just have to make the charcoal basket for the UDS

Can anyone provide me with some pointers on bending the expanded metel

I have a small grill rack that I am using and would like the basket to fit around it.

tuffer than I thought it would be so I am turning to the Brethren for assistance

take it to a metal fabrication shop, they have a roller
I'm sure they will do it for 5 or 10 bucks as it well take them less than 5 min.

Just measure the outside diameter of your grate then cut your expando about 2 inches longer. lay it on a flat surface (garage floor) and just start rolling it up...first a big circle then gradually work it down until it'll fit on top of your grate. Use a couple of bolts and washers to tie up the loose ends. Attach the basket to your grate with baling wire or a coat hanger and you're ready to burn! :p Check out the "Drum" thread...lots of pics in there too. Good Luck!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

What JD said.

I used a large hammer to help with the bends, slowly work around the bends. Wear heavy leather gloves, this stuff will tear you up. I had to almost sit on mine for a third hand to get the bolts in. Do the middle bolt first and do not tighten it all the way until the other 2 are in. I used 3 on mine, but it's not required, it was just easier on my basket.

Just measure the outside diameter of your grate then cut your expando about 2 inches longer. lay it on a flat surface (garage floor) and just start rolling it up...first a big circle then gradually work it down until it'll fit on top of your grate. Use a couple of bolts and washers to tie up the loose ends. Attach the basket to your grate with baling wire or a coat hanger and you're ready to burn! :p Check out the "Drum" thread...lots of pics in there too. Good Luck!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

Ditto......

By imn88fan

thanks everyone I will et it done then post some pics next weekend will be the maiden voyage will do a pork butt for sure maybe even a chuckie

Ok basket is complete it is 13" dia. and 11"tall should get some long cooks

img067.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back