Ribs: Rack or Slab?

Rack or Slab?

• Slab - A rack is something totally different :)

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • Rack - Words can have different meanings ya know! :)

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Who cares as long as they are not boiled.

Votes: 48 52.2%

• Total voters

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So... I've seen ribs referred to as a rack of ribs and a slab of ribs. Which do you use? Is this a geographical thing like grocery bag vs sack or pop vs soda vs whatever?

Most of the time I use rack. A slab sounds like concrete to me. And it is soda and bag :)

I have heard that a RACK is a portion of, usually half of, a full SLAB.

Bear in mind, I may have no idea what I am talking about. I DO know I have a few slabs cooking right now.

(And this brings up a topic I was thinking about today. Does anybody pre cut their slabs in to 3-4 rib portions BEFOR cooking? It seems they might cook slightly quicker, but there are lots of reasons to do this, especially if serving folks 'hot off the grill or in vendoing scenarios. Thoughts?)

Wiki agrees with me, which means I am almost certainly wrong:

"Ribs of beef and pork are a cut of meat. The term ribs usually refers to the less meaty part of the chops, often cooked as a slab (not cut into separate ribs).
They can be roasted, grilled, or smoked.

A set of ribs served together (3-4 or more), is known as a rack (such as a rack of ribs).

In American cuisine, ribs usually refers to barbecue ribs, which are served with various barbecue sauces. They are served as a slab of meat which diners customarily tear apart by hand, then gnaw the meat from the bone."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribs_(food)

Ribs are like deer huntin' (both two & four legged ones). I likes a nice rack!

I say Rack. I made that gun rack, I want a rack of ribs, she has a nice rack. Yep rack is the way to go for sure.

Rack - and I will take them all day long.

Both uses are appropriate as long as they are not boiled. Once boiled I consider them arse!

What's better than a nice rack?

Slab... sounds a bit prison foodish to me or old wagon trail grubbish to me. I imagine some greasy guy named Cookie throwing boiled meat on my plate.

Back