• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lump vs. Charcoal

I use a BGE and lump is the only reasonable option because I cook low and slow. I have cooked 15 hours without a refill on the lump. I am a believer for my style of cooking. But yes, it is more expensive.

Maybe it is different plants producing it, or maybe it is rough shipping. Don't know. But Cowboy is junk here in Chicago.

I think you are on to something here. I generally shy away from damaged bags and find that some stores always have better-treated product regardless of brand. And from what I understand, some manufacturers (Kingsford comes to mind) have regional differences based on where the product is produced/bagged/distributed. I've used Kingsford for years (first blue bag, now comp) and have always had great consistency and results, while RO (those few times I've used it) has been all over the map in terms of quality.

To be fair, I have only tried Cowboy twice, and both times were months apart and purchased from different stores. Each time was also to fuel a cheap offset. In both cases, the problem I had was that literally half of the bag (by volume, not weight) was dust or fine particles that could not be used, making the charcoal rather expensive to use in terms of usable fuel per dollar spent. Also, the burn quality was undesirable for me, in that it burned very quickly, and produced a lot of sparks throughout a great deal of the burn. Even so, it was usable, and I did cook with it. I would just prefer to buy any other brand is all. So, I suppose this might work for some if it's their only option, or perhaps there are regional differences like has been recently mentioned, but since I have so many better options here, I would never recommend Cowboy because there are so many other brands of lump I have used that I have had far better experiences with.

To be fair, I have only tried Cowboy twice, and both times were months apart and purchased from different stores. Each time was also to fuel a cheap offset. In both cases, the problem I had was that literally half of the bag (by volume, not weight) was dust or fine particles that could not be used, making the charcoal rather expensive to use in terms of usable fuel per dollar spent. Also, the burn quality was undesirable for me, in that it burned very quickly, and produced a lot of sparks throughout a great deal of the burn. Even so, it was usable, and I did cook with it. I would just prefer to buy any other brand is all. So, I suppose this might work for some if it's their only option, or perhaps there are regional differences like has been recently mentioned, but since I have so many better options here, I would never recommend Cowboy because there are so many other brands of lump I have used that I have had far better experiences with.

I would be lying if I didn't say I'd run into the dust and/or fine particle thing on more than one occasion; that's why I am a bit pickier on grabbing the bags off the shelf. I intend to try some other brands this summer when more variety appears in the stores again, and if I find one I like better than Cowboy (price, burn quality, ash production, extra goodies in bag) I will happily switch brands. In the meantime, I've got a stash in the garage that should keep me going for awhile and will need to be used up regardless... :becky:

I use a BGE and lump is the only reasonable option because I cook low and slow. I have cooked 15 hours without a refill on the lump. I am a believer for my style of cooking. But yes, it is more expensive.

royal oak and bge are the same stuff (in case there is a price difference). (you may already know this. forgive me if you do.)

Back