• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Fresh ham vs partially cooked ham

samfsu

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I plan on smoking a ham for thanksgiving. Would you use a fresh or partially cooked, and why? I've read a few threads on here and I'm still unsure.. Help oh wise brethren.

for sure i don't like the spiral cut ones. i get the ones that are cured but need to be cooked.

fresh hams are uncured and would end up like pulled pork.

Cooked hams are great in the smoker!

I just had this conservation with a friend on Facebook. He asked me to smoke his fresh ham for him. I had to explain to him the difference between a ham and a fresh ham. A ham is a cured smoked ham which is actually fully cooked. A fresh ham is just a big pork roast if you try to cook it in an oven. If you smoke it, you won't have a ham, you would have about 10 lbs of pulled smoked pork. The only way you can get a ham out of a fresh ham is to cure it prior to smoking it.
So to answer your question Sam, if you are planning on smoking something for Thanksgiving, you don't want a fresh ham because you will get pulled pork. And I have never seen a partially smoked ham. They are fully smoked and there is no since in smoking it again because it is already smoked. If I were you, get a butt portion of a smoked ham, throw it in the oven and get a nice big turkey and smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving along with some MOINKS and ABT's. Good Luck.

A little more info, I will cure the fresh ham first. Like I said I have done the research and know the difference between a ham and pulled pork. I'm looking for people who have done this. I appreciate the comments but really am looking for someone who has done this and has insight

A little more info, I will cure the fresh ham first. Like I said I have done the research and know the difference between a ham and pulled pork. I'm looking for people who have done this. I appreciate the comments but really am looking for someone who has done this and has insight

So you have a 4 Needle injector and a Large meat tumbler?

If I had the choice, for ease of operation, I'd smoke a smoked ham. If I had the time, and wanted to do something special, I'd cure a fresh ham in my super duper, heavy duty meat tumbler (actually just a big bag) and smoke it.

If I had the choice, for ease of operation, I'd smoke a smoked ham. If I had the time, and wanted to do something special, I'd cure a fresh ham in my super duper, heavy duty meat tumbler (actually just a big bag) and smoke it.

Have you done both? Do they taste different? I have never done this before so I am just looking for suggestions. I have read through many if not all of the double smoked ham forums on here and they do look good but I always think I can do things better ;)

I've done my fair share of hams. Not really sure what you want to know but I'm willing to help you out...

Cheers

Thanks Phrasty. I am just trying to decide if it is worth the work to cure a fresh ham vs buying a partially cooked one :) THoughts? Oh and I read your entire post the other day, WOW ! :)

I've never tried to cure a ham, but I have done corned beef, and my home cured corned beef is much better than store bought, so I would expect that a home-cured ham would be better. If you have the time, and a place big enough to keep it cold while curing, go for it!

Thanks Ron, I have a "spare" fridge in the garage so i use that for my brining, turkeys, ham etc. I am going to do the fresh ham I think. SHould be fun!

Just read Phrasty's thread about his huge ham cook... And now I am convinced i need to do one! It is a very detailed thread, thanks for the info! Next challenge is finding a fresh ham in memphis!

Back